No Hockey - 04/05 Season

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImBroken

Still Lurking...
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I kinda figured this would be the end result... Bunch of whiners...

Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner)
"I have no choice but to cancel the 2004-05 season - this is a sad, regrettable day that all of us wish could have been avoided," said Bettman.

This is the first time a North American professional sports league has lost an entire season due to a labour dispute.

And the Stanley Cup - the top prize in NHL - will not be awarded for the first time since 1919, when a flu epidemic forced the finals to be called off.

it does suck ...

but i think it would of been the most moronic thing to have a short season ... they were talking about a 28 game season and full playoffs .... :argue:

would of been screwed up .,... best thing after this long is to cancel the season ... they screwed up hockey already .. why screw it more with a short season ...

The saddest part will be the next few months. Hockey is a great sport. I'm a huge fan. But I am seriously disappointed. Mostly in the players. It's obvious their motivation was to continue to demand tons of money from ownership. To get huge salaries and distort the playing field. And I'm also a NY Rangers fan. I believe they have the largest payroll in the league. So they would be most affected by a salary cap. But still, salaries are getting out of control. And something needs to be done. Sorry, but the players will have to concede or there will be more damage done. Yes, the overwhelming majority of pro hockey teams are in the US. But still, it's foothold is tenuous at best. No major TV contract. Sporadic fan support. Marginal visibility. Skyrocketing ticket prices keep most fans at home. If hockey wants to survive, it's going to have to get more financially stable and profitable. I fear we will lose a few teams because of this. And there's no doubt this will have a long lasting effect on people's perception of the sport. They will really have to get on the ball to save face at this point. Because out-of-sight-out-of-mind....

Atheletes in general are rather ridiculous....I think it's obscene what some of these guys make.....gimme a break millions of dollars to do what?????play a sport they loved to play anyway....I don't watch most team sports because of the greed involved.......I think most of them better shut up and realize they live in a fantasy world....what else would they do if not for their sports, work at Engineering firms, probably not......

The salaries are insane, the players keep crying for more, and the fans are forced to pay higher ticket prices.
Payton Manning's 5 year paycheck, plus his signing bonus was 103 million.
There's something VERY wrong with that.

I say they should have to work at foot lockers in the off season......make em do some real work for a change....

This may just ruin Hockey. It really brought a sour note on Baseball when the players went on strike several years ago. Hockey doesn't have near as big of a fan base that baseball does, so this may really push fans away. IME, most athletes are just a bunch of whiners, they quickly forget where they come from and that there are literally thousands of people in line that would take their place in a minute for less money, or just the opportunity to be there. I work for people that own a pro sports team, and from what I see of it, they are like baby sitters, and the allowance they give out is just insane. What I find most amusing, is most of the morons out there can't even figure out how to save and spend money and they have to hire someone to tell them how to do it otherwise they're broke in 2 years.

ImBroken said:
Gary Bettman (NHL Commissioner)
"I have no choice but to cancel the 2004-05 season - this is a sad, regrettable day that all of us wish could have been avoided," said Bettman.

This is the first time a North American professional sports league has lost an entire season due to a labour dispute...

In plain english this means, Hockey is dead now. Plain and simple, fans don't go for this poop. Anyone remember when the baseball players went on strike? Baseball took a huge blow to the head for that and baseball isn't nearly at popular as it once was. Even with the home run race just last year, no one really cared, yeah it was cool to see the record broken but whatever. Sad thing is the strike didn't last an entire season.

IMO Hockey isn't nearly as popular as baseball is today even after the strike, I can only imagine how "popular" it will be next year.

-Michael

As a Hockey Fan I can relate and with most of the comments and have even stated some to fellow hockey fans.

I was at home the other night wondering why there was nothing but crap on TV. Then I remembered that just about all the Avalanche games are televised. So, I'm usually watching hockey instead of the usual crap on TV.

I think a payroll cap would be good. They do it in Football and don't seem to have too many problems. A large payroll doesn't mean anything. Just look at the NY Rangers (no offense).

As far as player salaries, well thats our fault (society). We're the ones that make playing sports a lucrative field. We pay big dollars to watch them play, we idolize the players. But I'll admit, when it costs me 65 bucks for a nose-bleed seat (literally, there is no row behind me, just the wall) at the Pepsi Center, thats a bit ridiculous. Yet they sell out every game and have since they moved here in '95. Again, the one thing though is that just about every game is televised on a non-pay-per-view channel...

The one thing I'm glad hasn't happened to hockey players is that cocky attitude you see in other sports such as Basketball and Football. Seems to me that Basketball has become a game of individuals. Guys that don't have the basic skills, such as making free-throws.... Hockey is still a team sport.

Thank goodness there is still AHL. I was watching SportCenter this morning and it seems the general consensus is we won't see any hockey in the 05 - 06 season either!!

Yup, gotta be happy the AHL is still playing. My brother has 2 season seats for the Syracuse Crunch so I get to go to a few games each season. At least we're getting some kind of hockey fix. And for those who follow AHL, I'm guessing a lot of these guys will be in NHL uni's next season. Call them scabs if you want, but they'll play for the game, not the money.

ApriliaRacer said:
Then I remembered that just about all the Avalanche games are televised.

i wish i was in an area where the avs were televised all the time !!!

all i get here is the blackhawks and detroit :argue:

i took my step son to his first ever hockey game last weekend ... AHL milwaukee admirals *2004 culder cup champions* vs utah grizzles ... kinda unmatched ...

but the main thing was that he loved it !!!!

we had a great time and will go again a few times this year ...

ESPN is reporting that the two sides have come to an agreement and there will be a 04-05 season. They are figuring a 24-28 game season with full playoffs. XM radio/espn news told me this morning!

Back