Odd Servo Problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T-Maxx

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I picked up a second hand Mayhem a couple weeks ago. I just got around to trying it out Sat.

Fired her up and headed to the street for some shaking out. After my third or fourth pass, I turned it around hit the gas and nothing. I walked up to the buggy and tried turning the wheels...worked fine....T/B nothing.

Off to the bench. I wanted to see if it was a dead servo or maybe a rcvr problem. I plugged the T/B servo into the steering slot and turned the wheels on the TX...nothing. I plugged the steering servo into the T/B slot and pulled the trigger....wheels turned. From this I decide the servo is dead. At this point I switched my attention to other things.

Monday; I dig around through the boxes and find a stnd servo to put on the Mayhem. First though I give the old one another chance...who knows maybe I didn't have it shoved into the RX far enough :shrug:

Low and behold it works....back to the street....quits working a minute later...I reach down and manually work the throttle to keep it running....servo starts working again.....minute later dead....manual pull...starts working

Is this symptoms of anything in particular?

The other odd thing this buggy does is...if you turn on the rcvr switch first....the servos are twitchy until the tx is turned on and the all is well.

BTW: This is with all the stock electronics JRXR3i, R135 and T/b is a JR 270.

Long winded I know...any intellegent help appreciated

Mr T

I've been reading about others that have had the same problem and it seems that when a servo is on its last legs that is what it does.

sounds like loose connections in the servo......the twitching might be from metal to metal contact somewhere creating signal noise.....

batteries are ok, maybe a dead spot in the electric motor, like when your starter isn't working right and you have to hit it witha hammer, but a short while after that they usually die, sounds like new servo time

I'm going to say shot servo, too, but one question; do you have a failsafe on this buggy?

the twitching is normal.. when you turn on the tx the trim takes over and holds them strait.. on the servo i would toss it now and cut your losses what you gonna do when it quits working wot?? even a fail safe wont save you there..

beason said:
on the servo i would toss it now and cut your losses what you gonna do when it quits working wot?? even a fail safe wont save you there..

Very valid point. It's one thing to have a steering servo wig out on you, but when the throttle servo pegs itself at WOT because of a failure inside the servo, your screwed. I've had it happen and it sucko very mucho.

Mr T-Maxx said:
The other odd thing this buggy does is...if you turn on the rcvr switch first....the servos are twitchy until the tx is turned on and the all is well.
Mr T
Thats the RX looking for, or reading weaker signals. When you turn the radio on, it will go away.
As for the servo.....Kaput!

Thanks for all the input fellas!

Now where is Crisco Red....I've got a servo to sell him...Like New :devious:

Mr T

Back