New to the crawler side of RC need to know something.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpslash667

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
Hey everyone, just got a trx4 sport, now I'm having a hard time finding part upgrades for it. Now my question is, does it share the same parts as the trx4? It's a fun truck so far!

20220821_200531.jpg

For the most part the trucks are the exact same, however there are some differences

TRX4 Sport Has:
Single Speed Transmission (Housing is still the same)
The axle diffs have a locker and are not adjustable
Bumpers
Transmitter
Cosmetics

That being said it can all be interchanged, and Traxxas sells kits/parts to add the servos and be able to adjust the diffs/transmission gearing.

From what I gather only difference in the trx4 an trx4 pro is trx4 has locking different an 2 speed sport does not an only one speed. I'm sure parts are interchangeable

Upgrades for what? You may need some weight up front and down low, better wheels and tires and a better servo. The latter two are universal to 1/10 crawlers. Most of the running gear and suspension is great as it is.

For the most part the trucks are the exact same, however there are some differences

TRX4 Sport Has:
Single Speed Transmission (Housing is still the same)
The axle diffs have a locker and are not adjustable
Bumpers
Transmitter
Cosmetics

That being said it can all be interchanged, and Traxxas sells kits/parts to add the servos and be able to adjust the diffs/transmission gearing.
Thanks man! I was gonna do those upgrades and add the locking diff and 2nd gear since I'm using the tqi reciever that supports it.

Cool! So all the brass upgrades and stuff for the trx4 fit the sport too, thank you sir!
Thats what
Upgrades for what? You may need some weight up front and down low, better wheels and tires and a better servo. The latter two are universal to 1/10 crawlers. Most of the running gear and suspension is great as it is.
That's what I mean....
Also gonna put the 2 speed in eventually, go brushless and get locking diff for it

Last edited:
If your interested in locking diffs and a 2 speed trans, just get another TRX4 that comes with all that. By the time you buy all the parts to upgrade it, your close to the cost of the entire truck. Just quickly looking at prices for 2 locking diffs, 2 speed trans, and the 3 servos required, your in the $400 range. I've seen sales that get you the truck RTR for around $500.

The appealing part of the TRX4 sport, to me anyway, is the simplicity of it. Upgrading the electronics would be a step up as I'm not fond of Traxxas esc's and as someone else already mentioned, adding weight up front and low will help a lot but other than that, I'd run it as is. JMHO.

I'm also new to this. Almost picked up a TRX4 sport 6 months ago but got caught up in the more accessories is better mentality and passed on the deal. I'd jump on that same deal now after learning that simpler is actually better in most scenarios. The sport seems like it's the benchmark for the RTR market. Enjoy that rig, she's a solid platform with alot of potential.

A little over 2 years with my TRX4 Sport and all I've done running gear wise is change over to a Hobbywing 1080 ESC which is a good investment and swap out the plastic axle housings and front caster blocks for aluminium Yeah Racing housings and Treal C blocks. I snapped an axle housing playing in the snow.

Other than that it's all been body stuff recently.

PXL_20220821_024754227.jpg

Back