Newbie here! couple questions and intro.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so guy's tell me my options when It comes to nitro buggies. What do I want to look for. It seems like a ton of em come rtr, which I really don't need or want. Would 500 be a good budget for a begining buggy setup? Remember I'll already have the radio and what not that will carry over from my 10th truck.

Brandon

I see some good info flying around here! THanks guys.

Hey Rob, you really should change your name, like NitroAddict, it just doesn't fit you anymore..

Off topic, did you bore the cylinders to make it a 306? You did start out with a 302 5.0, right?

Started out as a 302, then it was bored .30 over.

I watched alot of teh rora gas nats. this weekend here guys. I've got to get a truck setup going very soon. I'm still unsure about the electric. Only reason I would do that is in order to have a nice indoor track to race everyweek. No as far as nitro goes I will defenitly have a xxxnt drake edition truck very soon. Like I mentioned earlier I just don't want to start spending money on somthing I will only use for a little amount of time.

How long before losi introduces the xxxx electric and gas trucks. Seems like they'll be doing this very soon since ae is releasing the new buggy and truck. I'm not really brand partial, but will probably stick with a certain company once I go that way, just to keep parts a little simpler.

As far as buggies go I'll probably be purchasing a mbx4. Ideas comments suggestions anything guys

Brandon

Hey Rob, you really should change your name, like NitroAddict, it just doesn't fit you anymore..

Damn, thanks maxx I'm flattered.

Originally posted by untchbl
I have money to throw at it within reason that is. for a buggy I was thinking something in the 400 to 500 price range, then buy a good practice engine (o.s.) then a race engine as well.

You know 1/10 Stadium Trucks. You know Losi is the bomb and ae are a close second. If you buy a RTR OFNA buggy or something for $400-$500, you’re not buying the Losi or even the AE of 1/8th scale buggies. You’re buying the Duratrax of the 1/8th scale buggies.

KYOSHO INFERNO MP-7.5 KANAI ED (The "Losi" of the Buggy world)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWX94&P=7

$799

That is JUST A KIT!!!!!!
REQUIRES: Engine: .21 (2-stroke) buggy-style
Radio: 2 channel w/ 2 servos (high torque steering servo recommended)
Manifold, Coupler, Tuned Pipe
Tires: 1/8 scale size
Glow Fuel
Misc. Items: Building, Track Equipment, Diff Oil and Shock Oil.

Engine $250 - $300
exhaust $150
Tires $40
Radio $200
Steering Servo $100
diff oil, shock oil, paint, ca, glow fuel, etc, etc, etc ???

That's $1600. 1/8 buggies are expensive. If you want the first place setup, you're talking loads of money.

If you buy a RTR and upgrade it to a pro, you will spend all of this money plus what it costs to buy the RTR. When you are done, you can put all the spare parts from the RTR back together and have a 100% complete RTR buggy again.

Just so you know. It sounds like you have the funds, but I don't think you know the total cost of the package. ;)

-Rob

I thought I'd show you my setup (Poor-Man's Competative Buggy)

Hot Bodies Lightning Pro ($360)
Sell the stock .21 BB on ebay (-$75)
Hyper .21 8-Port Race ($170)
O.S. 20e carb on ebay ($30) ($70 new :( )
THS One-piece Off-Road Racing 1/8 Pipe ($80)
Kyosho Fuel Filter ($12)
Kyosho Wing ($15)
Kyosho Springs ($30)
Proline Wheels/Tires ($60)
Pro-Line Body ($30)
Hobbico 130oz .20 sec Steering servo. ($40)
JR XS3 ($200)

$950 give or take. I still need to get that THS pipe and the body. The Lightning Pro does not have that name recognition the Kyosho has, but it's it is tough as nails, a good performer and best of all piced well.

If you have the cabbage, get the good stuff, but I thought I'd show you what I run.

Here is another competitive setup that is reasonably priced - this is the setup that humboldt recommended to me, and the one i drive.
==============================
GS STORM PRO BUGGY KIT - $430.00
OS .21-RG ENGINE - $120.00
HITEC LYNX 3D FM RADIO - $180.00
HITEC 645 STEERING SERVO - $70.00
HITEC 625 THROTTLE SERVO - $34.00
TRINITY 1300MA RCV PACK - $32.00
PROLINE TIRES/WHEELS - $60.00
CVEC PIPE - $52.00
-----------------------------------------------
TOTAL : $978.00
-----------------------------------------------
If you are a Newbie, then you will also need misc materials such as the following:
============================
Starter Box - $90.00
Batteries - $40.00
Charger - $50.00
Fuel - $20.00
Glow Starter - $15.00
Misc shop items - $50.00
-------------------------------------
Grand Total: $1243.00
==============================

Hope that helps give you an idea of cost

- Anthony

my set up for buggy..

