Opinions needed on Sportwerks buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Childresshunt

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
need some opinions on sportwerks 18th buggies are they worth fooling with

---------- Post added at 1:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:20 PM ----------

1/8th and a guy has one without a motor for 50 bucks

well i ended up buying it payed 40 for it i figure i could sell it as a parts car for that but the guy said all it needs is a motor and its ready to go came with the pipe and manifold and servos and he even threw in the old motor which is gummed up and needs a carb but i think it can be cleaned up and will most likely run its still got pretty good compression at the top turning it over by hand. Also picked up a few misc parts bc he had a guy coming to pay 1200 for his whole collection.

---------- Post added at 4:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:48 PM ----------

Oh and its a sportwerks mayhem

20130404_161626_zps63d1f9ba.jpg

thats a pic i took to identify what buggy it is front shock tower has a little piece broke off but stiff functionable diffs feel good everything is smooth and servos and everything are still in working order. ill post some pics of the motor i got with it tonight once i get home i took it apart yesterday to soak it in gas over night it was gummed up. I do have a ? on the piston the the head button tho which i will address when i post pics

Good little beater buggy, run decent on the track when setup well and you get accustom to the handling.

Oooh did I mention it was a good beater!!!
The roof took more punishment then the buggy did that day:lol:
Nice rpms on that engine mod as well;)
th_Buggyhousejump.gif

Looks virtually Identical to my OFNA 9.5 MBX. Its an older buggy but its tough as nails!

dang u almost made it over the house lol i gotta find a carb and pull start for the motor which wont be a problem i found them on ebay. The big ? is if the motor is worth buying the stuff for bc the piston as a spot in the top of it that it looks like something got caught between the piston and head button put a little nick in the piston didnt go thru tho. was wondering if i should leave it as is or should take a dremel and sand the bur down a bit. there wasn't any metal shavings or anything in the motor it was just gummed up from sitting in a tool box i put it in some gas to soak last night.

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

The piston doesn't look work nor the sleeve everything looked really good besides the little nick

Heres what i will need to get it up and going with provided motor. Ill need clutch shoes and springs, flywheel nut, engine mount, clutchbell, pull start, and a carb. I've found shoes springs, nut, pull start and carb. need engine mount and clutch bell any suggestions of something that will work with it

Turmoil

That's not a Mayhem that's a Turmoil. The Turmoil contained some much needed upgrades from the Mayhem. Beefier chassis braces, an ackermann plate, center CVAs, and maybe some more things.

The Turmoil came in two version: an RTR and a PRO. The RTR has 6065 aluminum chassis and "hing ping mount blocks", while the PRO has 7075 grade. Also, the PRO has beefier shock towers.

I once broke the lip of the front shock tower just as you, so I upgraded to the 5mm PRO front tower. I also broke both of the front "hinge pin mount blocks" but could only find the RTR version, so now I'm very careful the few times I'm driving it. Finding spare parts may be a problem for you as well. :(

Good luck with your buggy. I liked mine a lot but I had to buy another (more current) car as I was always scared I'd break something irreplaceable.

pm me if you want a list of URLs with useful sportwerks/mayhem/turmoil information.

Back