Ok to use larger lead wire for motor?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lessen

Super Awesome!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Ok, well I finally got sick of the hard wired look that I originally did to my Mini-T when I upgraded the electronics. I never put a connector between the motor and ESC. Although I figure it isn't really necessary to have one I wanted to put one there anyways. I'm not sure if it's a Deans or what but the two prongs are perpendicular to each other. Anyways, I go a little bit of heavier guage (12) because I didn't want to use such a little wire wire with the connector (the esc leads are much larger than the motor's as well). Is it alright up use a larger guage wire vs. stock on the motor?

My electronics:

Baja motor
Orion 7.2v 1200mah batt.
LRP super reverse digital ESC

It's curretly all ready to go but I havn't hooked up the Battery yet. Will this cause a problem?

ok, so I got it goin and everything seems fine. Although I don't think I got as much run time as Iusually do. But the batt. has been on the peak charger for a couple days and it always seems to go away quicker when it's been hooked up for a while. I moved some stuff around to cuz I wanted the esc in front of the receiver so it could get a little more air.

so this seems to be another worthless thread courtesy of LESSEN. Thanks for looking!

The larger gauge wire actually causes less resistance, that causes less heat on the wire, less heat on the wire means less juice wasted on making heat, and leaves more for your motor. That should be easier on your motor and your batts.

If we used to long and skinny a wire for our compressors at work the motors would burn up.

that's kinda what I was thinkin... it's like using a wider hose rather than a narrower one... the heat thing makes sense, although, the motor does seem to get pretty hot. I saw that Integy makes a finned motor protector... I was considering pickin that up, not sure if it is actually necessary or not. well, at least my ESC is a little coolor now without the receiver blocking the fins.

I heard a long time ago that any heat in a power supply wire means there's too much resistance, or too small of a wire to power the thing you are running.

Seems like our compressor cords always got hot when they were too thin.My amp wires for my car stereo always got warm when they weren't big enough too.

As for the ESC and the motor, I think those things make heat pretty much regardless.

As long as the motor doesn't get hot enough to burn the insulation off the windings it should be fine. I think the bearings should hold up better than the windings

Also as long as the ESC doesn't get hot enough to melt the solder inside, or fry electrical components you should be ok there too.

my ESC is stayin pretty much room temp now. it was gettin a tad warm that's why I decided tomove things around a bit.

So lessen how do you like your baja motor, and did you finish your pack yet?

Well since it's the only motor that I know of it seems ok I guess. I never had the stocker as i bought it second hand with the baja already installed. I havn't made the pack yet. I'm a bit low on funds right now with property taxes and stuff comin up. I have a lot of stuff I want to get here in the next couple months. I'm in the process of totally trickin out my mini-t, I wanna get a Triton charger so I'll need a power supply also, I need new electronics for my T-Maxx as I'm swapping the good stuff to my S3 buggy that I should be arriving tomorrow, plus I'm still gonna need an engine and pipe for that as well. Lotsa $$ and lots of overtime. I'll definately keep ya posted on this mini-t with some pics as well... probably within the next month.

oh yeah, how ofton are you supposed to change brushes in these things? When I do get around to building a pack I'm probably gonna build 4 of them so I can pretty much run non-stop, I assume I would need to watch motor temps running for extended periods...is there a certain temp range I need to monitor for electric motors?

Last edited:
Larger wires are always better

In electric R/C cars motors work on low voltage(6-14.4 often,mostly 7.2V)and require HIGH amperage to deliver the high output.

All my current electrics are converted using Deans connectors and 12GA noodle wires.Even the minis(looks funny on minis)!

This way it all goes to the motor,not power loss due to connector or wire loss. :2cents:

Back