Newbie needs restoration help !!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExileGTP

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys, just joined up on the forum. I've been into RC stuff since I was little, but never anything over $100. Lately I've been playing with a Syma X1 quadcopter :) But never messed with anything nitro powered before.

I'll let the pictures do the talking as to why I joined up. I believe I have a T-Maxx here after Googleing pics, but I don't know the specific model or generation. I have no manual to reference, which is the first thing I'd like to get a look at so I can get a baseline on how this thing works.
Long story short, this rig has been sitting in a garage/shed for at least 5 years. I have a remote for it but I distinctly remember being told it doesn't work...not that this rig is ready to run anyways.

Just looking to identify this rig so I can begin researching it and any advice as to whether this thing can get back into working order or if it would just end up being a money pit. Not even sure if its safe to clean it with some degreaser and a hose, just not familiar with nitro!

Any help appreciated :D
Pics are high res if you click
th_IMG_1893.jpg

th_IMG_1884.jpg

th_IMG_1886.jpg

th_IMG_1889.jpg

It is most def a #4910 model rig. I would blow it totally apart and start with cleaning everything. Pull the diffs and check them for wear. clean and re grease them prob gonna need it.

It's the 2.5 engine. It's dirty, REALLY dirty, but a lot of that could just be shelf dust. It looks completely stock and the tires are not showing much wear.
For starters, get it cleaned up, get a radio for it (Flysky radio and receiver on Ebay...real cheap but good) Then check your engine compression and let us know before you start it. We'll get you running.
Pick up a glow ignitor, a new glow plug and a quart of new fuel. If it came with fuel, use it for weed killer.

Just ask Rolex for cleaning tips! Hes a pro and waxes all his bodies! Hobbypartz.com has the Flysky GTb3 radio and receiver on sale right now for $39. As for being a money pit, you have been in this hobby awhile and should know that it is not cheap. It all depends on your driving habits. I would start off by completely tearing down the carb 100% and cleaning it with Lacquer thinner. Pull all the needles and clean them! Set it back to factory settings and I bet she will fire!

Wish all it needed was a waxing, could definitely handle that!

Appreciate the response fellas. I look into getting a new remote/receiver. Yea I actually tried to use some Dawn + a lil water on it and a brush, its not just dust. Its dust+grease+dirt baked/frozen on. Hopefully I didnt hurt it, HA.
Idk if you guys noticed the gelatinous goop in the fuel tank picture. Completely covering the intake... Hopefully that stuff isn't in the cylinder too :whhooo:
Looks like this servo is completely broken loose too. Let the list begin...
IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

Also you guys may be interested to know that when I flip the switch on the truck there is a twitch of life from the top servo.
EDIT: Put batteries in the remote here, the truck does seem to respond to everything. Both trims, throttle, steering (loose servo g2g), and F/R shift all cause some movement. I suppose a tear down and cleanup is next step.

May get a better remote down the road, but just wanna see if it will run again first. Especially since they're going for about $150 used on ebay/CL. Be silly to spend more than that to get it running..... not that I wanna run away from the challenge xD
IMG_1897-1.jpg

Last edited:
NEVER start an engine till you've checked out everything with the radio. Brand new alkalines in the radio and receiver before you test.

Change your fuel lines and tank. Add a filter in line and pull the carb as suggested above, remove the O-rings and clean the needle valves with lacquer thinner.
When the carb is off, remove the glow plug and pour some fuel in the cylinder. Let it sit for half an hour and then spin the starter AFTER turning the flywheel by hand for several rotations.
When the engine is free, the carb is clean, the tank, lines and glow plug are replaced you can start filling out applications for part time work. :D You'll love this hobby.
I also agree that it will probably fire back up without major work.

NEVER start an engine till you've checked out everything with the radio. Brand new alkalines in the radio and receiver before you test.

