Nitro Slash 2 speed transmission

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbishop98

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I was looking around for upgrade ideas and came across a old post on rctech where a guy installed a 2 speed transmission on his nitro slash. There were a few pictures but they weren't very detailed and really couldn't tell what he used. It was also 5 years ago and he hasn't responded to any of the previous questions about it. Has anyone here tried this to theirs? It's already plenty fast enough but it can always be faster. ..

Post it up. 10 years ago there was a mod on the nutro rustler and it was an externsl 2 speed. I waa searching just a day or two ago for it.

If you want speed, id go for the jato tranny. It should fit eith some hacking and drilling.

I've detailed some of what's needed for the Jato trans install here - https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/invader-nitro-slash-drag-car.126814/page-8

It's not that difficult, but some drilling required, and making a pair of mounting plates.

The Jato transmission is as far as I know the only viable route outside of possibly some spur/pinion mounted system. It's not been done all that many times though from what I can tell. Seems the more popular route was to extend the Jato chassis (there are extended chassis plates available I think), if you were making a drag car.

Jato based (or cars using the trans) are among the very fastest drag cars around, and that includes brushless. Big block Jatos are a major *thing* in drag racing, and they run well under 2 seconds, as fast or faster than the fastest brushless guys in the country currently. PowerSecrets Nitro Mods even got a Jato using a TRX 3.3 that they modded to run 1.9 seconds! Big block Jatos are much faster, and literally uncontrollable in amateur hands.

A number of guys who are running nitro Slash drag cars are making the Jato transmission switch, and I know of one guy who is designing a Jato ready Slash chassis plate and sending to Extreme Racing to possibly have them manufacture them. I myself might do that as well, as I have a CNC router and am currently working on a custom upper plate that is tailored to drag racing and making room for a big block.

Sounds like a pretty straight forward conversion.

Capture.PNG

Heres a guy that did the same thing to his nitro Rustler and made a couple videos on it. I havent watched them but it should be pretty much the same for the slash I would think.

Video Part 1
Video Part 2

*EDIT*
Or just follow Johnny's walkthrough. :)

I've detailed some of what's needed for the Jato trans install here - https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/invader-nitro-slash-drag-car.126814/page-8

It's not that difficult, but some drilling required, and making a pair of mounting plates.

The Jato transmission is as far as I know the only viable route outside of possibly some spur/pinion mounted system. It's not been done all that many times though from what I can tell. Seems the more popular route was to extend the Jato chassis (there are extended chassis plates available I think), if you were making a drag car.

Jato based (or cars using the trans) are among the very fastest drag cars around, and that includes brushless. Big block Jatos are a major *thing* in drag racing, and they run well under 2 seconds, as fast or faster than the fastest brushless guys in the country currently. PowerSecrets Nitro Mods even got a Jato using a TRX 3.3 that they modded to run 1.9 seconds! Big block Jatos are much faster, and literally uncontrollable in amateur hands.

A number of guys who are running nitro Slash drag cars are making the Jato transmission switch, and I know of one guy who is designing a Jato ready Slash chassis plate and sending to Extreme Racing to possibly have them manufacture them. I myself might do that as well, as I have a CNC router and am currently working on a custom upper plate that is tailored to drag racing and making room for a big block.
I'm building my nitro slash bow. I may have to do this.

The way with hpi ae and ofna parts will be hard to come by, this has plebty of parts.

Did you ever finish this project?
How did it turn out?