Novice dad needs help - tips on drift tires for 1/10 car w 12mm hex wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoviceRCdad

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for advice - my son wants drift tires for his 1/10 Holyton RC car (wheels connect w 12mm hex). I am rather new to all of this and would appreciate any guidance folks could offer on what he should be looking for (brands, specs, etc.). I see tires that range from $12 to $50 and don't know where to start. Thanks!

Appreciate the tip, WF. I wonder too whether it will actually drift, but he seems dead set on finding out.

Appreciate the tip, WF. I wonder too whether it will actually drift, but he seems dead set on finding out.
They are cheap enough, and if it has the power to spin em, it should drift. If not, wrap some electrical tape around the tires lol

Looking for advice - my son wants drift tires for his 1/10 Holyton RC car (wheels connect w 12mm hex). I am rather new to all of this and would appreciate any guidance folks could offer on what he should be looking for (brands, specs, etc.). I see tires that range from $12 to $50 and don't know where to start. Thanks!
It will drift (more like do 4 wheel drive donuts) with hard plastic tires, but not very well. There are two main issues with it, the first being the battery. Its a 2S, but it wont last long spinning the tires. The second is the weight of the vehicle. Those are kind of heavy, so even with hard plastic tires, the tires will spin, but it wont move much, and it wont move well enough to drift the way he is thinking of doing it. You would be better off with a cheap drift car, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/TEMI-Remote-...p_85:2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&sr=8-31
Unfortunately, there arent a lot of options for a drift car in that price range, unless you like to build things. Some of the Tamiya kits are under $150, but that is just for the car typically, the electronics (radio/receiver, motor, ESC (electronic speed control) and steering servo) are usually separate. I build drift and on road cars quite often, and, even buying the kits from china and waiting for them (sometimes a couple of months), my latest build, although it is a road car and not a drift car, but can easily be converted to a drift car by changing gears: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-budget-bmw-m3-touring-drift-rally-build.130202/#post-1305004 is still in the $200 price range.

Back