No Frills Message Board?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pirata

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I want to setup a no frills message board on my home page and was wondering how to set one up. I'd like to not have people have to register in order to post messages and have everyone be able to read all messages. I know there are a ton of free message boards out there but since the last 2 I used closed I figure that having one on my server would be best overall since when I decide to colse my site, probably never, the message board could be used regardless of whether another site closes. Anyone?

Bravenet does one for free. But I think they limit it to 1000 posts. Give em a try, they've been around for a while.

msly said:
I personally like using http://www.phpbb.com/ its very full featured and is free. You can set it up with all the features you mentioned.

sLY
Ok, great, I have it. Now what do I do? Please bear in mind I am a mook and get lost easily in computer giberish...

Apprearantly I don't have Picture It on my computer either.

phpBB or Invision Power Board - both excellent FREE message boards, I might recommend IPB over phpBB.

-Michael

When you click on "Download and Pricing" and see the column labeled Download IPB, goto the bottom of that hello box and right below "Purchase for Download Now" in small text is a link called "[ Free Trial Version Information ]" that link will take you to the page to download IPB for free.

IPB used to always be free, now they are pushing a paid service with more support things of that nature. However the paid version and Free trial are the exact same message board, no changes what so ever.

A few things I like about IPB over phpBB is the admin panel - I spend a lot more time in the admin panel on a forum then I do in the forum itself. Also IPB has a VERY extensive hacks/ mods forum, not nearly like vBulletin but a very nice selection for a free message board. The standard layout of IPB I feel is much better then phpBB. phpBB is old and hasn't changed a whole lot, they promise to have a new version out soon but that's been sometime ago. IPB is also working on a new version that looks pretty promising and their forums are running the beta versions of it now.

Either way both of these message boards will be perfect for a small to medium message board and you can't beat the price. If you're forum is a medium to large message board I'd HIGHLY recommend dropping the cash to purchase a license of vBulletin - the development and support teams are top notch, the software rocks ( just look at RCNT :D ), and the amount of hacks/mods are endless with vBulletin and if a mod isn't released yet you can VERY easily find a programmer that can make it for you.

-Michael

Thanks for the detailed reply Michael. I know you have been ultra busy. If I don't talk to ya have a great 4th or your like me and on the computer and its it really beautiful outside.

sLY

Back