new racer Short Course Truck questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScaleJK4x4

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I am looking at getting into the short course hobby and I have a couple questions and in the end, looking to get an overall recommendation.

First off what is recommended, 4wd or 2wd. Please give me some pros and cons for both. I always love the 1:1 full scale 4wd CORR trucks, but with these trucks is there any advantage with 4wd.

Second, by reading thing on the internet I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Losi xxx-SCT, the SC10/ SC10 4x4, the Blitz, or the Traxxis Slayer or Slash. How is the Losi Ten-SCTE 4wd (couldnt find much on that model). Also I couldnt find much on the Duratrax Vendeta.

Also, I know it is a bigger scale, but any opinions on the CEN Matrix 5SC would be appreciated.

A couple of the aspects I am looking for is value, durability, options to upgrade (aftermarket parts), and speed.

In a way, i would like a Kit that i can have the experience of putting it together but RTR is fine. One things i am confused by is when you buy a kit, are you restricted to buying the electronics from that company as well. Or can you buy better electronics from another aftermarket company.

Also, motors. Brush-less and non Brush-less. What are the differences, and pros and cons of both.

Oh and uses. I will be mostly racing it around my 1 acre yard, maybe setting up a race course etc. Casual racing with other trucks, but nothing serious yet.

I know this is alot, but I recently got turned on by this hobby and I plan on getting one soon and a crawler in the future.

Thank you for all of your help!

Stay away from Cen. Duratrax wouldn't be a preferred choice either. Brushless motors make more power with less energy so they're always the best choice. 4wd is way funner in my opinion. More traction is always better.:)

4WD Has better control, because when you spin your rears in a turn, your fronts will still keep you going through the turn, with 2WD, most likely you'll just lose momentum and spin out. however, when having fun on wet pavement/ice/snow 2WD is superior, unless you're just tryin to go fast:\

2wd is not superior period. You get a tad smaller turning radius and a slightly lighter rig. That's it. 2wd takes more skill to control.

2wd is fun but as mentioned it requires more driving skill to be fast.

When going with a kit, you are free to pick and choose motors/electronics to fit your needs.

The Slayer you mentioned is the only nitro ,so if you plan to race with others you may want keep that in mind if everyone else is electric.

Brushless are more expensive and more powerful. Again this gets down to where/how you will run it and how much you want to spend doing it. For me,brushless is the way to go.

For larger scale - look at the HPI Baja 5SC :yes:

2wd is fun but as mentioned it requires more driving skill to be fast.

When going with a kit, you are free to pick and choose motors/electronics to fit your needs.

The Slayer you mentioned is the only nitro ,so if you plan to race with others you may want keep that in mind if everyone else is electric.

Brushless are more expensive and more powerful. Again this gets down to where/how you will run it and how much you want to spend doing it. For me,brushless is the way to go.

For larger scale - look at the HPI Baja 5SC :yes:

+1 on baja 5SC

That may be an investment down the road sometime. I have to talk the wife into my new hobby first! ;-)

haha! my suggestion: start a little smaller, like 1/8, or 1/10 scale, cause they stop faster (Instead of ramming straight through the garage door!) haha! but if you have big open space, i guess it doesn't really matter.... just don't listen to my meaningless babble :hehe: :kookoo:

haha! my suggestion: start a little smaller, like 1/8, or 1/10 scale, cause they stop faster (Instead of ramming straight through the garage door!) haha! but if you have big open space, i guess it doesn't really matter.... just don't listen to my meaningless babble :hehe: :kookoo:
I'm gonna start with 1/10 first. That was my thinking from the beginning. I was just wondering what people thought of the 5.

I'm gonna start with 1/10 first. That was my thinking from the beginning. I was just wondering what people thought of the 5.

it's da shizz. all that has to be said.

they are really the only way to go with 1/5 scale...

Back