Newbie advice on cooling RC motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wittybebop

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all still learning, my Kronos will just stop after a thrash, I take it will have a thermal cut off, does anyone have a recommendation for a good cooling fan(S) heatsink for the motors and are they all one diameter?
Looking for a decent one

While your motor is probably getting too hot also, when the RC shuts off from Thermal fail safe that is the ESC getting too hot.

I know the ESC has a fan on it already but is a stock one up to the job usually?

Hi all still learning, my Kronos will just stop after a thrash, I take it will have a thermal cut off, does anyone have a recommendation for a good cooling fan(S) heatsink for the motors and are they all one diameter?
Looking for a decent one

What vehicle do you have? Dropping down 1-2 teeth on the pinion will usually solve this issue. It will make you a little slower, but your electronics will last longer, your drive time will last longer, and it is a lot cheaper than a fan settup. Although it is a little slower on the top end, your acceleration will be greatly enhanced.

Hi it’s a Corally Kronos, I have a Radiolink controller now and it’s set to about 20% top throttle to potter in the local RC track but when you really let it rip on grass after 5mins it cuts I can see the light on the esc flashes 5times green saying overheat so I just let it cool down.
It’s mainly at the top end we’ve have this problem just looking at advice on Keeping it cool on the big area blasts

witty you already know your motor is thermalling .thats due to over gearing.. go to a smaller pinion .not sure what your running now..no amount of fans will stop the motor from over heating. Only reducing pinion size will...

Last edited:
TNT speaks the truth. It's your gearing. If it is stock, that doesn't mean it's right. The factories will sometimes gear it high to make you more excited about how fast it is. On the down side, you can't push it hard because it can't handle it. I would drop down 1-2 teeth on the pinion. personally, I would drop 2 teeth to get more off the line power and longer run times. It will still be quite fast.

witty you already know your esc is thermalling .thats due to over gearing.. go to a smaller pinion .not sure what your running now..no amount of fans will stop the internals from over heating. Only reducing pinion size will...
Thanks, it only seems to be on full thrash which is way too fast for small tracks, being able to adjust the EPA on the throttle side to slow it down seems to stop anything overheating, reading the “net” it was 6 green flashes on the esc which denotes motor thermal cutoff its preset from factory.
I love the full speed thrash on an empty field, but small spaces is just a no no anyway.

TNT speaks the truth. It's your gearing. If it is stock, that doesn't mean it's right. The factories will sometimes gear it high to make you more excited about how fast it is. On the down side, you can't push it hard because it can't handle it. I would drop down 1-2 teeth on the pinion. personally, I would drop 2 teeth to get more off the line power and longer run times. It will still be quite fast.
If I changed the pinion I take it the bit at the end of the brushless motor, do I need to change the flywheel as well?

Nope. Just the Pinion. Just make sure you have the proper spacing between the two gears. Don't make it tight against each other. Literally, leave a "babies hair" thickness gap between the gears.

Thanks I’m looking into the hearing now ??

please get the terminology we use correct they are said in manuals...its spur not flywheel. and its using a piece of paper to set gear mesh.. I use a folded piece of paper gear mesh setting .place paper in between spur and pinion and push together to set mesh then rotate spur to get paper out

please get the terminology we use correct they are said in manuals...its spur not flywheel. and its using a piece of paper to set gear mesh.. I use a folded piece of paper gear mesh setting .place paper in between spur and pinion and push together to set mesh then rotate spur to get paper out
Thanks for the info and how to set it correctly, I’ll be looking into a different pinion soon ??

Thanks for the info and how to set it correctly, I’ll be looking into a different pinion soon ??

I use to use foil. It's shiny! I like shiny. just make sure you don't push too hard on the paper and punch the teeth thru.

Looking for a decent one
Motor heat sinks come in various sizes depends on the size of what is called the can size ie... 540 can 550 can ect fans are usually installed on the esc that helps with cooling speed controller motor over heating can be caused by improper gearing or something in a slight bind ect

Back