Newbie how to charge not got a clue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1C would be 1/1000th of the mAh rating so a 5000mAh battery would be 5A. 5000/1000=5.
6000mAh = 6A, 3300mAh = 3.3A etc.

So a 3C rate on a 5000mAh battery would be 15A. 5000/1000=5 and 5x3=15.

Hope this helps.
What amp do you charge a 650 mAh battery at? It says it can charge at 3C

Hi all so after my first run do I discharge my lipo ?
Do I then charge it ? Or wait till I’m going to run it , or do both when I’m going to run it ?

I don’t think my charger has a storage mode

Cheers

Do I then charge it ? Or wait till I’m going to run it , or do both when I’m going to run it ?

Cheers
You want to store your LiPo batteries at about 3.8v/cell. What charger do you have again?

Cheers

no need to put the batteries in storage mode, just run the pack down to LVC and that will be close enough... you definitely DO NOT want to store the battery on a full charge. Wait until you plan to use the battery and only charge it just before you plan to use it :)

You want to store your LiPo batteries at about 3.8v/cell. What charger do you have again?
Fusion elysium LX60B pro , how would I know the voltage without putting it on charge , I do have a multimeter but don’t know which setting to put it on. Also can u damage a battery by connecting a . Multimeter if it was on the wrong setting ?

If it's like every other four button type charger, there should be a battery meter that will give you a visual on each cell's voltage.
1674678933569.png

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but charging that 5000mAh 4S LiPo, even at a 1C charge rate (5 amps), your 60 watt charger is probably showing 3.6 amps. In order to charge that 5000mAh 4S pack at 5 amps, you would need at least an 84 watt charger. Keep that in your memory banks if looking for a new charger. Always get more power than you think you'll need. 😎 I see it all the time... people starting out with 2 cell LiPo packs; wanting more speed/power; getting more RCs that use larger number of cells... they soon find out their charger is not up to the task for larger packs.

Kraton... great platform by the way! Enjoy.

Fusion elysium LX60B pro , how would I know the voltage without putting it on charge , I do have a multimeter but don’t know which setting to put it on. Also can u damage a battery by connecting a . Multimeter if it was on the wrong setting ?

I found the manual for your charger here, I highly recommend you read it cover to cover:
https://www.logicrc.com/instructions/o-fs-lx60bp.pdf

I agree, there isn't any mention about "storage mode" though it will let you set charge and discharge settings where you need to decide what voltage you want the storage charge to be which can be either a charge or discharge depending on what the voltage is when you're ready to store your pack.

If the cells are anywhere close to 3.8V per cell then you're fine, it doesn't have to be exact, use your charger to detect voltage.

I found the manual for your charger here, I highly recommend you read it cover to cover:
https://www.logicrc.com/instructions/o-fs-lx60bp.pdf

I agree, there isn't any mention about "storage mode" though it will let you set charge and discharge settings where you need to decide what voltage you want the storage charge to be which can be either a charge or discharge depending on what the voltage is when you're ready to store your pack.

If the cells are anywhere close to 3.8V per cell then you're fine, it doesn't have to be exact, use your charger to detect voltage.
Thank you

TheJANG from URC shared his experience when LiPo technology was first introduced and very little information was available at the time. He bought several brand new batteries and charged them inside his house which was a cool 72°F. He then packed all his RC gear into the trunk of his car on a hot summer day with temps around 100°F, we can only guess how hot temps were in the trunk! He then drove 2 hours to the beach and when he pulled out his gear to install the freshly charged batteries into his RC he discovered that every single LiPo had swollen up into balloon shaped sausages! Never got to use a single battery and they were all destroyed.

Since then, we have learned that heat will increase voltage and it's best to charge the batteries at about the same ambient temperature that they will be used. You also want to minimize the amount of time that the cells are away from storage voltage, more info here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/article/bu-808-how-to-prolong-lithium-based-batteries

View attachment 159059

As a battery ages, the IR of the cells become mismatched any many low quality chargers do not have a respectable "Balance Current" to keep the cells properly balanced so charge times extend 2-3 times longer than when the battery was new. A trick to get around this issue is to use the "Fast Charge" mode which bypasses the CC/CV algorithm... you won't get the proper saturation charge, but you'll get close to 95% of the capacity you need rather than waiting an unacceptable amount of time for the battery to charge.

A better way to deal with charging older packs is to invest in a quality charger with as least 2A of balance current, more info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3496127-Which-charger-is-the-best
I usually keep couple packs in the car and I can confirm that most of them like to puff from excessive heat. I live in Chicago so outside temperature is rarelywell above 80f, I usually try to put batteries somewhere not exposed to sun. Some batteries are more resistant to puffing in higher temperatures. For example Traxxas and venom ddont puff, lectron are ok.

I don't know if you noticed it or not, but charging that 5000mAh 4S LiPo, even at a 1C charge rate (5 amps), your 60 watt charger is probably showing 3.6 amps. In order to charge that 5000mAh 4S pack at 5 amps, you would need at least an 84 watt charger. Keep that in your memory banks if looking for a new charger. Always get more power than you think you'll need. 😎 I see it all the time... people starting out with 2 cell LiPo packs; wanting more speed/power; getting more RCs that use larger number of cells... they soon find out their charger is not up to the task for larger packs.

Kraton... great platform by the way! Enjoy.
Good to know thank you willl look out for this if I decide to get a new one

Back