Newbie here! couple questions and intro.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

untchbl

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Guy's it's lengthy, but please read and get me started here.

So guys, I'm glad I found this site. I'm not new to the hobby, but am new to racing and having the money to do it. When I was about 13 or 14 I bought a losi xxT and assembled the truck, but ran out of money to even be able to buy a motor or anything. Then RcRc, closed down and hell I didn't know where to even go to watch anymore.

Fast forward to about 3 or 4 years ago, I made a little more money, but was busy chasing tail in high school, so couldn't find the time or the patients to learn about the rc10gt I had assembled and messed with some. I sold it the jr radio and everything for like 200 bucks.

Now to the current. Since I've been old enough to drive I've been plaing around with mustangs. I just completed my 91lx 5.0 and now have a nice powerful street car, that I can occasionally take to the track and race. So since the car is done, I thought about all the spare time, (not to mention money I was going to have) and I thought, man I could afford to buy the stuff I've always wanted and go rc racing. So I did a little research, and low and behold we have 3 very nice off road tracks here in the city, not to mention about 5 more withing 2 hour drives. One of these tracks is hosting the rora nitro nats this weekend, and the other is a large indoor track with alot of racers. Rc race place. I went and checked it out yesterday, and it got me way pumped. My long time girl friend, (someday fiance) went with me, and thought it looked fun as well. (this meaning she wont restrict my spending :) ) So I'm starting my research on what truck I want to buy, and what not. I'm probably not much of a driver right now, but will be with some practice. So heres where you guy'ses help comes in.

What should I start with? I'm thinking electric for now, becasue there are so many racers, and the maintence factor. I'll probably go with a truck over a buggy to start out with. (probably losi here). But plan to race way more gas stuff later. (1/8 buggy, 1/10 truck) or should I just start out with the nitro stuff. or should I get a e buggy, then go the nitro stuff. And I'll tell ya right now I eventually will race an 1/8 scale nitro buggy for sure.

So, tell me the way guys. I have money to throw at this, and am capable of being an above average to excellent driver. I'll probably stick with losi stuff where I can, maybe mugen, but I don't really know. I was thinking of right now doing the xxxT with a jr xs3 radio, but don't know a damn thing about battery chargers or what not. Where should I buy my stuff? yada yada yada, anyother good web sites?

Thanks for reading, and set me straight here. I'm excited

Brandon Howe

Skip straight to the nitro. The electric have less problems and this is a plus. It's also a minus because playing with your RC and fixing those problems is half the fun of owning them.

As far as what to buy, take into consideration two things.

1.) What kind of nitros to they race around you?
2.) What parts and hop-ups do the local hobby shops carry?

Honestly, hands on is the best way to learn this hobby. If you have a bunch of guys running a similar rig to yours, they will be able to show you the ins and the outs of that vehicle and you will learn from their mistakes without making them yourself.

Losi and ae are nice picks for the 1/10 scale. I don't think you can go wrong.

Good Luck and Welcome to RCNT :cheers:
-Rob

Last edited:
I say you go right into nitro with the losi xxx-nt I have that truck and it was my first rc. It is pretty user friendly and practicly drives itself. It is great for bashing and for racing so I think you will be happy with it. By the way welcome to the forum and good luck in choosing what you want.

Thanks for the warm greeting guys. They race mugens, losi, and ae around here.

why skip the electric? The only reason I was leaning towards it is because the track that I think I'm going to call home has electric races twice on saturday, and then they only schedual gas stuff every couple months. dont get me wrong, I will have a nitro very soon, but may want to get some driving time with the no hassel electric. But you guy's say to hell with the electrics, so I may just do the nitro thing. 1/10 truck and a 1/8 buggy

Brandon

It's relative to the local scene. If they race electric, run electric. I started with a 1/10 scale ST. I now run a 1/8 buggy for the single reason that the local track runs 1/8 scale buggies. Don't listen to us. We love nitro and you'll see a lot of that. Get your XXXT and then maybe a T-Maxx or even better a Savage 21. The nitro monster trucks are fun for bashing and don't need a track anyway. It sounds like you have the funds to afford both. :classic:

Have any pictures of your 1:1 scale ride? sounds sweet.

My .02cents

Electrics are horrible with one exception. Racing. Other than that, they are useless, as they are slow, require charging, and dont seem to hold up as well. once u purchase all the neccessary support equipment to make it competitive, they usually cost more than a nitro machine. along with that the phylosophy that i have always had and is constantly proven is that whoever has the most money in electric races, wins.

