Newbie questions on engine starting and checking compression

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wixy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am trying to start my rb concept x12 engine with a starter box, and i can't figure out how to do it. I guess the starter box wheel needs to rotate the engine flywheel, but it wont move it when i make contact, it just stops. Is this because the glow plug is in, and so the flywheel is much harder to rotate?

And another question, do i check engine compression with the glow plug in or out? With it in, I cannot move the flywheel a full 360 degrees, but with it out I can move it almost freely but with a small bump in every rotation.

The bump is the pinch of the cylinder sleeve

is the engine new?
most new engines are hard to turn over at first

First off, do you have the posts on your box? are the alligned correctly so the flywheel is directly above the starter wheel? if yes then try pushing down on the box slightly w/ the car on it.....let the wheel get some momentum and then push a little more...you don't want to put a lot of pressure on teh box, you'll stop the wheel.....if it still stops you can loosen the plug about 1/4 to 1/2 turn this will allow the engine to spin easily and not fight the compression.......as soon as it starts tighten the plug up and your good to go....

also you can use a heat gun or hair drier and warm the engine up before trying to crank.that also helps alot on new engines

Back