Opinion poll time.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have two trucks that are basically the same, just originally sold under different brands (Ofna/Team C TS2/Racers Edge Pro2), that blew the diffs out of both, and, since the diffs arent available anywhere, and, after working with several local guys, we can not find one diff, ball or gear, that will work in the transmissions i have, so, what i am thinking of doing, since the trucks i have are way discontinued, and almost nothing is available for them, is to find a used, more current slider/roller, that i can get parts for, without spending a ton to do so. I am stuck between the ECX Torment/Ruckus, and the Traxxas slash. What i am looking for is honest, not fan boy, opinions on mainly the durability of both trucks. I dont race anymore, i mainly bash (or, as my gf calls it, torture test (i have a few videos of what i do on youtube under this screen name)) my vehicles in various fields and skate parks, so i am looking for something that wont fall apart the first time i launch it 10 feet in the air. Yes, i know both trucks have a reputation for not being the best in the situations i put them in, but, i have a very limited budget for this, and they were the only two that fit that budget.

If anyone has a used, but complete Arrma Fury/Raider chassis that they are willing to part with, let me know, since that would be hands down my first choice.

Both of the trucks i have have a bunch of upgrade parts i am hoping to swap to a new chassis, if i can find one the parts will work with.

EDIT: I will be running on 2S and 3S, so i need something that will hold up to 3S.

Last edited:
I have alot of experience with traxxas stsmpede, rustler, and bandit. They are fun and durable. Parts will be here forever theoretically for them. My stampede was my favorite torture victim, it just keeps coming back.

The brushed system isnt too good, vxl esc isnt any better. If running lipo, you may need to go through the drive shafts to get the truck where it can run without popping or snapping a shaft.

The only issue I see is jumping that high with small tires. Larger tires help absorb the impact.

I have alot of experience with traxxas stsmpede, rustler, and bandit. They are fun and durable. Parts will be here forever theoretically for them. My stampede was my favorite torture victim, it just keeps coming back.

The brushed system isnt too good, vxl esc isnt any better. If running lipo, you may need to go through the drive shafts to get the truck where it can run without popping or snapping a shaft.

The only issue I see is jumping that high with small tires. Larger tires help absorb the impact.
I am very partial to SCT's, and for the most part i avoid any of the smaller stuff, like monster trucks, truggies, and most buggies. As for the smaller tires, that also translates to lower center of gravity, which means less corner rolls, and less rolling over in general.

Id go with the Slash hands down for a couple of reasons. First reason being that ECX is more of a "budget" line that HH came out with years back so I would bet that the Traxxas is probably better overall quality. I say "I would bet" because I've never actually owned an ECX. Best case scenario is (which brings me to reason #2) even if they are same overall quality but Id still pick the Slash just because of the sheer amount of after market support the slash has over ECX. If you did go with the slash Id make sure to get a VXL roller though so it will hold up to 3S.

I can only speak for the Slash but if you go with that then I recommend the Ultimate Slash because it comes with the better more durable parts you will need if you run 3S power. It does have a few vices that probably plaque other RC cars too. They are:

1. The left rear wheel likes to come off and strip the wheel hex. Using the serrated wheel nuts and locktight blue helps a lot.
  2. Dirt tends to get into the opening for the drive shaft and make its way to the spur gear which so sometimes leads to damaged spur gears. The spur gears are very inexpensive though and it doesn't happen often unless your in sand.
  3. There are no body fenders so the wheel will fill the underbody with debris. Aarma does better with this.
  4. If you dont get the Ultimate then the plastic wheel nuckles are weak links but RPM also makes some inexpensive alternatives that fix that.
The great thing about that chassis is aftermarket support for it is huge so parts are plenty and cheap.

I can only speak for the Slash but if you go with that then I recommend the Ultimate Slash because it comes with the better more durable parts you will need if you run 3S power. It does have a few vices that probably plaque other RC cars too. They are:

1. The left rear wheel likes to come off and strip the wheel hex. Using the serrated wheel nuts and locktight blue helps a lot.
  2. Dirt tends to get into the opening for the drive shaft and make its way to the spur gear which so sometimes leads to damaged spur gears. The spur gears are very inexpensive though and it doesn't happen often unless your in sand.
  3. There are no body fenders so the wheel will fill the underbody with debris. Aarma does better with this.
  4. If you dont get the Ultimate then the plastic wheel nuckles are weak links but RPM also makes some inexpensive alternatives that fix that.
The great thing about that chassis is aftermarket support for it is huge so parts are plenty and cheap.
Just curious, does no one make any fenders for the slash?