As for what to buy via nitro. IMO - a 1/8 buggy and a 1/10 nitro ST, although very different, are so much more fun. u sound like u enjoy kits, so stay away from the RTR's. Find out what ur track races the most. My recommendations for each:

1/10 truck:
-----------------
AE RC10GT TEAM or LOSI XXX-NT ADAM DRAKE.
OS .12 TR engine
JR X3S not R or HITEC 3D FM SYNTH

1/8 Buggy
------------------
GS STORM PRO or HB LIGHTENING PRO
OS .21 RZ or RG or Hyper .21 8-port engine
SAME RADIOS

you have the money so, the 1/8 scale buggies would be best like this:

Kyosho Inferno MP-7.5 KANAI
Mugen MBX5
GS Storm PRO

Engines:

RB Concepts
Siro
O.S. RZ

I don't suggest the 1/8 scale right off the bat. They are not only bigger, but the learning curve is steeper.

Last edited:
electrics are for kiddies IMHO and nitro is where its at. I can totally understand you wanting to get an electric because it seems like that's what they race where you are at. Be brave I say and hound them about holding some practice races on SAt after the electrics. I bet your nitro running on the track will have what I like to call the "peanut butter effect" meaning it spreads!

Anywho welcome to the board and a big up homeskillet!:mex:

Originally posted by NoviceRob

Engines:

RB Concepts
Siro
O.S. RZ

I don't suggest the 1/8 scale right off the bat. They are not only bigger, but the learning curve is steeper.

how could u rate anything below an OS for a newbie nitro??? u been smokin with blazer again? lol

as for the 1/8th learning curve. i was thinking that, but to be honest, if u have rc experience already i think it would be okay

RB Concepts WS7 + Kyosho Inferno MP-7.5 KANAI is the first place setup. The engine gets it's name from a race (the world's 7 or something like that). My LHS guy thought I was on crack when I told him I bout the hyper 8-port race. His exact words were "we all run either the RBs, the Siros or the O.S.". OS has a big name in the 1/10 cause that engine is the bom for that class. OS also has a big name in airplanes. It's just not the the case in the 1/8th scene. The europeans are king there.

I love my buggy, but it's really the low budget solution to the 1/8th scale price tag. If untchbl can throw that much into this 1:1 car, then he's got R/C money shooting out his arse. Like Eddy. LOL

Last edited:
agreed - i was just referring to the tuning charateristics of the euro mills. a newbie to nitro would find it almost impossible to achieve a good tune with any of those engines.

It isnt that hard to tune a Sirio. It was my first racing engine and first Italian engine and it was so much easier than I thought. The only thing is I reccomend learning on something cheaper because if you make a mistake you can fry a really pricey engine.

Well, guy's I agree about the e cars and trucks being worthless with the exception of racing. I wouldn't dump much money with the exception of the radio here. Probably race a stock truck class, just to get the necessary driveing practice needed.

Now as far as kits go I've built a old xxt, and also a 10gt a while back. Kit's dont scare me one bit. I'm a little nieve about tuning a nitro motor, but I'm sure It can't be to tuff.

I'll probably go with the losi, just because I like the design a little better. Now as far as 1/8 buggies, I don't know anything about em. I'll probably see what I can find parts for locally, then get with you guy's and try to make a decision.

Radio I plan on buying is jr's xs3. I don't need a bunch of crazy bells and whistles.

I also plan on getting a savage for bashing.

I'm going to go for a pretty serious race program, travel and the whole bit here, but my main intention is to do somthing fun with my time.

Here are a couple pics of my 1:1 scale ride.

Brandon

Attachments

• clean coupe.jpg
    clean coupe.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 78
My .02 is that you can't beat nitro. The sound and smells are so much more realistic. If you have the tracks to run them on, that is great, you can help jump start the nitro scene at your tracks. Honestly, electrics don't have the fun factor that nitros have. I would suggest you start with the type of truck your LHS stocks parts for. If guys are running stadium then start there. You have already been given great options. Most importantly, have fun.

I have money to throw at it within reason that is. for a buggy I was thinking somthing in the 400 to 500 price range, then buy a good practice engine (o.s.) then a race engine as well.

I probably won't ever be a pro level driver, but will make some tuning adjusments. so I don't need some wild buggy at all.

they do race a ton of gas around here, but it's on outdoor tracks and the turn out's are never predictable. At least that's how it seems from my very limited investigations right now

Brandon

:OT: I just bought a F-150 with a 5.0 mustang engine in it and the sucker is sweet. It's got 4x4 and everthing. I just need FlowMasters now. My Santa Rosa office is right next door to the FlowMaster office so I started talking to them about a trade for comp work. Do you have the 5.0 in that Stang?

The car has a very mild 306. 5.0 is 302. The car has ported stock heads, mild cam, cobra intake, and a novi2000 supercharger. The brakes and wheels are from a 98 cobra, it has full exhaust, and a spankin new interior.

Brandon

nice...............:whhooo:

If you are going to get the JR xs3 you could buy a lotto ticket. We are only have a couple of tickets left you could get that radio for 7.50 (just thought I would let you know) to check it out just click on the lottery link at the top of the page.

Back