Old Traxxas stampede rpm issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroNoobie

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently got an old Traxxas stampede nitro that starts first start perfectly but it’s very slow and the rpm’s are very low. Wondering if anyone could help me out. FYI the fuel is brand new no issues with that air filter was just replaced. The rc car used to do wheelies years ago and ran fine but I can barely drive it now. Also when the tank is extremely low and the car is about to run out of fuel the car’s rpms are very high and it picks up in a lot of speed.

I recently got an old Traxxas stampede nitro that starts first start perfectly but it’s very slow and the rpm’s are very low. Wondering if anyone could help me out. FYI the fuel is brand new no issues with that air filter was just replaced. The rc car used to do wheelies years ago and ran fine but I can barely drive it now. Also when the tank is extremely low and the car is about to run out of fuel the car’s rpms are very high and it picks up in a lot of speed.

That issue sounds more like a tank pressure issue ,were the tank doesn't hold the pressure do to a dried tank lid seal ,it
also could have a dirty tank filter an the carb could be dried up as well ,these issue usually happen when the an RC sits for
for a very long time!
My advise ,is to fix those areas or replace the tank or clean those ,an the carb ,you can use a lube on the needles to help
seal them ,but make sure that you record the turns on the needles for references ,an also ,it would be good to replace
all the old fuel line too!....

So basicly ,I think that you have an air leak in the fuel tank ,causing the engine to starve of fuel ,creating the high rev or
what you would call a lean bog if you will!...:cool:

That issue sounds more like a tank pressure issue ,were the tank doesn't hold the pressure do to a dried tank lid seal ,it
also could have a dirty tank filter an the carb could be dried up as well ,these issue usually happen when the an RC sits for
for a very long time!
My advise ,is to fix those areas or replace the tank or clean those ,an the carb ,you can use a lube on the needles to help
seal them ,but make sure that you record the turns on the needles for references ,an also ,it would be good to replace
all the old fuel line too!....

So basicly ,I think that you have an air leak in the fuel tank ,causing the engine to starve of fuel ,creating the high rev or
what you would call a lean bog if you will!...:cool:
this sounds correct definitely +1 suspected air leak

I agree, sounds like it is starving for fuel.

Last edited: