OK.....Genesis Limited Edition...?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollarR/C

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've surfed the net from day one of the 1st generation CEN Genesis and saw the very bad reviews, first run issues, ect.
I have also kept my eye on the 2nd generation and it seem that the CEN guys are trying to work out the bugs..which is great..but bugs are a typical thing with a new release truck..nothings perfect.

I've just finished reading some GREAT reviews about the 3rd generation..and now the release of the limited edition i think now is the time for me to pick up one of these monsters.....whats you opinion on the CEN company and thier 17 lb. monster called Genesis?

Now i know many will flat out shoot down this truck, its cool, RC's are nothing different than true 1:1 scale trucks..some are Chevy lovers...others Dodge.
I do not race MT's and dont think i ever will, this truck will be used for backyard, school yard, ect bashing and have fun with my sons and thier nitro MT's.So I'm not looking for that kind of input..just whats your take on the truck and will it withstand normal bashing like the other "popular" trucks on the market?

To set the tone for this thread...i own many RC's both MT's and on-road nitro's & electric's..so I'm no beginner...plus i have an HPI Savage Limited on order as we type.....so that takes care of the "poular" MT for me..Savage's are AWSOME!!

Thanks for the input guys..good or bad i want to hear your thoughts.

Scott

I have often wondered about CEN's customer service also, have never heard much about the company. They do make a few vehicles that are interesting. I too liked the look and size of the Genesis. I know many are the type to bash it, but I think it could be a real fun truck to run.
Good luck with it if you get it and let us know what you think of it.

I won't be one to bash on it. I've seen the thing make it through some terrible beatings in movies at rcpics (got to love broadband). In a lot of cases, it will hold it's own with a savage.

Although, to avoid suspension issues, I'd dump those shocks mounted on their sides... their just begging to be busted. They also force you to mount the body too high for my taste.

My friend runs a Genesis and it's huge. It is very fast for it's size also. To me it's not really worth the money because it breaks very easy, and the local lhs doesn't stock parts. My friend loves the Genesis but got a Savage to beat on cause it's stronger. If you do decide to get one stock up on upper arms and pinion gears these are the most fragile pieces.

customer service can't be beat.I've had a first and 3rd generation genesis and had no problem getting parts replaced.I have a genesis le on its way.I've heard good things about the le.The 3rd generation i had was fine except for the usual radio gear and that comes with most rtr vehicles.The shocks need stiffer springs.Trying to jump a 18 pound vehicle will do some damage. www.rushrc.com has all the parts i need that arent under warranty.Most hobby shops dont carry CEN parts stock but i usually buy parts that tend to break ahead of time.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys guys.

I too have read a ton about this truck and seen lots of Vids on it.

The 1st Generation was bad..lots of flaws.
The 2nd Gen. was better, but still lots of bugs.
I've heard nothing but great reviews on the 3rd Gen....only issue was cheap radio. The Limited Edition takes care of this with a very nice radio.

I too have a Limited on the way and can't wait...I've seen many of these in person and its a true MONSTER truck.

Tommy, i found the upgrade parts on rushrc and another link(i'll post it here when find it again).

You can get many titanium parts for this truck to replace weak plastic ones.
I am lucky enough to have a local hobby store that does sell the CEN products and parts..so everything covered.

can't wait to run this truck..a young kid down the steet has a Savage .28 with loads of purple Alum. parts and thinks its the biggest baddest thing out there...wait til he gets a load of my "little" toy..lol.

Scott

header.jpg

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=457#video

http://www.cenracing.com/frame.html

Also CEN is bringing out many hop-ups for the Genesis too....can't wait.

Scott

genesis.jpg

Scott

i had a gen 46 its a good truck.... it s how you take care of them....

I havnt heard anything good about them, but havnt seen one run. I would like to though, they look pretty nice. But again, Cen is kinda a low end company, and again I havent heard any posotives to them. Good there working out the bugs though. I always thought that 4 wheel steering was awesome. And I love the stock wheels!

Check out the links that i posted above..it will give a full complete review of the truck..pictures, vids and all.

Its a TRUE .46 / 5 hp. truck, not an imitation like the Savage 4.6 which =.28/2.9hp.

Scott

I would take a savage 4.6 over a Cen genesis every day of the week.

