New to RC World - Used DuraTrax Warhead refuses to start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to find comedy in this right now ;-)

50's is cold enough the extra heat will make a difference. I still think from your description that the motor is worn, usually you can still start 'em cold and run for while.

A cheap alternative to a new engine is sending the piston/sleeve off for a re-pinch.

Do they sell rebuild kits at all? I've found rebuild kits for other engines...just not this one of course.

I just did some searching and I didn't see anything. There's new engine on eBay for $95, but no rebuild kits. Parts will be getting harder to find, the Warhead has been discontinued.

Replace the exhaust gasket, that will cause it to be hard to start. Check the fuel tank lid O-ring with the soapy water test. Any bubbles is a problem.
The engine is ran in, so the factory settings are only going to flood it every time you try to start it.
Check that the pressure tap on the exhaust is not clogged.
Set the HSN to 3 1/4 turns. Set the LSN around 11 1/2 to 12 turns out. Measure the idle gap to be sure it has between 1-2mm opening.
Other things to check, see if the OWB inside the roto backplate is spinning freely in one direction and grabbing the shaft in the other direction.
If the OWB turns the starter shaft in both directions that will cause your problem.
The engine is a POS in these trucks. I have dealt with a couple and did not like them at all. One even would pour fuel out the front bearing just trying to prime the engine!

So let me make sure I understand this correctly. The idle screw (under the HSN on the carb body itself) should be moving the internal carb body so it creates a 1mm - 2mm gap when looking into the carb with the air filter off. That could be part of the problem. I have been adjusting the carb gap using the LSN for the most part since it seems to move. Back to the garage tonight to see what happens....

The OWB bearing is perfectly fine. I did check that when I took the backplate off to inspect the Kwik Pit setup. Only spins the motor in one direction.

So here's another question. If the motor is dead, what would be a good affordable replacement. Keep in mind this is my first Nitro truck...so I don't want to slap a $500 powerplant in here.

I appreciate all the help you guys have been able to offer thus far! Even if it doesn't fire up...I still feel welcomed as the new guy.

Good news! LHS got this sucker fired up in @ 15 minutes and got to learn a few things ;-)

1. My Kwik Pit was spinning WAY too slow. Too small a battery from the previous owner so I wasn't even spinning the motor near enough.

2. The Previous Owner had the carb slide in wrong since the Idle Screw was not in the slot on the carb, and I put it back together the same way.

3. The Idle Screw was basically useless the way it was setup.

4. My Settings were DAMN close to getting it fired up. He only went in/out @ 1 turn on the HSN and LSN.

5. Carb isn't sealed where it mounts so too much air is getting into the motor. He covered the carb with his finger and it finally fired up after some coaxing.

Thank god for LHS! He just made a customer for as long as I live bear him! He spent 15 min on it, and charged me $0.

Now he also told me that DuraTrax are a pain in the rear to work on, and he charges twice the normal hourly rate when customers bring them in for that reason. Made me believe this may not be a good first truck. Anyone else share that opinion?

THANKS for all the help guys.... Now to wait for a new charger to get here to charge this darn new Kwik Pit battery. Ugghh

Woo Hoo!!! That was amazing that he did that for nada. He wants a customer and I am glad you well be one. If you ever decide to give up on the Warhead look into the Losi LST series (LST, LST2, Aftershock, Raminator). They are great rigs with a really good radio system and tons of fun. You might even have a guy that MIGHT look at the Warhead if the price were right... ;)

Yeah he was amazing for sure. Nice guy named Otto down at Toy Town Hobby Shop (http://www.toytownhobbyshop.com/) in Fuquay Varina, NC for anyone near here. TONS of parts in stock and it's run by Otto and his wife Anna. Nice little family business. They don't stock DuraTrax parts, but hey....I'll make do!

It's kind of fun feeling like an idiot with a motor again let me tell you. I was excited like a 2 year old again when I heard it run. lol Hopefully this weekend I may get to drive it for the first time.

