Newbie to air

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlehorse

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Pickin up a Firebird Stratos this week.
Been wanting a plane for a while and after many talks with different lhs and people who fly I am goin with the stratos.
Can't wait to start tearing it up. Lol

Any helpful tips?

A good charger and an extra battery pack are a good idea. Also try to find a large area to fly without trees and avoid flying with more than a gentle breeze (5-6mph.)

I live on 1200 acres so vig field no problem.
Extra battery and better charger added to list. Thanks

Lol. Yeah I see many crashes in my future.

Get me some duct tape with designs on it ad have stylish plane.

---------- Post added at 10:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

My horses will love this one.
Have 1 that chased the revo and tries to stomp it.

I go with the flames, that way I can see whatit looks like on fire before I crash and it has real flames. Lol

Well the intended landings will be
Can't speak for the unintentional ones.

Also remember that there are 2 types of aircraft:

Those that have crashed and those that will.

So just like a motorcyle lol.

Foam safe ca glue.....very important!!!

Was wanderin about the clue thanks

---------- Post added at 8:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:31 AM ----------

When I get ready to move up how hard is to go frim the 3 channel to a normal air radio with multiple channels ?

Not hard just pricey depending on what radio you choose. Most all the guys around my lhs airfield fly with spectrum DX7 or DX8. Also besides foam safe CA glue you can also use Gorilla Glue but make sure to tape over while curing due to it expands when it drys.

---------- Post added at 9:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:12 AM ----------

It also would not be a bad investment to buy a good simulator program to practice practice practice.

It also would not be a bad investment to buy a good simulator program to practice practice practice.

The best thing I ever did was buy a Sim! Keep in mind that just because you can fly something on a sim that doesn't mean you can fly the real deal. What it did for me is take the thinking out of flying...When your bird is in the air hesitating is bad!

Well the guy at lhs talkes me into the hobbtzone champ.
first flight wheel falls off on takeoff so it digs in pavement nosedives bends motor shaft. Fix that and had a crash landing in tall grass nosedive and body snaps 8lf.
Also straight from box it constantly goes left even with trim set.
very unhappy. All lhs and manager tells me common with those I should have got one I wanted.
wll his guy talked me out of it.

The wheel falling off shouldn't have happen, thats a QC problem for sure! Everything else is part of flying....The only guarantee in flying is that you will crash! Foam safe CA glue will fix any part of that plane and the trim has to be adjusted pre flight. With the radio on and the battery plugged all trim should be adjusted with the control push rods, the radio trim is for very minor adjustments. A flight sim is a great idea!

I did adjust trim with rods and radio. Rudder is straight and no matter whati do it pulls.
I knew I would crash and break, but the wheel part is what gets me.
their answer was to bend the axle up.

Last edited:
There's a certain amount of "torque effect" that requires a nitro plane's engine to be mounted 3 degrees right and 3 degrees down, otherwise it will pull to one side.
I'm not sure if that same rule would apply to something as small as yours.
What you'll need to do is offset the rudder as much as is needed in order to achieve straight flight at half throttle. Same goes for level flight by trimming or adjusting the elevator. Once they are both set you should be able to compensate in either direction with the trim. Keep the trims centered till it maintains straight and level flight with mechanical adjustments.

There's a certain amount of "torque effect" that requires a nitro plane's engine to be mounted 3 degrees right and 3 degrees down, otherwise it will pull to one side.
I'm not sure if that same rule would apply to something as small as yours.

I'm not sure about degree of offset but the rule is the same, the motor in all of mine are mounted at a slight angle.