Old RC10GT drop in engine replacement.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrapMtl

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a cheap "drop in" replacement engine for the old rc10gt?
I was looking at the TRX .15 with pull start. They have a standard and shart shaft version.
Would either one of these fit?
I don;t need a super performer. The stock engine did fine, but the pull start broke, and the engine, itself, doesn't have much compression left.
Honestly, If this little car didn't have so much sentimental value for my son, I'd just replace it, because it's so old. But it was given to him by a friend that had passed away to cancer. So for Christmas I want to restore it for him.
It could also benefit from some new suspension. Anyone know where I can find some shocks?

I did a little more research, and after seeing the rc10gt chassis' out there, I came to the conclusion mine was different.
I then seen a chassis for the RC10 GT2, which is identical to what i've got.
So I need a drop in engine for that one.

You might can try these SH engines ,don't know too much about the crankshaft fitment ,
but can be out fitted with clutchbell adapter ,this engine comes with the period correct carb.,
which you would need the old lever style arm on the carb. ,you would need to watch out for
that because most engine these days are the pull type throttle lever!

I'm just showing what this engine is with this site ,you might can find one in the USA ,or
see if your local hobby shop will order them for you!...:cool:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-SH-18-N...206157?hash=item467e91f80d:g:jl0AAOSwuedbI4aa

Sometimes crank shafts are cut ,an a clutch nut adapters are installed ,here what they look like!

Last edited:
Wow that's a super cheap motor. Yeah I've been seeing the different carbs. Mine is definitely the rotary carb, not a slide carb.
This gt2 is setup alot like my old TC3, I had when I was (alot) younger.
I tried finding a US supplier for that motor, but everything is china direct. Delivery range is as far out as Jan 2nd.
That'll swing past christmas.
I spoke with a Horizon hobbies rep, and he told that the TRX .15 short shaft I was looking at is a direct drop in replacement with no modifications/adapters needed. SO I think I'm going to go that route. Hopefully, he's not lying.

Wow that's a super cheap motor. Yeah I've been seeing the different carbs. Mine is definitely the rotary carb, not a slide carb.
This gt2 is setup alot like my old TC3, I had when I was (alot) younger.
I tried finding a US supplier for that motor, but everything is china direct. Delivery range is as far out as Jan 2nd.
That'll swing past christmas.
I spoke with a Horizon hobbies rep, and he told that the TRX .15 short shaft I was looking at is a direct drop in replacement with no modifications/adapters needed. SO I think I'm going to go that route. Hopefully, he's not lying.

If I was in your position ,I might try one ,but would also rather try to get more of a name brand like
this one!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hpi-Nitro-Star-15-T-15-Engine-With-Pull-Start-New-In-Box/202475175871?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Or an OS engine!

Other options is to go through Tower hobbies ,there you can get discounts or coupons ,free shipping!
This is probably your best bet!...:cool:

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHRDT&P=0
From what I recall, that engine was kind of fussy. And if he's thinking the TRX 15 pro will work, he needs a rotary carb/side exhaust engine. That dynamite is a slide carb/rear exhaust, and he'd need to get a traxxas 2.5 pullstart/owb for it.

Really sucks these days finding decent budget nitro's. 15 years ago, you could find 10 that would drop in. Now you have to scrounge. When I had my losi XXX-NT 20 years ago (my first RC I got when I was 24yrs old), it used a rotary carb/side exhaust and I used an OS 15 CV-R(X) in it. Great little engine. 10 years later, they came out with a OS .18 CV-R(X) that I later ran in an HPI nitro-MT. Was a great little engine for $100.

All you may need for the TRX15 pro would be a clutch adapter nut. If you posted photo's of what you have, that would help us focus in on something for you. Take the engine out, take the clutch bell/flywheel off and post up a photo.

Back