'Nother ?... Aluminum RS4 bits, require new ball studs?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MustangMan

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I had a friend give me a couple of aluminum goodies for my RS4 that he never installed...

Front and rear knuckles, steering set, etc.

Do you have to buy machine thread ball studs for the camber links? The factory ones that thread into the plastic stock parts seems to want to cross thread.

They are NIP but do not have any instructions and the Hot Bodies site sucks (that's the brand)...

Thanks for any help on this one too!

What do you mean cross thread? ball studs will screw in somewhat tight, keeps em from coming out and nice and tight.

BTW: Start them in straighter

ok i just looked at mine and the fronts are plastic and the rear hubs are aluminum
they are the same from and rear (screw wise)
maybe they will work with a little effort just be very very carefull or try a fine thread machine screw just to check it out first
mine has a stainless kit but the rears are stock
hope it helps a little

Thanks guys. I was just wondering if the threads cut into the aluminum weren't the cleanest. Usually items screwed into plastic are a tapping thread and into metal it is a machine thread.

I installed the aluminum steering set with no problems, just a little tight on the threading of the ball studs, but the rear knuckle is really tight and I didn't want to force it if I needed a "machine thread" ball stud instead.

I'm at work now, so I might bring my tap and die set home tonight and just chase everything...

Thanks...

I just did this yesterday I didnt have that size tap on hand so i had to go to the lhs and get them tapped out . 4-40 and 3mm wouldnt fit I tried 2-3 times gently screwing them in and it was a no go. Get them tapped it will save your part.

Like I said above, I've got a metric tap set here at work. It's already on the corner of my desk waiting to go home. Thanks guys...

Back