No place to drive HELP!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanw23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 1/5 scale Rovan Baja. I live in a residential area and whenever I try to run it, people get mad at me. So I have been looking for a place to drive but can’t find any good place. I tried a local school field but because of COVID-19 I got kicked out. Can someone please help me find a good open place where I can drive freely

thanks

do you know anyone with open land around you?.By me there are motocross tracks(i know the land owners)…theres also a deserted sand pit I used to 4 wheel on when younger ...We realize now that others dont like the noise are rc stuff makes. I used to like going out to my local public park a island and launch my rockets but since 91 that all changed..life goes on ..Your Q was the reason why I went almost 100% electric..(last is if you can Go buy some open land)

Last edited:
I recently purchased a 1/5 scale Rovan Baja. I live in a residential area and whenever I try to run it, people get mad at me. So I have been looking for a place to drive but can’t find any good place. I tried a local school field but because of COVID-19 I got kicked out. Can someone please help me find a good open place where I can drive freely

thanks

Is there any construction sites around?
Sometimes there will be open lots were their building houses or business buildings!...:cool:

I've got a 8 acre yard a 60 acre ranch the church across the street with two big parking lots and a Gravel Pit just down the road. Then I take my boats to the lake that is only three miles away.

Most areas have public ballfields and such that you should be able to use as long as they aren't booked for county/city rec events like little league, etc. As long as you're not tearing things up badly, 1/5 scale might be pushing it in that regard. 1/8, 1/10 you'd be ok. Sometimes you can find construction sites, but you run the risk of being kicked off or worse.

As others mentioned, you could purchase some open land that failed perc tests or whatever is required for building dwellings. Those are usually dirt(literally) cheap. Just find one that is fairly remote and make sure someone isn't going to put a residential development up right next to it down the road(or if they are try to sell it to the developer and make some coin ;) ). I've always got my eye open for open land I could use for that kind of thing. Just haven't found one that is "perfect" yet in terms of price and usability.

That must be a real bummer. I never had any issues running my cars but that can be due to the fact they are all electric.

Maybe a empty walmart parking lot that isnt packed or another shopping center could work.

Where to run?

I love large scale but i am also respectful, most times its not gas or size thats the issue but the nasty to many the sound of a weed engine makes on a pipe,
My baja ss makes a lot of racket where my rampage is less than lawn care people working,
I just like gas and nitro better than electric, but i still have electric.
Ill run my rampage over the baja just because of the noise, when covid allows my budget I'm gonna take the pipe off the baja and install the dual muffler, I'm not racing it, so its good.

When i R&Ded boats we attached mufflers after the tuned pipe and no more issues,

I havent been out since covid but any big field that is open and if not a case of trespassing i would run on, most construction sites would be tresspassing,

I do hope you use a good engine killer,

You see we all dont have the freedom to just do as we wish . There are Laws now that stop US ..So check with local laws b4 you buy.. Id love to take my quads out now but I know I can't due to my location to airport(about 2.5 miles away).Helped a group of guys build a outdoor rc track that got shut down 2 days after build was complete. I know in some cities by me I can not drive my road cars in any abandoned lots (ill lose my rc gear and get a 500$ fine)
its check check and do your research

Back