Old People and Technolgy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abadk9420

Broke Down Driver
In Memoriam
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
A good laugh for people in the over 50 group !!!

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter.
I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grandkids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grandkids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it,
and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead, Well, it was not a good relationship.
When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets, and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them in with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.
I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do toot a lot."

P.S. I know some of you are not over 50. I sent it to you to allow you to forward it to those who are.

Us senior citizens don't need anymore gadgets. The tv remote and the garage door remote are about all we need to handle.

I may have to break down and buy a cell phone for emergencies when I travel, but other than that, I am quite content not to be found or on call 24/7 .

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like my parents... my mother calls it "the internets" and their phone service is still rotary (vs touch tone). The phone is a 20lb black phone with a cord that is 50 feet long...

At least they finally allowed us to buy them a DVD player... couple years ago. The whole "digital tv" thing irritated them to no end as none of their TV's are digital ready, so they had to get the converter box's to pick up the 3 channels they get... It would almost be comical if we tried to get them a cell phone or computer.

This is very humorous. Reminds me of my grandpa, and also myself.
Dont get me wrong, i know how to use a cell phone, but its just ridiculous how important people think they are. I dont need an update every 6 hours about your life.

I thought my first cordless phone was the coolest thing in the world. When I first got it, I would go outside and sit in the car to talk to my friends. :hehe:

I'm comparatively young but still think that technology plays way too important of a roll in most people's lives. Obviously younger folks more than older. It irritates me to no end when a conversation gets interrupted, the tv sits on pause for half an hour, cell phones rattling off of tables because every email, tweet and facebook update keeps hammering in all day and all through the night, ect... I could go on forever. Let me have my records and 10 year old rc's and leave me alone.:)

Last edited:
Well, with THAT attitude, see if I ever text you.:whhooo:

A few years ago I was checking out in a small art and hobby store when a girl about 14 came up to the counter and asked if she could use the phone. The lady behind the counter said yes, and pointed to the wall phone with a rotary dial.
The girl walked up to it, stood there and looked at it, then asked the lady, "How do I work this?"

Too Funny! Now I know why I turn my cell off if I don't want to be found.

haha I'm pretty bad. i freaked out because my touch screen, wifi enabled, full slide out keyboard phone broke and i had to go back to using my old piece of crap phone that has the 0-9 numbers on it. this is the worst thing to happen to me in the past couple months. t9 texting sucks, the no wifi is killing me, i can't stand not having a touch screen, i miss all my apps, and i can't listen to my freaking music. I'm addicted to technology...

Hey man, what your saying is all that a lot of folks know. It's just ingrained in ya. I have grown to like texting. I have a herd of younger, female cousins that live back in my hometown. Every few days I send them the, "hi, whatcha up to?" message. I can let them know I'm thinking about them and avoid 3 hours of conversation.:)

For over a week now, I've had some punk texting me, thinking I was the "gurl" he met on Face book or My space or Face Space or whatever. I've cursed him out with every reply and he keeps doing it.
He wnts 2 no y I wont talk 2 him since he thinks I'm beautiful. :D

If he does it again, I'll give him a call in my best Police Sergeant voice as her daddy. :hehe::p:

Sounds like quaart found ya! Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants. Or his.:)

Then I hope it's a kick in the pants for quaart, or a kick in the junk for our resident old fart.

No, but he should clearly see your nuts. :hehe:

LMFAO!!
I hate to think of this younger generation harassing girls just because they saw a picture on "My Face".

Normally it would be some older pervert pretending to be a young kid, but in this case a smart girl already gave some dumb punk a random number.

Now available with fortune cookie...Sum Dum Punk.
"You future be like thorny Bonsai bush. Painful and velly short." :ninja: :chinese:

Back