On-Road Touring Conversion To On/Off-Road Rally/Drift?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well growing up I was brought into all nitro Off-Road MT & STs but want to get into this new scene of rally and drifting.Just curious if anyone had some tips n pointers about changin up my N4-Tec 3.3 to a changable On/Off-Road drift & an Off-Road Rally. Tried the electrical tape on all 4 tires to give it that drift taste but was troubled with exessive oversteer and an almost total loss of traction. Also wanted to know if buying aftermarket shock sets or longer shock shafts/springs can push my car up for the rally taste. One last Q, I'm looking all around for some nice wheels and drifting and some Off-Road tires but not sure how big/wide and not sure what can fit..

Thanks for your time guru's!

Hopefully someone can get me some real useful info :D

Last edited:
. Tried the electrical tape on all 4 tires to give it that drift taste but was troubled with exessive oversteer and an almost total loss of traction.

I Would assume that you know drifting is about "controlling the uncontrollable".. .. it's ballet on wheels. Drifting takes a TON of practice, and a calm nerve to master.. .. .. it's most likely the hardest form of RC racing on the planet. Why not look into a drift specific car... like the HPI RS4 Drift kit.... or look into the HPI Drift assistance deal they have out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Would assume that you know drifting is about "controlling the uncontrollable".. .. it's ballet on wheels. Drifting takes a TON of practice, and a calm nerve to master.. .. .. it's most likely the hardest form of RC racing on the planet. Why not look into a drift specific car... like the HPI RS4 Drift kit.... or look into the HPI Drift assistance deal they have out.
I did not know that but everybody drives the RS4s, I wanted to have something differant and convert it so I am unique. Electrical tape over the tires the same or about the same as picking up a set of drift tires?

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not know that but everybody drives the RS4s, I wanted to have something differant and convert it so I am unique. Electrical tape over the tires the same or about the same as picking up a set of drift tires?

That i do not know, i don't "drift" my nitro, well on purpose anyway. The biggest thing to keep in mind you need to feather the throttle to keep in it a drift.

and it's not about pure speed, even the true drift cars (D1 Circuit and Formula D) cars never come close to obtaining their cars flat out speeds. it's about feather the throttle and keeping the car in a "turn" as long as you can.

Here this videos may help.....

video 1

That i do not know, i don't "drift" my nitro, well on purpose anyway. The biggest thing to keep in mind you need to feather the throttle to keep in it a drift.

and it's not about pure speed, even the true drift cars (D1 Circuit and Formula D) cars never come close to obtaining their cars flat out speeds. it's about feather the throttle and keeping the car in a "turn" as long as you can.

Here this videos may help.....

video 1

Awesome man great video, also talked about the DBox Drift Assist Box, would something like that work on a Nitro Traxxas? I am assuming that it would..
Id go to my local hobby shop but they dont know jack about anything except selling parts, shame. LF response from anyone on the DBox :D

grrr, all the hobby shops around can't tell me if the HPI "T-Drift Tyres & Type-A Drift Tyres" and a set of rims for them will fit my N4-Tec? stoopid Utahn's

grrr, all the hobby shops around can't tell me if the HPI "T-Drift Tyres & Type-A Drift Tyres" and a set of rims for them will fit my N4-Tec? stoopid Utahn's

most likely it has to deal with the hex size..... I'm sure they will fit as most Touring cars are all the same size..... just take you car with you and say " if these fit i'll buy em" ... if they don't fit don't buy em,.

most likely it has to deal with the hex size..... I'm sure they will fit as most Touring cars are all the same size..... just take you car with you and say " if these fit i'll buy em" ... if they don't fit don't buy em,.

Lol honestly they dont even carry anything aftermarket, all factory stuff and limited supplies for some stuff but I gotta find out lol if anything, I could maybe change the size of the hex with the same thread pattern. Thanks bud :D for your input

If I convert it into a drifter will that eliminate the chances for a Off-Road rally?
I have heard i need to lower my car as far as i can without affecting forward travel, is this true, cause I have the stock shocks pushed up as far as I can and think that may be one reason for such terrible turns and sliding out of control.... IDK

the tires won't break traction as easy to drift if the chassis sits too high...the shock travel will compress and allow the tire to grip when you don't want it to in a hard turn....Drifting is hard to do w/ a nitro TC....Electric is much better since you have the instant torque.....you can try putting a spool in your rear diff to help with the diff slip...basically a drift car is set up as tight as possible....a rally car needs to be able to absorb rough terrain....those setups usually contradict each other....

Back