Change your fuel lines and tank. Add a filter in line and pull the carb as suggested above, remove the O-rings and clean the needle valves with lacquer thinner.
When the carb is off, remove the glow plug and pour some fuel in the cylinder. Let it sit for half an hour and then spin the starter AFTER turning the flywheel by hand for several rotations.
When the engine is free, the carb is clean, the tank, lines and glow plug are replaced you can start filling out applications for part time work. :D You'll love this hobby.
I also agree that it will probably fire back up without major work.

No worries, I wouldn't dare try to start it anytime soon.
Not sure what exactly you mean by some of that stuff but I will get to the reading and youtubes and figure it out. Read my edit above...the remote seems to work!

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 PM ----------

What are some good sites for parts? Ebay and Amazon are my go to otherwise...

Whenever you turn on the receiver in the car you'll get a 'twitch' on the servos whether or not the radio is transmitting. You'll need to make sure they work with the radio. You might have a problem with the throttle if old fuel is gummed up in the slide so I recommend you clean the carb and engine before anything else.

Tower Hobbies
A-Main
HobbyTown USA

Thanks Rolex for the help.
All servos seem to respond to the radio :) Fuel tank & lines look pretty cheap, gonna get that ordered asap. Gotta find what glow plug it needs and get that too. You recommend adding an inline fuel filter? Do you know what size I should get?

Gonna get a table setup in the next day or two and start tearing it down hopefully. Weather is warming up FINALLY, would be awesome to have it ready for that. I live right next to a large baseball field/park that is ready to be tore up!

I would run from that radio and receiver. AM systems are horrible for nitro IMHO. Any vibration or any other interference and chances are you'll have a runaway on your hands. You can get a decent 2.4 radio for under 100 bucks these days and is worth it's weight in gold. You can get a system that has a 10 model memory so if you get another model, all you have to do is buy servos and receiver instead of buying the transmitter.

if the radio works run with until you can afford a new/better one but put a throttle return spring on your throttle linkage ,there are several threads on here with good info on it here.
I would focus on the engine and related components such as getting the engine clean and de-gummed, new fuel lines and a new tank if its gummed also a new air filter is a must as is a new glow plug.
having Am radio is not such a bad thing ,it came with a lot of trucks back in the day and still works plenty good ,I still use it on some of my basher rigs without any issues its just a much safer option to run some kind of failsafe when you do.

Really appreciate the link for the filter Rolex, eliminates the guessing. I'll grab that along with the tank/line I will probably get off ebay :)
Just looking at this controller doesn't give me confidence lol. I will get a new one AFTER I make sure this truck will run again. I'm doubtful because I don't know how one of these rigs tolerates 5-6 years of 90º shed in summber to -20º shed in winter. Plus the previous owner, my cousin, is known for not taking the best of care of his things.

Gonna give it a shot tho.

Well... $65 in. Before I submit payment, anything else I should grab?? Essentials only, just enough to see if it runs.
2055 steering servo
fuel tank & lines
glow plug lead wire
OS LC4 Hot Glow plug medium
Dynamite fuel filter
2.5 starting wires
2.5 air filter & cleaner

Oh and +$20 for the new glow igniter/fuel bottle/glow wrench off Amazon.

Last edited:
If you haven't ordered yet, go for the Motor Saver 2 stage air filter. #1 here.

That was one of the auction items I won... too late :( Got the "CLASSIC" pink replacement with housing.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

What kind of cleaning supplies should I track down? paint thinner, fuel itself...what else? wd-40, carb cleaner... automotive grade stuff work all the same or is it too strong?
Soap and water isn't gonna do anything. Grime is holding on strong.

At this point, a very valuable learning experience for you would be a tear down. NOT all at once but section by section and go for the Simple Green and tooth brush method. Clean and learn how each part works. Clean, lube, reassemble and adjust.
When it starts to LOOK new and FEEL new, you'll gain a whole lot of appreciation for it and understand what an amazing little machine it really is.
For most of us here, wrenching is half the fun.

Back