New Picco Max .21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2767

RCTalk Talkaholic
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Alright guys, I just ordered one of these for the Revo and there is not much info on it but the info available is pretty good. The specs on it look pretty impressive and I also ordered a ST 3 shoe clutch. I am running a full RRP trans and FOC and RRP spur and clutch bell so I'm not worried about destroying any trans parts. Any of you guys running this engine yet?

Attachments

• PiccoPMax-1.jpg
    PiccoPMax-1.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
Hulkmaxx says they are a beast. ....I'm sure he will chime in for ya

I run the older counter part of that same engine and they are very impressive. Really good top speed and plenty of bottom end torque. If I can I will post a vid of my Revo running the Picco .21 after I am home from work. Mine will straight out perform the Ofna .28 maxx engine hands down, in the top end department.

I'd also like to see your vid once you get that Pico all hooked up.... I have that JL .28 MAX in my revo - for the price, I'm quite happy (less than half the price of the novarossi in my truggy). I absolutely love to drive this Revo, just pure 100% fun. Here is a short video of me goofing around with mine at the track

Last edited by a moderator:
If my vid ever uploads to youtube, I will post it up. It's not a track vid but it will show the power capability of the Picco. 21

Cool vid Revo! I hope mine performs equally as well! I took out the new 3.3 that it had in it and put it in my sons TMaxx and took out his old tired 2.5. Upon starting his TMaxx, the clutch blew apart and locked the motor. The trashed clutch spring and pieces of the shoe's are the only thing left of it and it destroyed his spur gear too! I did notice that when I switched out the clutch bells from the revo to the Maxx, that the spring was a little stretched out but thought it would be ok. I guess not!

Oops! Live and learn. Pics of the carnage?

Oh, yah... Clutch failures are always a mess. I normally do a thorough inspection after each gallon of fuel or whenever I have the motor out of the chassis. On my revo, now that I have that JL .28 MAX in it, I went w/ a 3 shoe aluminum clutch setup - the composite two shoe stock revo clutch just will not hold up to the stress of a much more powerful engine like your Picco.

Oh by the way, a lot of folks talk about those M2C clutches - I've found for the price, very expensive for what you get. I tried one and wore it out rather quickly... I switched over to the STRC ST4142C Aluminun 3-Shoe Clutch Conversion Kit - and have had good results. After a gallon, the shoes looked real nice - even wear, no mushrooming - just needed to do some real basic maint / cleanup. I paid about 1/2 the price for the STRC clutch setup on ebay as compared to the M2C clutch setup price. Live and learn I guess... Maybe I just had a bad clutch from M2C.

Just food for thought as you set up your kit. Enjoy

I went with the STRC 4142XS for the combo with the picco. Here are the pics from the clutch carnage from the Tmaxx. The clutch bell is wedged in between the spur and trans, the spur is melted in some areas and the clutch shoes.....Well, pics are worth 1000 words.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 330
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 290
Now that is carnage indeed.... darn composite shoes.

Well I got both the Rustler trans and the Maxx clutch issues fixed yesterday and they are both ready to go for the weekend. I also picked up a spektrum receiver so I can run the DX3s controller for both my Losi 8 and my Revo. The new Picco came in yesterday as well and I got it prepped and ready and mocked up to make sure everything fits properly. The new 3 shoe clutch should come in today and I will be ready to go! Excited to say the least!

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 288
Super cool...!!! I feel u're excitement - Wishing u much fun and thrills over the weekend.

Give ua all a thorough review on the engine chaos!

Here is a vid of my Revo running the Picco .21 Omega engine. They are virtually the same engine. I have had both power plants apart and they are almost identical engines. The new Picco has a little better porting done! MIne is running stock 2.5 gearing with a FOC. Slipper was cranked all the way down. And yes the bat mobile took a hard hit LOL! And I am running the Trinity pipe on this engine it has been my favorite pipe so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZtqcYsD7RyA

Last edited:
Mice punch on the bat mobile! I finished putting it all together this morning, I had no idea what a PIA putting together a 3 shoe clutch was, almost lost a spring because it shot across the garage lol. Why I was at it, I changed out the tower pro 996R throttle servo to a Spektrum 6040. The guys at the LHS said it was pretty aggressive but my whole revo is pretty aggressive so it should be just fine!:D

Enjoy that thing..... Wishin you much fun.