Lightning pro, (373 with tax out door), old worn in 21bb from savage, 4+gal fo fuel, 16t cb from savage (20), used radio system i had in my nitro mini, stock servos seem to work ok so far (free) but plan to upgrade to a jr in future, plan to upgrade to a 26 in savage so put 8 port race in buggy, (165), body, 25 so it does not lok like every one else, wing (15), so far i am very happy with teh stock wheels and tires, but plan to get a set of proline road rages for it since they work so well on my savage at the track i run (22 for 2) ofna 2 stage foams (10), ofna wheels (15) sold stock 21bb that came with it (-75)

so for inital cost, radio.. and then misc stuff liek fuel filter, glow ignitor id say less then 700 and be able to have a good job on the track.. then once u get good with that set up worry bout more HP, and thinking of ways to make it handle even better.. aka tires, wings..

out the box.. it handles very well.. and the tires seem to last.. one neg i have found.. i have either cracks or light cuts into the stock wheels after 8 hard tanks on the track..

Thanks guys. I plan on doing the 1/10 first so I'll have the supporting stuff, I'll just need the buggy. I'm probably going to go with somthing I can get parts for here locally that way I don't get stuck between a rock and a hard place. I'm not afraid of the 1k price tag, but It would be a fast gradual build up. buy the kit, servo's, pic up the motor, You get the picture. I'll have the money to spend, but it will be in increments. what about a mbx4 kit here at my lhs for 575? Shoot me straight guys. The buggies still a couple months down the road.

Brandon

Originally posted by NoviceRob

You know 1/10 Stadium Trucks. You know Losi is the bomb and ae are a close second.

AE has won more IFMAR's than any other company in the 1/10 ST so how did they become number 2?

doh. I was going off something I heard a while ago. They are neck and neck though.

I kinda like losi a little better. Seems to be a little more cutting edge with the nitro stuff to me.

Brandon

I kinda like losi a little better. Seems to be a little more cutting edge with the nitro stuff to me.

Brandon

That would be a great choice...you definately can't go wrong there. Are you thinking about the Adam Drake edition?

Originally posted by NoviceRob

The Lightning Pro does not have that name recognition the Kyosho has, but it's it is tough as nails, a good performer and best of all piced well.

The Lightning Pro does not have that name recognition the Kyosho has: For a very good reason its not built as well, not designed as well, its just not as good and will not be.

tough as nails, a good performer and best of all piced well: In your opinion which is limited because you have yet to race it. When you bash you can get a good general idea of how tuff the buggy is but you will not know how really tuff and reliable it is until you race it. I think you go around backing that buggy to much when you have such limited experience. Have you wrenched on another buggy? How many different models of buggys have you driven to actually compare them to. We all know you like you buggy and I admit it looks to have good bang for its buck so know that you have made that point time and time again but a comparable buggy to champions? I think not.

nitro dave, the only way i see to go would be the adam drake kit. with an os for learning and practice and then a fantom or somthing of the sort for racing. I'm still thinking of a radio setup, but am leaning toward the m8 or xs3.

any starter box recomendations? I have an old dynamite for a 10gt, but don't like it much. The battery is seperate and all.

Brandon

What about a kit of needed tools? anyone sell one? Nice stuff here fellas to make it a little easier down the road then not having somthing, breaking the cheapies I have then having to run up to the hobby shop.

Brandon do a search on this forum for tools. You should find some good info. I just did a search for another member who was asking the same question about tools.

You also might want to do a quick search on starter boxes as this question comes up a lot. You can get it answered, but I remember some really good threads not too long ago that might really help you out.

As for radios, if you are thinking about racing and you can afford the XS3, I would jump all over that bad boy. I have it and love it. No more crystals. If money is tight, the MX3 is a good choice for entry level FM. Of course that is just my opinion

Originally posted by nitro dave
Of course that is just my opinion

give yourself credit ND your opinion is a good one.

I was realling leaning toward teh xs3. I don't think I'll ever really need all the bells and whistles that come with anything more.

Brandon

I was realling leaning toward teh xs3. I don't think I'll ever really need all the bells and whistles that come with anything more.

Brandon

Very few people really do. The xs3 has everything I need, and for around $200 to boot.

go straight to nitro and get a GS Storm thats all i need to say.

I've already made the decision on the nitro guys, Electrics would just be a back up incase there where no nitro races that week.

Brandon

Back