Nitro RC Engine's - PRO-15 to PRO-18

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickster922

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
HI, I'm new to this forum and i'm also kinda new to the nitro rc hobby.

I've owned my Thunder Tiger Phoenix GT for about 5-6 month's now and I've decided to fit myself a new engine. I want to change from a PRO-15 to a PRO18 but because I'm new to this, I have a few questions

When buying a new nitro engine, does the crank shaft already come with the cogs and gears which drives the transmission? If not then when taking the cogs or gears off the old engine, how do I remove or screw off the main silver cog that i can see from underneath the car? I have tried to do it but while trying to take it off, the whole crank shaft is moving with it and it becomes impossible. Is there a certain 'tool' to remove this cog so that I can fit it to the new engine which I will put on my car?

Someone please get back to me,

Rick

No, the flywheel, clutch and clutchbell do not come with it.
Use a big pair of channel locks, vice grips or pliers to hold the flywheel. Then loosen/remove the nut holding the flywheel on the crankshaft.
Tricky part... The flywheel is wedged on the crankshaft. Tap on each side of the flywheel until it pops off the crankshaft.
This would be a good time to replace clutch shoes, springs and bearings as well.

Ok thanks for the information, I've decided to buy a new car instead of buying a new engine as the higher the number, the size of the engine gets bigger which means it probably wont fit in my car.

I'm going to give the Thunder Tiger ST-1 a try and see how that works as a next step up to more powerful nitro RC'S

.12 to.18 engines all use the same size engine blocks.
A whole new rig sounds like the way to go to me.!:thumbup:

Back