Nitro slash revving up too much

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebkauff

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
A friend of mine recently got a Nitro Slash and he can't get it to idle correctly. It hasn't been broken in yet because as soon as it starts the engine revs up not super fast but fast enough to get the wheels spinning fast. The idle gap is at factory settings at about 1mm. And he's using Traxxas 20% nitro 20% oil. I have absolutely no idea why the car is revving up too much, but I don't have very much nitro experience. So any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

Make sure the receiver isn't opening the throttle for starters. After that, if it persists, check the LSN setting, it could be very lean. If that's looking correct (I believe TRX engines it's flush with housing for break in), then there's possibly an air leak somewhere.

I started it with the air filter off to make sure the throttle wasn't opening. Which it wasn't. I didn't check the LSN it but it wasn't obviously messed up. I'm thinking there could be an air leak. How common is it for them to have air leaks out of the box?

I started it with the air filter off to make sure the throttle wasn't opening. Which it wasn't. I didn't check the LSN it but it wasn't obviously messed up. I'm thinking there could be an air leak. How common is it for them to have air leaks out of the box?

Just decrease the idle with the idle screw. 1mm idle gap is just too big. Try that and report back.
And make sure LSN is at factory setting (read manual).

Cheers

Last edited:
My friend said he messed with the idle gap and got a tank through it on idle. But now he says when he gives it a bit of throttle it wont move, as if the clutch isn't engaging

My friend said he messed with the idle gap and got a tank through it on idle. But now he says when he gives it a bit of throttle it wont move, as if the clutch isn't engaging

Hi

Bit of throttle wont move the car as its running too rich and loaded with fuel.
If the wheels were spinning as you said before, when the idle was high, it means clutch is good.
Rev the engine a few times slowly to clear the fuel from the engine, then it should move.
Alternatively, if its too rich, you can lean the HSN a bit, in order to get the car going.

Maybe post a video of the problem...

Cheers and good luck! Its a great truck, I have one, once you get it broken in, its a beauty. TRX 3.3 really carries that car well, since its light, but not too light like the Rustler.

Back