Nitro rookie need advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Gunderson

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
HI everyone
I was hardcore into RC racing (electric) when I was in my teens.
I'm 28 now and want to start racing again (nitro monster trucks). I've been doing alot of research and I'm torn between two new trucks, the Revo and the LST. I like the innovative features of the Revo and the fact it will be about 100 bucks cheeper and probibly easier to get up and running for a nitro rookie like myself but I dont know about the radio and the engine. The LST looks strong, has a good engine and a awsome radio but I think it will require more money to get up and running. The Revo looks like it would be a little better on the track where as the LST looks like it would be able to take alot more backyard punishment. Your comments would be welcome. Thank You

Well you are touching on 2 of the newest in the market. Unfortunately, that is the very problem. They are too new yet.

Both companie are great in their own respects. Traxxas definitely is geared for the new comer to the nitro market, as well as a BIG player in the monster truck scene. So that being said, Id be pretty certain you would find the Revo both enjoyable and easy to manage.

Losi is one of the best manufacturers out there in R.C.. Right along side of Kyosho, Associated and Mugen. (yes there are others but I'm drawing a comparrison for you). I really like Losi parts, assembly, fit and quality. You essentially get what you pay for with Losi and then some. However, you are right about it costing more to get up and running. But when done, you will have both one badass ride and an engineering masterpiece.

Either which way I dont think you can go wrong. You will enjoy either one.

Chances are though, being new to the Nitro scene, you will probably find the Traxxas to be more user friendly (mainly because of their documentation).

Keep one thing in mind, they are both new and have not had a lot of customer playtime, so the inherent flaws associated with new rides will be there. You just know SOMETHING will either be recalled or replaced with a version better a few months after they hit the street in quantity.

Welcome to the Nitro scene! Enjoy the ride!

There is another thing to consider. If your of the power hungry sort (aren't we all), the evo is only a .15, whereas the LST is a .21. The .21 means you can jam a much larger engine in it and from what I've read, the drive train can handle it.

As for the evo, when a conversion kit comes out, it will be just like the maxx, everything is to weak for 21 power so you have to upgrade the whole truck, not just the engine.

Just keep that in mind is all I'm saying. I bought my maxx because it looked simpler than the savage and my LHS was selling it for $80 less... man I wish I would have bought a savage. Just for the ability to put more power in.

If your interested in racing, the evo looks like a good truck. I really like the suspension design. But if your going to end up "playing" more than "racing", I'd suggest something that can accept and handle a 21 from the start.

get the losi your bound to hit something
on the revo lok at the way the shock is mounted and i could rip that out on a slightly crooked landing like starting my car

You know, I was just having that debate on the Revo or LST. To tell you the truth, I am caught in the middle also. I mean the Revo has an awesome suspension setup, and it has the newest and most innovative things...that is what I like about that. What I dont like is the suspension arms look weak, it looks way to crowded, and it comes with a .15 engine once again.
Now the LST on the otherhand, ths shocks on that thing are massive! You can tell just by that that its gonna be a backyard basher for sure. I mean its fricken 14lbs, its got a what....26 sized engine, heavy duty this, heavy duty that, it looks awesome. Its a truck that comes with almost every necessary upgrade you should buy to make it bash-proof. On the other hand, it is 100 more and its not as beginner friendly. It wont be quite as zippy as the smaller Revo, but it will be a true rock crawler. I guess its totally up to peoples opinions until RC Car Action reviews the Revo next month, and hopefully the LST at the same time or the month after. I think this is gonna strike everyone by suprise, all these new features, and some company is going to get the best of both worlds with the ultimate truck someday.
L8r

Dude if U want a great monster truck that has every part in aluminum alot of hop ups a awsome engine that handles great and can take launching off of 20 FOOT CLIFFS un scathed go with the OFNA pirate AKA TMAXX defeater.

IF U NEED 2 ASK ANY ???? PLEASE E-Mail ME K

OpM, the ofna monster pirate is old school news. We're looking at the newest, biggest, baddest trucks that havent even came out yet. Either one of these new trucks would stomp the monster pirate, dude.
Anyway, www.teamlosi.com and www.traxxas.com both have videos of their newest trucks (Revo, LST). Be sure to check them out...
L8r

Back