New to Nitro is TMAXX a good choice?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordie2maxx

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am new to rc nitro and have the oportunity to get a tmaxx for fairly cheap is it a good choice for a newbie or should i look for something else?

i think that the maxx is a very good first nitro monster truck. it was my first one (but when i got it, the maxx was the only monster truck out:ha: ) but it is easy to work on and everything

bryan

the t-maxx i think is a veary good ride i own one.lot of hop ups out there for them.you are new to it.so go slow listen to the peps on rcnt. ask questions.and there will be alot of support here for you......

If you go with a maxx, be ready to spend some $ on it to make it durable for hard bashing. There's a lot you can do to and with the maxx. But, there's a lot that the maxx needs to make it drivable all day long for hard running.

I second that olds..fix-run , fi-x run, fix..

Easy to fix but fix it none the less.

I hear savages ate mote durable out of the box

The Maxx was my first Nitro vehicle and it wasn't too bad. Tuning the 2.5 can be a little frustrating but one you get it there it's a realy powerful engine. The truck itself is pretty durable although you will break stuff. Just upgrade with RPM parts and it will be a lot tougher.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my Maxx. Gotta love the smell of burnt nitro!

It is a great first time truck. As you gain experience, you can upgrade and modify as you see fit. There are tons of aftermarket parts for it.

It's a great first MT.....

I agree with Robmob and Olds totally. It all depends on what you expect it to do and what you actually do with it. The Stock Maxx can be allot of fun but if/when you wanna do some serious bashing your gonna have to invest some serious cash.

Its a horrible choice, you should just sell it...to me for umm.. $50...:bling: Just playing. Its a good truck! I own one myself and must be lucky or just have a very dependable one, cuz this too was my 1st truck and I havnt broke anything yet (Knocks on wood) But I've only had mine for a couple weeks, but I've done alot of runnin with it.

The T-Maxx was my first truck. It was OK, but I never did like the new 2.5 engine. The 2.5 engine is a pain to keep tuned, at least for me. The truck is pretty fast with that engine, but Traxxas just should have put a bigger engine in it. I mean, you can get 500 horsepower from a 350 Chevy, but it's a whole lot easier to get the same power from a 502.

I put the new Picco P2 .21 in my T-Maxx and now I truly enjoy blasting the truck around. It finally has all the power that Traxxas should have made it with.

As far as durability, my Maxx has been very good. It only breaks when I hit trees and other solid objects. ;-)

I aggre with 4u2nv I must have got a good engine or somethin like that because the engine has been great and I rerely have to tune it. I havent really broken too much besides for the one time I hit a curb at about 30. But one time I also hit a propane tank at about 30 and didn't break a thing. I would highly reccomend it as a first truck, it was my first truck and it has been a blast.

I sence another T-maxx/Savage war in the near future. But yes, the maxx is an excellent all around truck. I agree with everything that has been said in this post. Mine right now is a pretty bashable truck but there's quite a few dollars in it. The savage is more durable out of the box but it's also heavier for less speed, if u want durability ur gonna have to sacrifice some weight gain, $$$, and speed unless u put even more $$$ into it for a bigger engine.

The T-Maxx 2.5 is an EXCELLENT first nitro truck. I've bashed mine so hard and nothing has broken yet...Until yesturday. The only thing that has Broke is the spur gear "Big gear in front of ez start". That has held up from Aug. 20th "When I got the truck" till yesturday March 27th. Nothing has to be immediantly upgraded. The only thing that I wouldnt do is race with AA batterys for the Reciever. The maxx is a big truck with lots of power so it needs battery power. Get a venom or other brand NIMH reciever battery with charger. It will do you good in the long run. Other than that , you will have loads of fun with the maxx. I strongly suggest to get it. Good luck to ya man.

-SkYLiNe RaCeR

It's a great first MT. The parts are available everywhere. If u break something it's fairly easy to get parts.

Originally posted by Team 17
It's a great first MT. The parts are available everywhere. If u break something it's fairly easy to get parts.

This in fact was why I got a Traxxas. My LHS has to special order Savage stuff.. (I know, its not much of a hobby shop. I have to order Plane fuel..lol)

just keep in mind they don't nick name these truck T-CRAXX for nothing. I have broken almost EVERYTHINGon my truck

I broke the a-arm just going FAST across my front yard. NO I didn't hit anything.

but eh availability of parts is great. my LHS has TRAXXAS replament parts. I have learned to go away from there junk and get aftermarket. Which mean ORDERING anyways and in MOST cases ordering is CHEAPER then my LHS. unless u need 1 thing. YEAH OK its like doritos you can't just order 1 thing now can ya.

Originally posted by Chrisk

I broke the a-arm just going FAST across my front yard. NO I didn't hit anything.

Hey Chrisk...Come on man, think about this for a second. Your stock A-arms didn't just decided to break themselves. THe Stock Maxx A-arms are weak (especially compared to RPM) but they aren't made out of Balsa wood (LOL). The Vast majority of Stock A-arms that I've broken can be attributed to the stock hinge pins. THe stock crappy hinge pins will bend during bashing and romping and eventually snap out of the A-arms. Hell, You can bend the stock hingpins with just 4 foot jumps.

As for you guys that haven't broken anything on your stock Maxx's. Well, your not driving hard enough.

lol..I drive hard enough...lol... I just think I must ahve got a tuff one or something, cuz its taken a good bashin. Esp. since I'm a new driver. But I'm sure now that I say that Ill brake something..lol

mine must been real close to balsa wood. however now since I have spent a bit more cash on it it isn't breaking anywhere NEAR as much. I am actually able to have FUN with it now.