Ofna/Team C TS2/Racers Edge Pro2 diff/Transmission question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have both a Team C/Ofna TS2, as well as a Racers Edge Pro2, which are basically the same trucks, and both are having the same issue. The Team C/Ofna has a gear diff, and the RE has a ball diff, and somewhere in the transmission they are both binding. Parts are not available for either diff, so, my question is, has anyone ever changed the diff and idler in either of those transmissions with non-stock parts? If so, what parts did you use? I have taken apart, cleaned, and greased the ball diff, and used 30WT Traxxas oil in the gear diff, but, it actually seems like something in the transmission is binding, and not the diff itself. This has been an ongoing issue for months, so, unless i can find a valid solution, i would much rather just upgrade the transmission to something more current that i can get parts if needed for. None of the gears (idler, ring, drive gear on the shaft) look worn anywhere, so it has several people stumped.

I have no experience with either of those. Have you checked all the bearings in the transmission and driveline and all the other places the driveline could possibly bind? That would be my only suggestion.

Are the holes for any shafts inside the transmission in good shape? Any pins floating around in there?

About the best suggestion I can give you is disconnect one part at a time and run it. Keep trying until you remove a part from the drivetrain and find what is binding. Or go in reverse. Engine/motor (electric or nitro?) and tranny. See if it is indeed just the tranny. If not, add the diff back in. Then the axles. Process of elimination will find the culprit.

Are the holes for any shafts inside the transmission in good shape? Any pins floating around in there?

About the best suggestion I can give you is disconnect one part at a time and run it. Keep trying until you remove a part from the drivetrain and find what is binding. Or go in reverse. Engine/motor (electric or nitro?) and tranny. See if it is indeed just the tranny. If not, add the diff back in. Then the axles. Process of elimination will find the culprit.
It is definitely the diff on both of them. The ball diff, the big gear you put the balls in has a bunch of teeth gone, and, the gear diff I found pieces from the spider (4 small gears in the diff) gears where the teeth snapped off. I used the wrong idler on the ball diff, which is what stripped that gear. The gear diff I think it's just because of how old it is, which is causing it to wear out.

It is definitely the diff on both of them. The ball diff, the big gear you put the balls in has a bunch of teeth gone, and, the gear diff I found pieces from the spider (4 small gears in the diff) gears where the teeth snapped off. I used the wrong idler on the ball diff, which is what stripped that gear. The gear diff I think it's just because of how old it is, which is causing it to wear out.
Man that sucks. Not sure what to tell ya there if you can't source new ones. Sorry.

Man that sucks. Not sure what to tell ya there if you can't source new ones. Sorry.
That's why I'm hoping someone, somewhere may have done that upgrade, because I really can't afford to buy a bunch of different diff's to see if any of them will work. It also doesn't help that neither Team C, Ofna, or Racers Edge were very forthcoming with specs, so I don't even know what gear pitch it is.

That's why I'm hoping someone, somewhere may have done that upgrade, because I really can't afford to buy a bunch of different diff's to see if any of them will work. It also doesn't help that neither Team C, Ofna, or Racers Edge were very forthcoming with specs, so I don't even know what gear pitch it is.
@cbaker65 has a lot of experience here with various kits. He might be able to tell you if anything else will fit in there.

Back