New to Nitro is TMAXX a good choice?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the 2.5 engine is totally awesome...mine is easy to tune and start every time i take it out.

I have a T-Maxx that I have dumped almost $4k into, and it is a SWEET truck! The durability sucked on it before I upgraded to every piece Hardcore Racing makes & the Unlimited Engineering suspension kit... Now it's a tank. The stock engine was good when it was a stock truck, but I noticed it slowing down after I added all the metal pieces... I upgraded to the Sirio .18 engine and it's a rocket again.
If you're looking for pure durability out of the box, the savage is an awsome truck. A friend of mine bought one the same time I bought the T-maxx and about 2 weeks later at a drag race, he lost control of his truck, slammed it into the tire of a Lincoln Town Car, and the Lincoln drove over his savage. The only damage he took was a cracked fuel tank, bent roll cage, and 1 broken shock tower... once those were replaced, he was race ready again... so anything that is stock that can be ran over by a 4,000 pound car and cost under $20 to fix has my vote on durability...

Temlon - Hey man. Almost "$4k into your truck". You better break out the pics quick or the "Your full of chit" vultures are gonna eat you alive...hehe. Sounds sweet but with that much money you should be running a mod'd Big bore.

4u2nv - Hey dude.....You probably know how to drive and haven't hit any poles yet..lol. You can still break plenty of stuff on the Stock 2.5 maxx from just mild-hard bashing and no accidents but lets be honest...the majority of damage is caused by nasty wrecks. As long as your having fun it's all good bro.

Chrisk - If you where just driving on your lawn and broke an A-arm/s then I'd theorize that your stock hingpins where bent and ready to go and break out of the A-arms @ any minute. I've rolled and cartwheeled a stock Maxx 20+ times going over 35 when it started rolling and didn't break arms.

Well the best attchment I can post is 480x480, so he's a 480x320 picture... it's small, but hope it keeps the vultures away ;)

Just relized I could make a gallery... I'll create one and see if I can further prove my worth :)

Attachments

• t-maxx.jpg
    t-maxx.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 151
Very, VERY nice truck dude. No dis but I'm definitely not c'ing 4k even assuming your including $500 for the original Maxx cost. Is that a standard size maxx chassis?? Throw a sweet ass RC Solutions cage on it. Love that purple allumminum, what kind of gears are inside the tranny case??

EDIT - What kind of arms are you running. I'm not into metal arms but those look sweet? What kind of skids and what kind of shocks??

Last edited:
I have every metal piece Robinson Racing makes for it, as well as spare plastic spur gears for different ratios. Currently it's running the Sirio TX-18 with a 68t spur & 23t bell.

Some of the parts...

1. Unlimited Engineering SuperMaxx EXT Suspension Pro Kit
2. Every aluminum / titanium piece Hardcore Racing makes (other than Unlimited Engineerings, bumper, or skids)
3. Sirio TX-18 Engine w/ Big Bore Pipe
4. JR Racing DZ8550 Racing Servo
5. Proline Servo Saver Kit

Just took some pictures, I'll make a gallery, but here's another shot for you...

Attachments

• front_shot.jpg
    front_shot.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 135
4k or not that's a pimp ass truck with good color choices bro. I had that sweet UE Pro suspension in 7075 (bought it for $179 when they had it on sale post X-mas) but sold it as I just can't stand the thought of running metal Arms the way I romp. I kinda wish I kept the Suspension as the adjustability is the only reason I bought it and sweet as hell.

I would seriously reco you 86 your front bumper setup asap and throw the Rc solutions skid on the front. All your gonna do is cause serious possible damage to all that nice metal if you hit something head on @ high speeds. Here's a simple rhetorical question. Is a bumper on a 1:1 car truck made to absorb a 30+ MPH impact?? Of course not. The best hop up for a Maxx imho is getting read of the front bumper and just running a good skid.

Again, sweet truck and welcome to the forum bro.

Thanks for the compliments on the truck... I get a ton of them at the track... I turned this beast into a street racer and have been dominating the track out there. I hardley put this thing in the dirt any more, was looking at at 7.5MP 3rd Gen buggy to play in the dirt, but my wife won't let me spend $750 just for the buggy kit that doesn't include an engine :) ...
$179 is a killer deal on the UE suspension, I got mine for $399 when it was on sale, now it's back up to $429, but beats retail of $579... The reason I'm still wearing the stock bumpers is for impact reasons... with the plastic bumpers & plastic arms that connect the bumper to the bulkheads, it usually gives a little before the impact hurts to much and since I'm generally street racing there aren't that many trees out there :) ... again, thanks for the props on the truck, you never get tired of hearing good things about your stuff ;)
Oh, BTW, I have the New Era Models titanium cage for this thing, but when I put the Sirio Big Bore pipe on it, the cage rests on it and damn near wore a hole into the pipe, so I don't run with the cage any more...

