No compression when cold

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdriveSlideways

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
So I've noticed lately when I take my buggy out for the first start up of the day, it's got little to no compression. Once I get it primed and fuel is introduced into the crank case and combustion chamber it gets compression. Once it starts and everything heats up and expands it runs perfectly. Should I be worried about it not having a lot of compression when it's cold? Or does it not have compression because it's cold?

Heat causes things to expand, thus the reason why you have more compression when cold. If you have little to no compression, then there is an issue. Does the engine still have pinch? Is the glow plug seal working (look for bubbles around the seal)? Did you break the engine in when you brought it? What percentage of fuel are you running? How many gallons have you run through it?

assuning it's an abc engine you are fine. If it's running well once you start it up than that's that. :). Most of my pull-start engines I give a blast with the heat gun prior to starting. What matters is how it runs once you get it up to temps. So IMHO it's much to do about nothing. Just keep putting it down and have fun.

assuning it's an abc engine you are fine. If it's running well once you start it up than that's that. :). Most of my pull-start engines I give a blast with the heat gun prior to starting. What matters is how it runs once you get it up to temps. So IMHO it's much to do about nothing. Just keep putting it down and have fun.

I see you...
even from up here...

Spiderman-d%C3%A9guisement-enfant.jpg

Last edited:
With great memes comes great responsibility :banana: