Nitro killing my grass?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truggy83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Does nitro kill grass. I have noticed that lately my grass has been dying where I run my r/cs at. For some reason the grass is dying from where I start the r/c cars heading all the way up to the home made jump I have set up and there is a dead patch around where the models land from the jump. All the rest of the grass even where I turn the cars around to come back to hit the jump looks ok. Does nitro kill the grass or is it something else. The grass in question is under the shade of some trees.

Nitro kills grass and if spilled on blacktop it will disolve that too. Very potent stuff,:p:

Last edited:
I would imagine it would kill grass quite easily...especially if you are running very rich and blowing raw fuel out of the exhaust.

Most of your dead spots of grass are the tires burning the grass to nothing.

Does nitro kill grass. I have noticed that lately my grass has been dying where I run my r/cs at. For some reason the grass is dying from where I start the r/c cars heading all the way up to the home made jump I have set up and there is a dead patch around where the models land from the jump. All the rest of the grass even where I turn the cars around to come back to hit the jump looks ok. Does nitro kill the grass or is it something else. The grass in question is under the shade of some trees.

Yes, as stated... .nitro will kill grass, and fast. I would be willing to bet based on what you have told us this is the most likely culprit.

Tom

Ok, I'ts just weird how it started happening and I have been running in my yard for awhile

whats that supposed to mean?

I am just amazed that one would have to ask if Nitro fuel for an R/C vehicle would kill the grass growing in your yard or not. :hehe:

This one is for you sir :first_place:
I'll take this one :second_place:

lol you got that right.
Better then round up for sure.

Yes it does a damn fine job of killing weeds and grass. I used to us old fuel to kill weeds/grass growing up in the sidewalk and in my driveway. It is mostly the oil content that kills the grass than the nitro since the nitro and methanol both evaporate rather quickly. So if you are breaking in an engine in your yard I would run a varied path or you will have a big dead figure 8 of grass like I have had a few times.

yea and I run my engines a little on the rich side too. I don't have enough flat areas to get up a lot of speed so it doesn't bother me running them a little rich. I guess I am going to have to take my cars to the park more often or run them less :(. I just changed my exhaust diverters around too, I wonder if that helps with spraying the fuel on the grass. I had them so they were pointing up at an angle from the ground. This helped so I could better see the smoke and so that when I was done running them the oil would not run out the pipes. I changed them around so the diverters are angled down towards the grass. Now the nitro drips out the pipe after they are done running and I would imagine it is blasting the grass with a steady stream of fuel instead of the fuel droplets spreading out more when the diverter is pointing upwards.

Back