I'll tell you though, you guys rock out here. I learned more in one forum thread about these things than I did in 3 days of researching them on my own!

Actually, I think if I knew the Kwik Pit was turning the motor too slow....the rest I could have gotten done with the info you guys gave me. As soon as he fired his up at the shop I was like "Oh crap! I know why I'm not hearing pops!" The only thing I was playing dumb on was the carb slide slot. I should have put 2 and 2 together...but oh well. Live and learn! hehe

Now he also told me that DuraTrax are a pain in the rear to work on, and he charges twice the normal hourly rate when customers bring them in for that reason. Made me believe this may not be a good first truck. Anyone else share that opinion?

Glad to hear it's running and not a toasted engine. Sometimes hard to get the right fix when you're not actually there to see what's happening. Maybe we'll get it next time, if there is one.

Like I had said previously, I just purchased a used Warhead so I'm going to find out real quick how hard/easy it is to work on. Then again, anything I can tear apart while sitting at a bench isn't hard to me! It's built very similar to a Savage(I have a 25) so I don't anticipate it being too difficult.

As a first time RC Truck owner, I managed to rip the motor out and have it apart on my dining room table inside @ 30 min....so I thought it was pretty easy as well. Other parts look rather tucked into the chassis though so it would seem I'd have to yank 3 other pieces to get to it. Maybe that's what he was referring to.

I could care less about fast replacement...as long as I can replace stuff myself and not have to wander to the LHS for repair. I'd rather just go there for glow plugs and fuel ;-)

I was semi-swearing at it last night though since I had to remove the motor mounts to actually get the carb mounted back on. The screw that secures it in place can be removed easy enough, but putting it back in I was off center to the bolt hole. So that was kind of a pain, but 4 extra screws isn;t too much of a big deal. Or maybe I need smaller allen wrenches ;-)

OK so I finally got to drive this thing for the first time and all I can say is WOW. That big arse truck MOVES OUT in a hurry! This is gonna take a bit of getting used to. hahaha I didn't realize how fast these tiny engines were!

It was fairly dark, and freezing so I only got a few runs up and down the street and a few laps around the front yard (big yard) and I think I might be hooked. lol

Glad to hear it! Wait until you see what a real engine can do in one of these trucks. That engine makes about 1/2 the h.p. and torque that most .28 engines do.
The good thing about that truck is it can be bumpstarted, that gives you tons more options to choose from when selecting a new engine. All the other monster trucks have to be rotostart or pullstart.

I actually like the RotoStart method, but of course I don't have a starter box, nor have I ever tried one. I made the mistake last night of starting it while on a stand though, and I don't think I will ever do that again. That damn thing was revving to the moon with no resistence. lol

I'm still trying to find the right amount of priming though and that will just take time I think. I fired her up @ 4 times last night and the first one was near first shot, 2nd took me 5 min, 3rd took @ 15 min, and final one was near instant. Fun fun fun.

I have a lot to learn....but I'm hoping to run a few tanks through it tomorrow if it's not too cold. Temp dropped to @ 20 degrees here in NC last night. I want sun!

Glad you're getting some run time on it. It does take a bit of learning on these things, but they are addictive as noted by your statement "I think I might be hooked".

The bump start was something I noticed right away, not sure I'll go that route though since none of my other trucks can use it. I have a pull start on it now. I wonder if yours is the EVO version since it has the roto start, that's part of the upgrade kit.

Post some pics if you get a chance, I(most all of us) like to see the trucks too!

Yeah I have an EVO, through the upgrade kit ;-) Here are some pics. Scored it all for $150 (re-chargeable glow ignitor is missing from the pic too).....which I thought was decent. I posted a link to pics above somewhere, but I'll attach a few.

I still need to clean it, but I wanted to focus on making it generate noise first :D:D:D:D

Last edited: