Opinions on udr vs losi super baja rey 2.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I'm looking for a large scale desert truck and the three I've found are the traxxas udr losi baja rey and the arrma mojave 6s. I'm looking to buy a slider or roller as a start and build it from there as the 1000 dollar price tag is a little out of reach for a rtr. Anyone have these and let me know which is better for just flat out beating in the sage brush desert here in Idaho I would appreciate it.

I'm looking for a large scale desert truck and the three I've found are the traxxas udr losi baja rey and the arrma mojave 6s. I'm looking to buy a slider or roller as a start and build it from there as the 1000 dollar price tag is a little out of reach for a rtr. Anyone have these and let me know which is better for just flat out beating in the sage brush desert here in Idaho I would appreciate it.

If you haven't done so, there's a number of YouTube videos comparing all these trucks. I've watched a number of them because I also want one haha. The general consensus is that the Mojave is the most durable and better handling. SBR offers the best scale experience and is pretty durable. The UDR offers a scale driving experience but lacks durability compared to the other two.

After seeing all of them in person and wasting a ridiculous amount of time on watching and reading reviews. I've completely ruled out the UDR. Now the SBR is a bit larger than the other two and more expensive, so it's not completely fair but I'm really leaning towards a SBR. The scale detail is fantastic and it just looks badass. If you want a good roller option, the Mojave exb would be my choice. A lot of SBR roller/sliders don't have wheels or body. The body is pretty expensive.

I'm leaning towards the sbr myself. I plan to build it as funds free up so that's just inherent with no body or anything else. Thanks for the info as it really helped

Both are very cool rigs but my choice would be the Losi simply because it's 35" long.

The super baja was my pick .it ran great for about 3 months then after a few hard landings some top speed endos I had rear diff issues replaced rear diff with 1 a friend made .issues never returned sold used for what I put in it total... not a apples to apples comparison.6/8 1/6/1/7 arrma more of a prego 1/8

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the losi. That's some good real world info @tntpoof. I appreciate the advice. I'm sick to death of traxxas always breaking. I want more durability than they offer. I had an original xxx-s years ago and I couldn't kill it. So I'm gonna try losi again

It ain’t quite as big, but I highly recommend the Mojave EXB roller kitted with your choice of electronics. Most rugged truck I’ve ever owned, and not by any small margin. Not great for huge sends, but no desert truck is. SBR and UDR have solid rear axles, better for scale realism but don’t handle nearly as well IMO, as well as being a real PITA to work on. Just depends on what kind of experience you want, I guess. For scale driving I’d go SBR all day long. For hardcore bashing fun, go Mojave and never look back.

Appreciate all the support for the non-traxxas models. I do however, own the udr and find it to be an outstanding r/c. You have to drive "to scale" to fully appreciate it's presentation. Most people find it hard to keep it out of basher mode and the weak points on this r/c become apparent. After watching countless you tuber videos on the sbr 2.0, mojave, and udr, I'm convinced that anything can fail if you push it beyond it's intended design parameters and that's what folks typically do.

I have both and have time to at least have formed an opinion. I was equally impressed with both when originally receiving them. Both are impressive. After having used both several times the differences became more apparent. The scale appearance and it's scale function are superior to the sbr. The ease of use of the udr exceeds that of the sbr. Sometimes I feel the sbr is just too big. The traxxas pro scale seems a perfect balance for ease of use. The electronics in the traxxas operate smoother and appear just as robust as the losi. The only thing I can note as being functionally superior on the losi is the steering servo. The udr servo seems slower to respond and has a history of being weak and often replaced. I'm not a basher and tend to treat these expensive trucks as shelf queens but most reviews give the durability edge to the sbr. I have no personal observation having broken nothing on either truck. Good luck with your choice. Personally I feel traxxas just got this one done better.

I agree
I have both and have time to at least have formed an opinion. I was equally impressed with both when originally receiving them. Both are impressive. After having used both several times the differences became more apparent. The scale appearance and it's scale function are superior to the sbr. The ease of use of the udr exceeds that of the sbr. Sometimes I feel the sbr is just too big. The traxxas pro scale seems a perfect balance for ease of use. The electronics in the traxxas operate smoother and appear just as robust as the losi. The only thing I can note as being functionally superior on the losi is the steering servo. The udr servo seems slower to respond and has a history of being weak and often replaced. I'm not a basher and tend to treat these expensive trucks as shelf queens but most reviews give the durability edge to the sbr. I have no personal observation having broken nothing on either truck. Good luck with your choice. Personally I feel traxxas just got this one done better.
I agree with this as I have both aswell, I do push them pretty hard though and the reviews are correct. The udr is not nearly as durable as the sbr but Common, I had to drive it like a basher to break anything on the udr so if used as intended you'll be fine with the udr.
The driving experience after becoming accustome with the way these trucks handle is unmatched but in my opinion the crown must go to the sbr as it is just something to behold when the power is on.