Newbie shock help. I give up.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manderthal

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Short story:
My son bought me the FMS FCX24 K5 Blazer for Father's Day. Fun base for tinkering right? The problem is that nothing comes with instructions.
My bride bought me the Injora 45mm shocks (gold, stock shocks black). I added oil and thought they'd just bolt on easy peasy.
NOPE
The holes in the shocks are larger than the stock balls on the chassis. The shocks did come with the bag of parts shown but the shock holes slip fit over the brass things too, stopping only at the wide flange.
So I'm frustrated by not knowing what I'm doing yet and not finding very basic how-to instructions while I get my feet wet and gain experience.

20230623_195537.jpg

20230623_195453.jpg

Short story:
My son bought me the FMS FCX24 K5 Blazer for Father's Day. Fun base for tinkering right? The problem is that nothing comes with instructions.
My bride bought me the Injora 45mm shocks (gold, stock shocks black). I added oil and thought they'd just bolt on easy peasy.
NOPE
The holes in the shocks are larger than the stock balls on the chassis. The shocks did come with the bag of parts shown but the shock holes slip fit over the brass things too, stopping only at the wide flange.
So I'm frustrated by not knowing what I'm doing yet and not finding very basic how-to instructions while I get my feet wet and gain experience.

View attachment 167760

View attachment 167761
The gold brass pieces are called pillow balls. They should fit in the shock the way they are in the pic i attached. As for how they would go together, it should look like the other two pics i attached.
00103404-yeah-racing-trsl-017bu-000-800x800.jpeg

ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg 2.jpg
ezgif.com-webp-to-jpg.jpg

Welcome in @Manderthal , that's the beauty of this hobby. Lots of building, rebuilding, trial and error.
Don't get frustrated with it, there is always a way. You will love to tinker once you start learning a few fix it tricks.
Unfortunately, rarely does parts come with instructions.

Are the pillow balls just stacked (1 for shock, 1 for link) with a long screw going through both of them?

Can you point me to an exploded view showing the position of the parts and the order of assembly?

From the pictures it also appears that each side of the shocks and links are abbuted by an o-ring acting as a rubber bushing. Is that accurate? It's a good idea as real cars do the same but the stock, plastic parts do not do this.

The stock thingy holding both the link and shock end is one piece? Or can the balls be taken off?

From the pictures it also appears that each side of the shocks and links are abbuted by an o-ring acting as a rubber bushing. Is that accurate? It's a good idea as real cars do the same but the stock, plastic parts do not do this.
I actually think the O-Rings are on there more to keep the pillow ball from coming out of the link or the shock end, than for any other reason.

Don't get frustrated with it, there is always a way. You will love to tinker once you start learning a few fix it tricks.
While me over here, when I can't fix something, or broke something, or get mad, i throw my tools. Even if they are expensive ones.

I finally got around to installing the Injora 45mm shocks and Treal clearance links. The shocks came with three sets of springs. I used the middle grade on the front and the heavier grade on the rear. This fixed the nose-up attitude (reverse rake) that it was born with and it sits level now.
I can't really say that performance has improved as the only limitation I've faced in my limited experience (yard) has been traction, though that has been drastically enhanced by the replacement of the stock wheels and 55mm tires by Injora brass beadlocks and 57mm Injora "Rock Terrain Crawler tires".

The images shown in this thread were exactly what I needed to put this together this morning. Many big thanks.
It's funny, now that I've done it, it totally makes sense but without something to follow and no experience, it was a frustration.
Future plans are to throw more bling on it because why not.

20230627_143502.jpg