Nitro RC throttle and idling problems! Help appreciated!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhdg

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, i am a noob to nitro rc cars and have recently purchased an ftx hooligan 3.0cc nitro car to have a bit of fun with and get more into the hobby. However today i was breaking in, at first the engine wouldn't start, i changed the glow plug and it worked, the engine would run and then stall, i noticed there were air bubbles in the fuel line, i took these out and i worked fine. However i was breaking in and all of a sudden the car went full throttle, i quickly plugged the exhausts, as well as this the throttle servo broke [picture below]. (I also tried turning the idle needle all the way down, didn't work, it is a whole lot faster and worse when i lift the car off of the ground) Please help if you have any idea on how to fix these two issues, i will be calling the company from which i bought the car tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_5928[1].JPG
    IMG_5928[1].JPG
    976.8 KB · Views: 250
Looks like the slide for you carb pulled out.

it took me a couple of minutes at first I was like that is messed up linkage on the engine. :D

When you back the idle screw out too far, it allows the slide to come out. Take off the air filter, put the slide back in with the notch in the side lining up with the idle set screw, then turn in the screw until it starts moving the slide. With pressure on the slide, adjust the screw until you have 1mm of gap when you look down the carb throat. Turn the radio back on and make sure that the idle stays as it was when your not pulling the trigger. If turning the radio on causes the idle to open, then you need to adjust your linkage so it doesn't. Put the air filter back on and give it a try.

At first I thought "showing us a picture of a servo doesn't tell us it's broken". I then went on to notice that the slide had got a bit over zealous with it's slidage...
Like everyone else said, you've gone a bit to far with the idle adjustment :p Do what Olds97 said, and that will fix your problem. I'd recommend reading through the manual thoroughly before tuning, you might end up with the engine falling off trying to adjust the high end needle or something :)

+1 to what @griff7373 said, your carb is now always full throttle.
I think it's gone a bit past full throttle...

Not at all. It's simply tuned for maximum performance, ALL the time. Well done!
Clockwork racing engines have a competitor it seems. Honda also needs to hire this guy for developing vtec- think about it, go past 5000 rpms and all 4 conrods fly out the block for optimum weight reduction- it'll be performance tuning to the max...

Last edited:
Just pull the air filter off and crank it up, its not allowing enough air into the engine...

J/K by the way! The solution to your problem has been identified above in Olds post :p

When you back the idle screw out too far, it allows the slide to come out. Take off the air filter, put the slide back in with the notch in the side lining up with the idle set screw, then turn in the screw until it starts moving the slide. With pressure on the slide, adjust the screw until you have 1mm of gap when you look down the carb throat. Turn the radio back on and make sure that the idle stays as it was when your not pulling the trigger. If turning the radio on causes the idle to open, then you need to adjust your linkage so it doesn't. Put the air filter back on and give it a try.
Thanks everyone, my idle screw was snapped, put a new one in works fine :)

engine won't start.

Back