Nitro or Electric for just starting out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gus6464

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi everyone,

My buddy and I want to get a 1/8 buggy for bashing and messing around at the local track during practice days. We don't really care to race other than each other. We have been to a couple LHS but their selection has been pretty small compared to online.

The big debate we are having now is to go with nitro or electric. At first we wanted to go nitro for the engine sound and not having to charge batteries but of course that comes at the price of requiring more maintenance on the nitros. Also the nitro version of the buggies we are looking at are $100 cheaper than the electric version.

The buggies we are looking at are the Kyosho DBX 2.0 in nitro and VE version as well as the Hobao Hyper 7TQ and SS. There is also the Kyosho Inferno Neo readyset.

Should we just get the DBX 2.0 VE and call it a day?

I'm not going to jump in the nitro vs. electric debate but your model choice should depend on what your local hobby shops carry so if you do happen to break a part, then your rig has a better chance of being up and running than having to order the part online. For buggies you should also look at Team Associated, Team Losi, HPI and Ofna. The above mentioned manufacturers offer both electric and nitro versions.

I'm not going to jump in the nitro vs. electric debate but your model choice should depend on what your local hobby shops carry so if you do happen to break a part, then your rig has a better chance of being up and running than having to order the part online. For buggies you should also look at Team Associated, Team Losi, HPI and Ofna. The above mentioned manufacturers offer both electric and nitro versions.

The two stores near me carry mostly Losi, HPI, and Traxxas.

Just to touch on a few points on the nitro vs. electric topic:

Nitro will cost less to get into initially. It will cost more to run and require a lot of maintenance.

Electric requires a larger initial investment but costs less to run and requires less maintenance in the long run.

Pick your poison....

Back