Newbie break-in help please.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwdriver

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
New to Nitro R/C. I have a RS4 3 Type SS. Just got done building it and ran the idle break-in (2 tank fulls). Went to break in the car in low and mid range speeds but it takes almost full throttle to get the car moving. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Screwdriver

turn both needles in 1/16th of a turn. Take your time with the break in. Don't be looking for performance yet. Patience during break in will give you a reliable engine, if you treat it right.

As I said I'm new at this but both needles? I only see one thing to turn. By adjusting these needles should it give me low and medium range speeds? As of right now I almost have to go full throttle to even go at all. And I am taking my time. That's why I came on here. I didn't/don't want to ruin anything. Thanks again. Screwdriver

What engine do you have? You say this is a kit you built. the RS4 SS has the 12RSS engine on it and it has a 2 needle carb that you can tune.

Let us know what your engine is.

Umm I still have the 12Rss and I have the HSN needle that you see in that diagram. I also have another one where the needle is located where the rotay arm is or the slide carb boot is. The idle is considered sometimes as a needle to people and then there is a Midrange needle. you don't have that so don't worry about it.

Give us a couple pics of your engine and carb assembly

Jon

Attachments

• engine1.JPG
    engine1.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 182
  • engine2.JPG
    engine2.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 181
  • body1.JPG
    body1.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 150
  • body2.JPG
    body2.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 165
  • body3.JPG
    body3.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 156
I see you are on the forum now, so can you give us a view of the OTHER side of the carburetor? Not the side with the linkage. I can't imagine it doesn't have a LSN on it.

Well, I looked again at the break in instructions you posted, and I see no mention of a LSN. If that's the case, turn your HSN in 1/16th of a turn, try it, and if it's still sluggish, turn it in again, same amount. Do not lean it out till it's fast, since you are still breaking it in. Take your time.

I'm just not familiar with that particular engine, but I don't see a LSN on the barrel. I guess it just has a main tuning needle and the idle screw.
I recommended that you turn it in 1/16th at a time, since often 1/8th will take it too far when you get close to the 'sweet spot'. It shouldn't accelerate fast as long as you are still breaking it in. It still needs to run on the rich side for a few more tanks.
Good luck with it. Keep us posted as to how it worked out.

I got the 12Rss engine and installed it onto my RTR 3 and my NTC3. I am sure it had the LSN. Clarify this for me..Did you get the engine in the kit?

Sorry haven't had time to take more pics. Yes I got it in the kit. Thank you guys for your help.

Back