I just got back from the track today - I took my Revo w/ the JL.28 MAX and LOSI 8ight T 3.0. Well, believe as of today, I'm really thinking about officially retiring the Revo from the track, will stick w/ the truggy. I love the Revo, everything about it - but it is just not cut out for the track (I put enough $$s into the Revo for a truggy and a half... Nothing more to be done). My Revo is fully setup for racing, but the following breaks continuously:

a) Rear rocker arms - due to stress of jumps on the sway bars, which just rips the rockers apart where the rear sway bars attach to the plastic rocker arms.

b) Front sway bar - bolts keep stripping out from my front rocker arms.

c) Spur Gear - On my 3rd spur in the last three weeks, my JL .28 just eats the spur right off of this thing... I set the mesh perfectly, but still tears it up - I'm sure, linked to the impact of the landings as I absolutely need to run a firm slipper clutch to clear big jumps of any kind. I refuse to pay all of that money for steel gears makes no sense to me.

c) Pull start - Darn pull start given me calusses, hah ... Can't justify the cost of a starter box for this thing.

d) Steering system retention arm - Broken... Car couldn't turn left real well (reminded me of Derek Zoolander).

e) Rear Chassis - Always difficult to bolt on rear body mount, unless I use a new chassis (on my 3rd chassis as well). The rear wing is a blessing and a problem as during hard crashes, HUGE TORQUE MOMENT on the rear chassis due to whole weight of car on the wing - just slightly bends that thin aluminum chassis at the rear right up. Never the same after a good crash.

Nevertheless lots of good fun... just expensive and time consuming to maintain. Maybe I'm just venting... but believe today was it for the Revo's track day.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Nice..... !

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Here is a vid of my Revo running the Picco .21 Omega engine. They are virtually the same engine. I have had both power plants apart and they are almost identical engines. The new Picco has a little better porting done! MIne is running stock 2.5 gearing with a FOC. Slipper was cranked all the way down. And yes the bat mobile took a hard hit LOL! And I am running the Trinity pipe on this engine it has been my favorite pipe so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZtqcYsD7RyA

Nice.......... !!

Enjoy that thing..... Wishin you much fun.

I just got back from the track today - I took my Revo w/ the JL.28 MAX and LOSI 8ight T 3.0. Well, believe as of today, I'm really thinking about officially retiring the Revo from the track, will stick w/ the truggy. I love the Revo, everything about it - but it is just not cut out for the track (I put enough $$s into the Revo for a truggy and a half... Nothing more to be done). My Revo is fully setup for racing, but the following breaks continuously:

a) Rear rocker arms - due to stress of jumps on the sway bars, which just rips the rockers apart where the rear sway bars attach to the plastic rocker arms.

b) Front sway bar - bolts keep stripping out from my front rocker arms.

c) Spur Gear - On my 3rd spur in the last three weeks, my JL .28 just eats the spur right off of this thing... I set the mesh perfectly, but still tears it up - I'm sure, linked to the impact of the landings as I absolutely need to run a firm slipper clutch to clear big jumps of any kind. I refuse to pay all of that money for steel gears makes no sense to me.

c) Pull start - Darn pull start given me calusses, hah ... Can't justify the cost of a starter box for this thing.

d) Steering system retention arm - Broken... Car couldn't turn left real well (reminded me of Derek Zoolander).

e) Rear Chassis - Always difficult to bolt on rear body mount, unless I use a new chassis (on my 3rd chassis as well). The rear wing is a blessing and a problem as during hard crashes, HUGE TORQUE MOMENT on the rear chassis due to whole weight of car on the wing - just slightly bends that thin aluminum chassis at the rear right up. Never the same after a good crash.

Nevertheless lots of good fun... just expensive and time consuming to maintain. Maybe I'm just venting... but believe today was it for the Revo's track day.

---------- Post added at 11:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:37 PM ----------

Nice..... !

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

Nice.......... !!

Yep MT's are way harder on parts out on the track! But that's what makes them more fun LOL!

Well I .never got around to the tuning because the 3 shoe clutch will not work with the setup. The mesh will never sit right, I tried for hrs, the clutch made the bell sit just a little to far forward to the point that it notched teeth into the slipper clutch plate that the slipper pads sit on. I fought with it all day sunday and decided to just go back to the stock flywheel and clutch shoes. It does work perfectly with the stock flywheel and clutch. SO now the fine tuning begins and I should have it dialed in by tomorrow night!

Well I .never got around to the tuning because the 3 shoe clutch will not work with the setup. The mesh will never sit right, I tried for hrs, the clutch made the bell sit just a little to far forward to the point that it notched teeth into the slipper clutch plate that the slipper pads sit on. I fought with it all day sunday and decided to just go back to the stock flywheel and clutch shoes. It does work perfectly with the stock flywheel and clutch. SO now the fine tuning begins and I should have it dialed in by tomorrow night!

Awesome man, I just installed the Picco .21 in my buddies revo hope to start break in Tuesday! He is running the Integy 7075 evo clutch for the revo mesh was unbelievably easy to set. I notice Picco has changed there mount some not much adjustment in them!

I had to shim the cb back to make it not hit the slipper on th .26 max but was Fine on the .28 both run m2c clutches.

Back