Id go with the Slash hands down for a couple of reasons. First reason being that ECX is more of a "budget" line that HH came out with years back so I would bet that the Traxxas is probably better overall quality. I say "I would bet" because I've never actually owned an ECX. Best case scenario is (which brings me to reason #2) even if they are same overall quality but Id still pick the Slash just because of the sheer amount of after market support the slash has over ECX. If you did go with the slash Id make sure to get a VXL roller though so it will hold up to 3S.
The thing about aftermarket support isnt an issue for me. I never buy anything aftermarket. I always just replace broken parts with stock stuff. My Losi 22S, IF, not when it breaks, which has been a whole twice, both times in snow, i just got stock parts from HH. As for the Traxxas/ECX debate, i have heard from a few people that they are about comparable durability wise. Whichever one i do end up going with, its just going to be a slider from eBay, as there are several new sliders for the 3 brands (the other is the Losi 22S, if i can up my budget a bit) I'm looking at in the $150 or less price range.

A disclaimer though: All of the aftermarket parts that are on both trucks that i have, were already on them when i bought them. I buy almost every vehicle i have used, typically from eBay, and have for a long time, and then just mix and match parts. The deciding factor will be just how many parts from the current chassis i have i can use on the other chassis, since that means i ultimately spend less overall on parts. My biggest concern on either the Slash or the ECX is the plastic driveshafts. I have a habit of destroying them on my Arrma stuff, so i doubt any of the others will hold up much better.
I was looking through eBay at the ECX Ruckus/Torment chassis, and found a ton of upgrade and aftermarket parts for them, so somebody is supporting them. I found enough aluminum replacement parts to basically turn the entire truck into an aluminum show piece, from places like Hot Racing and RCAWD, in case anyone else is wondering.

Last edited:
The thing about aftermarket support isnt an issue for me. I never buy anything aftermarket. I always just replace broken parts with stock stuff. My Losi 22S, IF, not when it breaks, which has been a whole twice, both times in snow, i just got stock parts from HH. As for the Traxxas/ECX debate, i have heard from a few people that they are about comparable durability wise. Whichever one i do end up going with, its just going to be a slider from eBay, as there are several new sliders for the 3 brands (the other is the Losi 22S, if i can up my budget a bit) I'm looking at in the $150 or less price range.

A disclaimer though: All of the aftermarket parts that are on both trucks that i have, were already on them when i bought them. I buy almost every vehicle i have used, typically from eBay, and have for a long time, and then just mix and match parts. The deciding factor will be just how many parts from the current chassis i have i can use on the other chassis, since that means i ultimately spend less overall on parts. My biggest concern on either the Slash or the ECX is the plastic driveshafts. I have a habit of destroying them on my Arrma stuff, so i doubt any of the others will hold up much better.
I was looking through eBay at the ECX Ruckus/Torment chassis, and found a ton of upgrade and aftermarket parts for them, so somebody is supporting them. I found enough aluminum replacement parts to basically turn the entire truck into an aluminum show piece, from places like Hot Racing and RCAWD, in case anyone else is wondering.
That could be true about the ECX durability. Like I said I've never owned one. I was just concerned that the quality might not be there given their price point. Traxxas is still likely to have factory parts support for the slash longer than the ECX though so Id probably still lean toward the Slash.

Just out of curiousity, if you keep breaking plastic CVDs then why not buy after market steel ones? Sounds like youve already spent enough money in factory replacements to buy the after market parts.

Well don't know what to say as everyone above gave good suggestions. But there's always a issue with what's said.. I wouldn't buy used discounted RC stuff first off. Thats the first problem I see. Save a little more and get the better quality RC with better parts support..And if you want it to be a solid strong RC you got to spen $$.. The stock plastic parts and axles against concrete skate parks is also the problem.. The concrete park always wins hands down everytime.....sounds like you need to spot throwing $$ out the window and go with stronger aftermarket parts. Not aluminum but look into steel... sorry bud good luck trying to find what you need👍👍

The slash should be able to use traxxas hd shafts. If those dont work, jato drive shafts were a mod back in the day.

As for spyrs, I converted to 32p so it can take a little more abuse.

The Slash 2wd is pretty durable once upgraded to RPM parts.

I’d be on the Slash bandwagon here. If for nothing else purely for parts availability and aftermarket upgrades. Anything you do break is available on the shelf.

The Slash would be my recommended choice. Parts availability for sure. Versatile platform if you want to try dragging or oval racing.

The Slash 2wd is pretty durable once upgraded to RPM parts.
All RCs need RPM parts IMO.. I got RPM arms on all of my trucks...they are awesome👍👍

Well don't know what to say as everyone above gave good suggestions. But there's always a issue with what's said.. I wouldn't buy used discounted RC stuff first off. Thats the first problem I see. Save a little more and get the better quality RC with better parts support..And if you want it to be a solid strong RC you got to spen $$.. The stock plastic parts and axles against concrete skate parks is also the problem.. The concrete park always wins hands down everytime.....sounds like you need to spot throwing $$ out the window and go with stronger aftermarket parts. Not aluminum but look into steel... sorry bud good luck trying to find what you need👍👍
I have never had an issue buying used. If it wasn't for the fact that my trucks have been discontinued and parts are pretty much non-existent, i wouldnt even be looking for another chassis to build from. I have held off replacing both of the trucks i have for almost 2 years, but, now that i can't get diff parts, and nothing current will work with my truck, i dont have a choice. Unfortunately, due to finances, I'm stuck with the two choices i listed. Honestly, i really dont want either one. I already have a Losi 22S, and if i could afford to build a truck out of any chassis, i would be using that chassis before any of the others.

