Nitro dieing off...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm noticing more and more that the Nitro scene seems to be dwindling.

Most recently, someone was asking about a .15 engine replacement. I remember 10+ years ago, you couldn't go to a typical high volume parts website and not find 4 or 5 different variations from multiple companies for a decent .15 or .12. Now it's like trying to find a unicorn.

I know brushless are great for what they are and allows people that are new to jump in and have ridiculous power on tap without knowing much more than "plug jack A into B, pull trigger". Gassers are cool too, but unless you go big, it seems your likely to fight with the converted nitro engines that HPI and Dynamite offer. Also, the smell of gas makes it tough for those of us without a garage to store things in. That was the primary reason I didn't drive my 5B much when I had it. It would stink up my entire house for a week every time I ran the stupid thing.

Just hoping nitro makes a bit of a comeback at some point. Sadly, if it does die, so will my interest in RC. I'll relegate myself to getting a mini-crawler and a quad-copter to dink around in the house to remind myself of the good times. lol

Brushless are more than just that. Size for size, a nitro mill can't come close to the performance of a good brushless setup. I know there are those of you that love nitro, like yourself, and I respect that and hope it stays around for a long, long time.

As far as the smell of gas concerning gassers goes, I stored my Baja 5B in my apartment always and never had one issue with smell whatsoever. Run the tank bone dry before transport or storage and your good to go. I mean, if you get down with your nose right on top of the air filter, there might be hint of gas smell, but I had mine in a small spare bedroom and I nor anyone that stayed in that room ever noticed or commented on it. I did however store the fuel outside on the front porch.

I ran mine dry and also hit it with a hose and dried it off before bringing it in. Still smelled up the house quite a bit for 2-3 days. Guess my nose is just overly sensitive. I also gag (literally) if I walk into the kitchen after my wife has put jewelry into ammonia for cleaning.

I know pound for pound that brushless can crush nitro for performance. Electric always has been out-powering nitro. With lipo and brushless now, it's so easy that it just seems the nitro guys gave up.

EDIT
I meant that to be more that the rc companies gave up.

Last edited:
Well I don't know where you are from but I can tell you there are a couple where I live that still love rc nitro. They even have a club and logos for there trucks aND cars. Nitro love

Ya know... I've noticed the same. Even for my Savage I have to order parts because our LHS doesn't carry much. But after the mess with my converted truggy, I'm acquiring most of a used 3.3 Revo, and simply for the sound and smell, I'm considering putting it back on nitro. It would be cool to have a ridiculously over powered Revo, but I'm really considering selling my Mamba Monster system. My mini revo is overpowered with the stock system and parts are much cheaper for that if u want to do standing back flips.

Nitro can't come close to the performance of a good electric? That's a funny joke!

Nitro can't come close to the performance of a good electric? That's a funny joke!
Really? You think it can? Shear on demand torque of electric puts nitro to shame. With the RPM's, torque and tunability of a good brushless, I don't see really how "performance" is even a comparison anymore.

Regardless, I still like nitro. I like having to know a bit more of what your doing and the fact that it makes some noise and being able to run all day, tank after tank without stopping to swap batteries or charge them or maintain them...

Not only do I think so, Olds. I prove it on the track every weekend. Electrics aren't better just because it's electric. Use that philosophy on the racetrack and you'll get humbled real quick. I'm not saying their cars aren't bigger, better, faster but very few can beat my Nitros.

I'm not saying their cars aren't bigger, better, faster

That is my only point. It's far easier right now to get a hulking electric rig that will snap axles and do 20 backflips at the park than it is to get a nitro that will hold a candle to it. As with anything, the driver makes it "fast".

I actually prefer wrenching to runnimg. My biggest complaint about nitro is the noise. Even with the stock pipe on the 3.3 in my Revo it was far louder than the gasser in my Baja. I live in a small apartment complex that gets upset when things get too loud, even during the day or weekends. That pretty much ended my nitro play time.

I have an old Trinity pipe with a Picco .26 Maxx that will rattle windows at 100 ft.

With lipo and brushless now, it's so easy that it just seems the nitro guys gave up. I meant that to be more that the rc companies gave up.
I think you're right on both accounts
Although I don't think Nitro will completely flat line, I do see it slowly dying in a sense.
I see it at my local hobby shops. The selection of fuels and engines available are nowhere near what they used to be quality and selection wise.
Seems as though the good quality fuels and engine brands are going by the wayside and being replaced with no name junk brands.
At least that's what I see in my neck of the woods.
And more and more I see new nitro rc enthusiasts post they're throwing in the towel with frustration because they
can't get the cheaply made POS engine in their brand new car to tune right. Sad.
So then they end up returning the car, selling it for a loss, putting it on a shelf, and buying a simpler plug 'n' play electric model instead.

Last edited:
The 5 second attention span of kids/young adults these days isn't helping things either. If it can't be figured out and mastered in 10 minutes... GIVE UP!

Yay.

Back