nitro engine maintenance

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrcguy

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
can you guys go over a basic on how to store your nitro engine for the winter so it doesn't rust?
i need to store my engine and it wont be used for around 6-7 months. tips on how to store it?

If it was me, drain every drip out of the tank. After that run the engine until it wont start anymore. My method of aro is 3 in one. Some may agree, some may not. With thst said, I drop a few in the carb after removing the air filter. I the add a few more through the glow plug hole while turning the motor to get it all lubed up. I then install a clean and oiled filter, even though it wont be clean in 6 or 7 months. I also close the carb via servo to limit moisture and dirt.

I would do what @Chubaka said for the engine.

I would also remove and clean the tank and fuel lines and install them back. Added measure I would also strip down as much off the chassis, clean it and put it back together, then put the car in a box or cover it with a rag to not collect dust and add some of those salt bags you get with some electronics to draw out moisture in the air. Oh and of course I would check on the car every now and again.

If I were to take a car out after 6-7 months, I don't want to be greeted by a dirty car. :)

ok ill do that.
thanks

I would do what @Chubaka said for the engine.

I would also remove and clean the tank and fuel lines and install them back. Added measure I would also strip down as much off the chassis, clean it and put it back together, then put the car in a box or cover it with a rag to not collect dust and add some of those salt bags you get with some electronics to draw out moisture in the air. Oh and of course I would check on the car every now and again.

If I were to take a car out after 6-7 months, I don't want to be greeted by a dirty car. :)
What about one you sunk buried a decade ago in the woods in a small man made pond. It finally dried up,

hehehe. I think it will be a pic of epic proportions! :)
I had already blew it off with air compressor, and brushed some, so I could bring it in to take pic, with less mess

Attachments

• demon2.jpg
    demon2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 33
I usually drain the tanks, let the car run dry, put in some after run oil.

Some engines I disassemble and clean and leave them apart until ready for the season.

If you do not want to purchase something made in China and support the Chinese communist party then go to www.promodeler.com These are some of the best servers for the money I’ve ever used and they are made in the good old USA in Florida.

Make sure to store the batteries appropriately and remove alkaline cells so they don't leak.
I have way more trouble keeping batteries useful than I do nitro engines.

Back