Newbie with Monster GT transmission issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ok, how exactly do I do that? I'm a newbie and not too sure what you mean by that :/

When assembling the diffs the factory has a set setup they use (typically 1 shim for every gear). I've rebuilt a couple as they start to get expensive and have found that additional .020" shims tighten up everything nicely. Be careful not to overshim as you will have the gearmesh to far apart asn experience the same issue you have now of the teeth not meshing together. If you buy a new diff I would "rebuild" the broken and get a "feel" for a properly set gearmesh in your diff

I took my truck out to a park yesterday and the front was pulling more than the rear. But then the rear stopped altogether as a grub screw fell out the drive shaft. Could this being loose cause my previous problems?

I suppose its possible. Do you have a groove worn where the grub screw makes contact? Also look at your wheel nuts. If they come loose it will strip the hex in the wheel giving the impression that your diff is junk. You may wanna take the tires off the rear and start with that first.

I will check when i get home as I'm still at school, i also recorded a miniute of yesterday if you want. i doubt it would be the wheel slipping oin the tires because the rim isnt spinng but i will check the hex.

On the inside ofthe rim is where the hex is that drives the wheel. That is the area that I'm talking about. If the hex has stripped the wheel wont move during acceleration. Video always helps trying to figure out something

I'll post the video when I find the time, I checked the hex's are fine but I never had the time to take the diff out again to check for any marks. When I took the truck out I discovered another problem where it was jumping into reverse stalling the engine, the tranny jammed so I had to keep playing with the reverse button on the transmitter. Any clews on that? By the way thanks for trying to help me

The helping thing - Dont worry about it!!! I'm not a know it all by any means but if I can help a fellow RC'r get runnin than by all means I will.

The reverse thing - I would look into the FOC kit that eliminates the reverse all together. The truck will become more responsive without all the added weight from the transmission and the servo removed. That said I took mine out when I first got it so I never drove it with reverse. Sorry.

I don't like the idea of loosing reverse, I one of my favourite features as it helps me out when I screw up and end up face to face with something (e.g. A tree). Could of been my battery being a bit flat in the truck making the servo trigger?

Last edited:
do you still have your mgt?

---------- Post added at 8:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:50 PM ----------

do you still have your mgt?

I had a problem when I first got my MGT. It would not shift into second gear for the life of me. After 2 tranny pulls and adjusting the shift point to no avail, I tightenend down the slipper to spec and voila- second gear. Then I got the engine tuned right and it's like night and day.

if you do end up taking the trans apart, take lots of pics and while your in there I would remove reverse . they make a kit for this it comes with all the spacers and stuff there is also a one way bearing in the trans that could be giving you problems . I just got done replacing first & second gear what a beast I bet I could do in half the time next time

Thanks. I just won one on ebay and haven't received it yet but I have noticed from the pictures and the lil bit of info that's out their on this trucks tranny that's it's different. So I want to be able to get it going as soon as I get it. Is their a place that I can buy a whole new tranny for the 3.0 or just have to rebuild it. Can't find a Lorenzo on this

Thanks. I just won one on ebay and haven't received it yet but I have noticed from the pictures and the lil bit of info that's out their on this trucks tranny that's it's different. So I want to be able to get it going as soon as I get it. Is their a place that I can buy a whole new tranny for the 3.0 or just have to rebuild it. Can't find a Lorenzo on this

I'm not sure where to get the MMgt trans. parts ,I get my stuff through ebay!
I've haven't had to buy parts for mine ,however ,the factory had forgot to put the screws in the 2 spd hub in which
it wasn't shifting into second gear.
Heres mine ,an I have detailed if you need to see more!...:cool:

upload_2016-12-29_7-46-54.png

I'm not sure where to get the MMgt trans. parts ,I get my stuff through ebay!
I've haven't had to buy parts for mine ,however ,the factory had forgot to put the screws in the 2 spd hub in which
it wasn't shifting into second gear.
Heres mine ,an I have detailed if you need to see more!...:cool:

View attachment 18837
Thanks man. I hope it's as good as yours looks. I'm sure when it gets here I'll have plenty of questions. I've ordered all aluminum upgrades for it already. I have a .21 engine I'm putting in it. You think it's too big

Thanks man. I hope it's as good as yours looks. I'm sure when it gets here I'll have plenty of questions. I've ordered all aluminum upgrades for it already. I have a .21 engine I'm putting in it. You think it's too big

Lol....I'm not sure ,but I can pull mine out an check ,I have plenty of big blocks laying around to
check!...:D

I think that it will with a slight mod of relocating some engine mount holes sense the engine
sits side ways in chassy ,but may have to use a rear exaust port for header & pipe.

upload_2016-12-29_8-10-26.png

Last edited: