Newbie here - recommendation for truck under $350

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiStro

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get back into RCs after a 6 year vacation that saw me sell off my MERV. I have a pretty strict budget of 350, and that is the top end of what I want to spend. My general use will be a mix of pavement, grass, and snow in the winter. Ride in my cul-de-sac, so don't need the fastest speed out there, but want it to be fun.

Through initial research, I've come up with the following choices: Arrma Granite 4x4, Arrma Granite BLX, Redcat Volcano EPX Pro, Redcat Blackout XBE Pro

I'm certainly open to other suggestions. I think I'd probably prioritize 4WD over being brushless because of my snow usage, but could be convinced otherwise.

Thanks in advance!!!

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there a big difference in performance between the Senton and the Granite in the same class?
The Senton is easier to drive and will be more stable, better on a track.
The Granite is better for bashing, wheelies and stunts.?

@MiStro the Arrma Senton and Granite 4x4's are essentially the same truck with different bodies so I'd pick the one with the body you like most. That said the Arrma 4x4 mega's are actually pretty awesome trucks like @Kris407 has mentioned and there have been a number of people who have transformed them into something even more powerful such as this build.

Another model to consider would be the Traxxas Stampede 4x4, it's going to run a bit more than the Arrma's but you may find parts a bit easier at your local hobby shop (if you have one).

Another model to consider would be the Traxxas Stampede 4x4, it's going to run a bit more than the Arrma's but you may find parts a bit easier at your local hobby shop (if you have one).

I'll be honest, I don't know much about Traxxas non-VXL models and how they perform. Is there a huge dropoff in performance/increase in maintenance with the brushed?

Am I wrong to prioritize 4WD over brushless for my use case? Would something 2wd but brushless be a better buy and easier to work on when needed? I bought the Revo last time around for it's size and on recommendation from my LHS without doing a ton of research into the differences.

I've heard good things about the redcat models I mentioned (relatively inexpensive, brushless, 4WD, comes with LiPo), but there aren't many upgrades and parts are not as easy to find as they are for Arrma or Traxxas. Also, people on forums don't generally recommend them, but I can't figure the real reason why. For the occasional bashing in my street, yard, and snow, maybe something like this would save me some money in the long run on upgrades (I easily put hundreds into my mini-revo before selling it off).

Last edited:
Traxxas Brushed vehicles aren't quite as fast as their brushless versions. You will also have to occasionally blow the dust out of the motor can and eventually replace the brushes in the motor.

Brushless vs 4X4 really isn't a problem. My recommendation is to go 4X4. You can always add a brushless system later fairly easily as I have done over the years.

You, yourself mentioned the reason that Redcat isn't recommended: Lack of parts availability and upgrades. They've been considered the throw away instead of repair RCs. I fell your pain about the eRevo 1/16. I have a few hundred in mine. If you really want to feel financial pain, go 1/5 scale gas or scale trail trucks.

Thanks @hamz9561 for the input.

If I go with Traxxas, I want to go with something VXL... I was looking at Traxxas showroom, and the Rustler VXL could be a solid choice for a cheaper brushless 2x4. While it wouldn't be as good in the snow as a 4x4, for my usual street running and slanted curb jumping, the 2x4 should be fine.

I'll throw redcat out... even though I'm not looking to upgrade and turn it into a track racer, if I do break something, it would be easier to go with something more easily fixable.

I guess for my price point, the new choices are Rustler VXL or the Granite 4x4 (prefer the look over the senton). I think any stampede less than the 4x4 VXL is going to be a regret, and if I'm going to spend more than 400, would rather just pony up and buy a Kraton. I could always go back to the MERV and start over, but that would hurt a little bit

2wd will be useless in the snow and slick. 4x4 does a lot better in snow/grass than 2wd does. Don't get me wrong though, having a 2wd vehicle is fun, as long as it isn't your only vehicle.

I have 2 2wd vehicles and 7 4wd vehicles. One of the 2wd's is a losi micro high roller I run around the house when I want to irritate cats. The other is a brushless converted traxxas jato. It's fun at the skate park, but not so fun in the grass.

2wd will be useless in the snow and slick. 4x4 does a lot better in snow/grass than 2wd does. Don't get me wrong though, having a 2wd vehicle is fun, as long as it isn't your only vehicle.

Thanks @olds97_lss - looks like the Rustler wouldn't be the right choice.... leaving me with the Granite (which seems a little slow even with a 2S lipo), going back to the MERV VXL, or waiting and going larger with the Kraton V3. Thanks everyone!

Thanks @olds97_lss - looks like the Rustler wouldn't be the right choice.... leaving me with the Granite (which seems a little slow even with a 2S lipo), going back to the MERV VXL, or waiting and going larger with the Kraton V3. Thanks everyone!

The Stampede 4X4 is very similar to the Rustler with the addition of 4WD and a higher center of gravity.

The Stampede 4X4 is very similar to the Rustler with the addition of 4WD and a higher center of gravity.

I went to my local hobby shop and they let me take the rustler for a spin. They put a 3S lipo in (with the slower gearing) and it was a ton of fun for the 10 minutes I ran it. The 2WD might be an issue in the snow the few times that comes up, but for general speed runs and bashing in my street, I don't think I could beat it for the sub-$300 price. I'll just get some snow tires for the rear when the time comes.

Giving a truck a spin for the first time in years, I forgot how much I love the speed... so anything brushed is out (Sorry Granite)

I also saw the new Revo 2.0, and man is that thing sick. I wish i had the budget and the space to use that thing to it's fullest.

I would put a higher priority over 4x4 vs brushless. Just like @hamz9561 has said, you can easily upgrade to brushless at any time - much easier than trying to convert something that's 2WD into 4WD.

Thank you to everyone for your advice. Going to wait a bit and spend a bit more on a truck like the Kraton or the E-Revo 2.0 since I think the combination of 4wd and brushless will be preferred (and I just like that style of truck)

I read that Arrma is planning a new release for tomorrow, teaser video:

Looks like it could be a BLX 3S line (based on subtle hints) which might hit the sweet spot of what I'm looking for.

I think we have a winner for this thread... thanks everyone! I know I said a few posts that I was going to wait and buy a Kraton, but now that I see this thing is out, it hits every bit of criteria I had, and the price is fantastic at $300

Granite 4X4 Brushless

Last edited:
I think we have a winner for this thread... thanks everyone! I know I said a few posts that I was going to wait and buy a Kraton, but now that I see this thing is out, it hits every bit of criteria I had, and the price is fantastic at $300

Granite 4X4 Brushless
Wish that thing existed before I got my stampede 4x4. It's a tough little truck, but the steering setup blows chunks. I just spent $40 on hot racing alloy steering rack and replaced a bunch of ball ends. Hoping that helps with the wandering that thing does. It gets very sketchy at full speed just on 2S! I haven't run it since rebuilding the steering and the HR setup.

@olds97_lss I hear ya. It's like buying a computer with these things - the moment you make a purchase, something new comes out. I know that I'll buy this, then a less expensive 4s Kraton is going to come out and I'm going to wish I bought that. On Tower Hobbies, the page for the new granite lists a BLX120 esc/motor combo in the text above the pictures, and also mentions using a 4S or two 2S LiPos. I bet they inadvertently listed details for a 4S truck on this page, but there's no way to confirm when they will be released.

Can anyone recommend a relatively inexpensive, yet good quality LiPo manufacturer that uses EC5 connectors? Would SMC fit that bill? I came across them on google, but don't know much about their quality.

Back