New to nitro RC: looking for first car advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wasn't comparing 80s rc10 to a modern converted rc10, any moreso than i compare my 69 vette to a tesla,
I said there were fast rc10s in the day, which there was,
Will an 80s spec rc10 spank a modern converted rc10? Depends on drivers skills.
Let me run my modded nitro rc10 against a modern electric converted rc10, dirt oval, lets see what happens.
But for playing, bashing or dog chasing doesn't make much difference to me.
Like i said the used chimera i bought the guys pitbull went nuts on it, but i modded it anyway.

Nitro is dead? Maybe ill, not buried yet,
Years back At the one shop i worked at 98% of nitro issues were guys who simply could not turn them, i was lucky to have that gift, guys would look at me deer in headlights when i took a car they called defective junk and had it screaming in a few minutes,

I hope nitro lingers a while longer, your shop guy might be right but the shop i worked for that owner had his opinions and biases that were not based in facts but he pushed his opinions on people,
Yeah, i can see people today grabbing a rtr electric then seeing it a few months later on CL.

My Losi Jr 2 was pretty fast with a Modified Twister motor ,the torque & speed of it was by far not the issue ,it was the 5 minute run time ,
also had to perform maint. on the motor with brushes ,comm an bearing lube!

What is funny ,I still see & want that back!....?

My Losi Jr 2 was pretty fast with a Modified Twister motor ,the torque & speed of it was by far not the issue ,it was the 5 minute run time ,
also had to perform maint. on the motor with brushes ,comm an bearing lube!

What is funny ,I still see & want that back!....?

Pretty much any mechanical item will need its maintenance,
If not what fun is it?

2020 with covid and all isnt a great gauge and I'm guessing regions vary but as i recall "in general" bitd
racing at the very least going to a track was a integral part of true hobby level RC, early 90s we ran weed boats every sunday,

I recall countless younger ones with grasshoppers and the occasional frog or hornet bouncing around the track, those same kids could tear down and rebuild their cars,
Now those kids race but do it on their phone app,

I havent seen kids out playing with RC cars in their yards or street in decades, last i did see was last year a 20 something fellow in Wal-Mart parking lot annoying people with a car with pvc on its tires sliding all over.

I wasn't comparing 80s rc10 to a modern converted rc10, any moreso than i compare my 69 vette to a tesla,
I said there were fast rc10s in the day, which there was,
Will an 80s spec rc10 spank a modern converted rc10? Depends on drivers skills.
Let me run my modded nitro rc10 against a modern electric converted rc10, dirt oval, lets see what happens.
But for playing, bashing or dog chasing doesn't make much difference to me.
Like i said the used chimera i bought the guys pitbull went nuts on it, but i modded it anyway.

Nitro is dead? Maybe ill, not buried yet,
Years back At the one shop i worked at 98% of nitro issues were guys who simply could not turn them, i was lucky to have that gift, guys would look at me deer in headlights when i took a car they called defective junk and had it screaming in a few minutes,

I hope nitro lingers a while longer, your shop guy might be right but the shop i worked for that owner had his opinions and biases that were not based in facts but he pushed his opinions on people,
Yeah, i can see people today grabbing a rtr electric then seeing it a few months later on CL.

There is a LOT of that bias at HS that I've been to.

Nitro is ill, but I've seen an uptick lately. More nitro products posted on RedRC and Big Squid(though BS seems very electric oriented - and biased). Definitely a good amount of nitro MT's on the FB groups I frequent. Mad Crusher seems to have been a big boost in that arena, and a lot of the old Mad Force guys are getting back into it. So many "I really miss nitro" posts too. The nitro groups I belong to have gotten way more active this past year for sure.

There is a LOT of that bias at HS that I've been to.

Nitro is ill, but I've seen an uptick lately. More nitro products posted on RedRC and Big Squid(though BS seems very electric oriented - and biased). Definitely a good amount of nitro MT's on the FB groups I frequent. Mad Crusher seems to have been a big boost in that arena, and a lot of the old Mad Force guys are getting back into it. So many "I really miss nitro" posts too. The nitro groups I belong to have gotten way more active this past year for sure.

My experence is any hobby store wants to make $$$ so they will always push what they can sell the easiest at the most $$$,
Of course they have to balance personal tastes and ego with what a customer wants,
I can't count how many shops I've seen closed because they tried too hard to tell the customer what the customer wanted rather than listen.

The owner of the shop i worked at wasn't subtle he made it clear he felt cars and boats were for lowlifes, thats the word he used, and at the time i was there he didnt have much in cars, weedboats were selling great, i would build 2 or 3 a night so even though he thought i was a lowlife too i made him $$$,
However, the fun for me wore thin from his attitude and i quit on good terms, this wasn't my career.

I see why a hobby shop might push electric over nitro, i can only speak for myself but a lot of hs workers dont really know how to do nitro, some fake it better than others, so sure, call nitro a dead end make fun of relics who like it and push a plug and play rtr electric on a person who pays you to change the sub rate servo rtr came with, then i see that rtr 3 months later on CL for a third what they paid and another person lost from the rc hobby.

Most RC hobbyists who stay with it are to some degree or another mechanically inclined or out right gear heads, and no matter how easy, and fast modern electrics are they just fall short for many,

I do own electrics i have fun with them but i would get bored with the hobby without nitro,

Dont bury me, I'm not dead yet.

Some really interesting opinions here, guys. Much appreciated. I think I am going with the Losi 8ight buggy for the kids and wife, and a Kyosho MP7.5 Kanai edition III for me :D :cool:. Pretty stoked all the way around and quite excited to burn some nitro in the somewhat near future!