Didn't see your EDIT up there... I'm running the Unlimited Engineering arms, it's all part of the setup: http://www.unlimitedengineering.com/cgi-bin/store/13100.html ... I've got the Big Bore Shocks on it ... I got sick of waiting for the ProLine Power Stroke, I'll get them when they come out...

The skids are cheapy Dynamite skids, couldn't justify spending the money for the Hardcore titanium ones since you can see from my gallery what the street does to the purple... One note about the skids, they do not line up with hardcore racings chassis braces when running the hardcore tranny case... it's to narrow... so I can't put my center skid on any more :(

Temlon, that's a great lookin' truck. Did you upgrade mostly for looks, or for durability, or for performance? Perhaps all of those reasons?? I can see a lot of money there.

I'm glad to see someone dump all that money and still not be afraid to run it. I was looking at the skid plates, thinking "how did he get the cool decal-lookin' purple spots onto the silver skid plates?", then quickly realized they were ground down by contact, LOL.

I like your comments about the stock bumper setup. I keep my stock T-Maxx bumper for the same reason, it soaks up a lot of the impact forces in a collision. I'm curious as to why you did the aluminum arms. Once they bend, that's it. Plus, in an impact, those arms send more stress to the chassis. However, they certainly look nicer than plastic pieces. Truck looks awesome.

You like purple, so do I. Check out my purple EK4: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5160&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

Seems many peoples first truck was the maxx. But the maxx is a very good beginner truck. Simple designs and the truck lets you know when you've gone too far with it.

Just a thought, but RC-Solutions spring steel skids are a nice replacement for your current skids. And you can dump the bumpers. They are relatively cheap as well. I think like $20 for front and rear. $40 for good protection and good looks is a nice combo in my book. I run the skids on my 21 maxx and they can handle some abuse.

I just bought the RC solution skid and they do take some good abuse. I still use my bumper with mine, I think it looks better with it on.

when i first got into nitro R/C i started off with a TRAXXAS Nitro Stampede, a good beginner truck, very fun. then over a year ago i got a t-maxx. there is a big difference between the 2. the t-maxx could get confusing with a beginner just because there are so many parts, and the lingo.

later

Chevy-SS, every nice looken truck! That is a true purple machine! The first aluminum piece I bought was the skids and quickly noticed the purple gets scratched off with anything it comes in contact with... that's why I went with the silver in there as well... figured anything that would scrape would be silver and the purple would be the *bling bling* :) ...

I have to admit, my upgrades got a little out of control... originally I wanted aluminum skids, shock towers, & bulk heads (those broke the most)... but then I saw the UE suspension, so I threw that in there cause it was a lot of pieces... then I noticed I had a lot of silver and was lacking on the purple, so I started throwing more purple in, and once I had half the truck silver & purple, I noticed the black was ugly and looked cheap, so I went to www.hobbyshopnj.com and bought 95% of hardcore's pieces for this thing... then with all that aluminum / titanium I noticed I was slowing down in the races, so I had to buy a new engine which required me to get a new pipe and air filter... so as you can see, it just kinda snowballed... I've had my truck for almost 2 months now and love it! So to answer your questions... The original intent was for durability, but quickly turned into style points... I went with the aluminum arms just because when I was bashing it, I broke 3 or 4 of them and bent a ton of hinge pins when I had plastic bulkheads... A lot of people tell me the aluminum arms are a bad idea for the exact reason you told me... bending chassis... I put hardcore racing's titanium chassis on this (not the cut out light weight racing one, the solid chunk of mass one) to try to compensate...

This vehicle is a tank now, at the street races, someone hopped on my freq. and my truck took off like a rocket, it collapsed 2 folding tables, took a kid completely off his feet, hit a curb and did about 4 cartwheels before it took off straight for a parked truck. It slamed straight under the rear tire of the truck and wedged itself there and finally stopped. I took absolutely no damage what so ever and picked it up, set it on the track and was ready for the next race... if that's not durability, I don't know what is :)

Do you race your lean mean purple machine?

hey guys thanks for all the input the tmaxx is what i decided to get! thanks for all the replies, jordie

I m new to the web site. I’m partial to nitro tmaxx