What i am going to do is either take this chassis from Traxxas: https://www.ebay.com/itm/294456835100?hash=item448efebc1c:g:4IcAAOSwj6thZdNK&LH_BIN=1 or this chassis from the ECX Ruckus: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274893318962?hash=item4000eb2b32:g:lg4AAOSwzihhDJhs&LH_BIN=1 or this one from the Torment: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274825541354?hash=item3ffce0f6ea:g:fAsAAOSw2ZNgvmJN And then just swap all the needed parts (wheels/tires, electronics, body) from what i currently have.
Just out of curiousity, if you keep breaking plastic CVDs then why not buy after market steel ones? Sounds like youve already spent enough money in factory replacements to buy the after market parts.
Both of my newer Arrma trucks are first gen Mega, and they dont like hard runs on 3S. so, i eventually put them back to brushed, and my stepson runs them now.
I’d be on the Slash bandwagon here. If for nothing else purely for parts availability and aftermarket upgrades. Anything you do break is available on the shelf.
I, unfortunately can't just walk into a LHS and buy parts. The nearest one is over 150 miles away, so i always just order all my parts online and wait for them. In cases like this, i wish i had something local, then i could go in and actually see the trucks I'm considering, which might help me decide. Everything i know about either truck, i learned either by reading forums, or from talking to guys i know here. Here though, Traxxas and ECX arent exactly popular. Its either Team Associated, or TLR, both of which even used chassis are way, way, above what i can afford, which is why i ask on forums whenever its something i have never physically seen or held in my hand. In the last 8 years, i have seen a total of 6 Traxxas, and 1 ECX around here. Within a mile of my house though, i can see a half dozen TLR's, and over a dozen AE's, all at one house.

EDIT: I was the first one in this area to own an Arrma, when i bought my Fury second hand 10 years ago. When i first bought that and my RE Pro2 and brought them to a track we used to have here, you would have thought i brought a group of aliens with me.

Last edited:
if i could afford to build a truck
Why don't you build one part by part. I personally like doing it that way. I think it's more fun and interesting than just buying one..and you don't have to put out so much $$ at one time. A little bit each week or when you can. And then you can get what you want and how you want....Instead of these RTR that end up getting redone anway... Just throwing out a idea for ya. Alot of guys build that way. So it's not such a bit hit to the wallet...👍👍

I enjoy building more than anything. I agree with Stoner, it cost more but buying a few parts at a time doesn't break the bank.

Why don't you build one part by part. I personally like doing it that way. I think it's more fun and interesting than just buying one..and you don't have to put out so much $$ at one time. A little bit each week or when you can. And then you can get what you want and how you want....Instead of these RTR that end up getting redone anway... Just throwing out a idea for ya. Alot of guys build that way. So it's not such a bit hit to the wallet...👍👍
After finding a guy locally who has both a Slash and a Ruckus, and listening to him about both, i decided to go with the Torment, since it is the same as the Ruckus. He said he has basically had the same issues with both, and pretty much replaced the same parts (a-arms, hubs, C-Hubs (on the ECX, the stock hubs are weak, and RPM makes an oversized heavy duty set)) with aftermarket (mainly RPM) parts. As for buying a few parts at a time, i have actually done a list using that idea (at least using the ECX trucks), and, by the time you buy all the parts, it will cost roughly as much as an RTR Torment, and that doesn't include the electronics. I can get a Brand new Torment/Ruckus slider (complete chassis without the electronics, body, tires/wheels) from a kit breaker for $100. A guy in a local FB RC group who owns a shop i didnt even know existed anymore (i thought his old shop closed, but i learned today they just moved farther away) just told me that he has two that were returns (one has a bad servo, the other has a bad ESC) but are pretty much new, that he would be willing to sell me for roughly $50 off retail, and i found a place about 200 miles from me that has all the needed RPM parts for roughly $60 shipped, and, once you add the metal diff parts, I'm all in for roughly $100 over the RTR price. He also has a Slash that has junk electronics, but is basically new, but, by the time i bought that, and all the needed upgrade parts, i would be well over $325, even using my own electronics. Honestly though, when i first realized that my trucks werent going to fixable at some point, which i started researching replacing my truck almost 2 years ago, i looked into both the Slash and the ECX, and was leaning towards the ECX anyway.

Cool Good luck
No offense but what the hell is a ruckus/torment?? Never heard of that RC?🤔🤔