Maybe but its all about personal opinion...i know a guy who has a Savage 4.6 and its slow even with a 3 speed. His truck does not perform off road like a true MT should...i personally had a Savage 25 limited ordered..and sold it before i opned the box.
I still can't figure out what all the hype is about with the Savages..i'd take a Traxxas Revo or TMaxx every day of the year over a Savage 25 or 4.6
HPI made the Savage 21, then savage 25..thier new truck is a 28, but they called it a 4.6 to give a false impression.i know guys that swear its the same as the Genesis 46..its FAR from a true .46 5/hp big block..the Savage 4.6cc(.28) only produces 2.9hp....thats why the big "hype" is to drop a real .46 5/hp motor..truckzilla package.
They will have to come out now with a 5hp+ motor to compete with what CEN is doing already..!
But thats MY personal opinion.

Scott

The owner at my LHS says he hasn't sold any replacement parts for the Genesis LEs that he has sold, also describes it as the most bullet proof MT that he has ever carried...

dfn_doe, THANK YOU for that info.
I got the same answer when i called a few LHS and asked what thier thoughts were on the new LE Genesis, they say that CEN has come a long way in a short time to make the Genesis a big player on the MT scene. One guy even told me that he thinks its way better than the MGT , Savage and the other "hot" trucks right now.....he HIGHLY recommended it to me..lol...and he was plum out of them too, said there selling fast to guys that are finding this out.

When i get mine i will do a full review on it and compare it to a few MT's i can get my hands on.........Savage, Revo, TMaxx, ect.

If you want a FAST truck to race...buy a Revo...want a lower cost tough truck, buy a TMaxx...if you want the "in" Truck a put all the "bling bling" on it, buy a Savage..if you want raw HP, massive size and a real beast of a truck..buy a Genesis Limited Edition !!

Nuff Said,

Scott

it's a nice truck from the few I've seen at the track...don't know what version the y were...but it's definately not a jumper....that's the only time I've seen them break.....also they are NOT very fast...if you think the savage is slow you'll be dissapointed w/ the CEN.....it's all grunt and not a lot on top...and when it does hit top speeds it looked a little squirrley (sp?)......change the tires and it would probably handle a lot better......looks cool just sitting there cause it's burley...

not trying to start a flame war but. ...when someone says they would take a tmaxx over a savage anyday I'm uneasy taking any of there other advice

LOL...RP I understand what you mean but I have to say I got a t-maxx first....everyone said the savage was WAY BETTER, and all that stuff.....so I buy one....I tried it all of 2 days and sold it...I chose the Maxx too....not because it's stronger but the geometry is better for racing or just handling....I know out of the box the maxx sucks but I still preffer it over the savage..... :2cents:

dang it plaid ...now i have to rethink / rephrase my last comment LOL

my veiw is of a basher never raced yet ...i just take my savage out to anywhere i see with dirt piles. i agree with whats been said before, the savage IS a brick on wheels (at least in stock form) as your saying you made your maxx tough, I've seen where others pull out the tricks & make there savage handle.. for me i like the savage with cheap parts IF it breaks LOL. instead of a truck with more expenseve hop up parts to make it tough but pricy to fix when / if it breaks .....

i respect plaids opinon if you said dirts good for a engine id ask how many teaspoons shoud i put in :spit:

I'm sorry ya feel that way Pilot, but thats my feelings......my son has an older TMAXX (.15) and its got all the RPM upgrades...it is a jumping bashing machine and a ton of fun......all the Savages I've driven and seen driven just do nothing for me at all....for that much money i'd buy either the 2.5 TMAXX, 2.5 Revo or yes the Genesis LE..over a savage of what ever size(21, 25, 4.6)...thats my personal feelings and I'm sticking to it.

Now my thoughts and my posts about the Genesis is REAL...the links I've posted and the info. about them I've posted are from those in the buisness..you can look it up on the net.
Like them or hate them, the Genesis is an up and comer with lots of cool RTR hop-ups included in the LE, its bash worthy out of the box...only draw back to it is its weight..at 17+ lbs. its not going to be a nimble race/stunt truck...and its not a 50mph. truck...but its been tested at 37 mph which is only a few under the revo, TMAXX, savage, ect.
Sorry if I've upset a few hardcore Savage lovers...but think of it as a 1:1 scale truck debate...I'm a Mopar guy..you might be a FORD guy...same thing goes for R/C's...its what YOU like that counts.

Scott

"if you want raw HP, massive size and a real beast of a truck"

If this is what your truly after, I would say yqa better look at the TT EK4. It's had issues as well, but the newer versions are "supposed" to be better. I saw one run in person, & let me just say, it was an animal.. almost uncontrollable grunt...

I'd love to see those beasts in action... got a .70 mill w/ ringed piston.....ooooooo makes me all warm and gooey......they're real pricey though aren't they?

Back