New Notebook

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrechM

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Can you computer folks tell me if I've done ok on this purchase? $1399.00 plus tax. Our IT guys say they will install Win 2000 licensed for $100.00 and wax the XP Home Ed. Looked weak on the video at 32 mb. I can still take it back...
6011978cv1a.jpg

Toshiba P25 S509

17" widescreen XGA active-matrix display screen with 1440 x 900 resolution

80.0GB hard drive

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200 graphics controller with 32MB DDR video memory; built-in Harman/Kardon stereo speakers

i.LINK (IEEE 1394) interface and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports; Secure Digital memory card slot

Integrated high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b- and 802.11g-compliant)

Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN; V.92 high-speed modem

Weighs 9.9 lbs./1.8" thin for portable power; high-capacity 12-cell lithium-ion rechargeable battery

Windows XP Home Edition operating system preinstalled

Product Details

USB Ports 4 USB 2.0

Video Memory 32MB

Maximum CD-ROM Drive Speed No CD-ROM drive

Maximum DVD-ROM Drive Speed 8x

Modem 56 Kbps* ITU V.92 *Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.

MPEG Yes

Networking Integrated 10/100 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector); integrated wireless LAN (802.11b and 802.11g)

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

Parallel Ports 1

PCMCIA Slots 2

Pointing Device Touchpad pointing device

Processor Brand Intel® Pentium® 4 processor with Hyper-Threading Technology

Processor Speed 2.8GHz

Screen Size 17"

Serial Ports 0

Speakers Built-in Harman/Kardon stereo speakers

System Bus 800MHz

System Memory (RAM) 512MB

System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2.0GB

Type of Memory (RAM) DDR SDRAM

Audio Realtek ALC202 codec chip; Direct 3D sound

Cache Memory 512KB on-die Level 2

CD-ROM Drive No

CD-RW Drive Shared

Battery Type Lithium-ion

CD-RW Drive Speeds 16x4x24

Diskette Drive Optional

Diskette Drive Type External 3.5" 1.44MB floppy (optional)

Display Type Widescreen XGA (1440 x 900) active matrix

DVD-ROM Drive Shared

DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive Yes, DVD-RW/CD-RW drive

DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive Speeds 2x1x8 DVD-RW; 2x DVD-RAM (write); 16x4x24 CD-RW

Game Ports 0

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce FX Go 5200

Hard Drive Type EIDE

Hard Drive Size 80.0GB

Included Software Microsoft Works, Drag'n Drop CD+DVD, InterVideo WinDVD Creator Plus, Notebook Maximizer, Intuit Quicken New User Edition, Norton AntiVirus 2003, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Toshiba Custom Utilities, Satellite Series Online Documentation

IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1

Thats a sweet laptop, a good friend picked the exact same one up before heading back to Iraq. It's pretty sweet, however the wireless didn't work in it :(

-Michael

Looks sweet dude! Why do ya want to ditch XP? Don't let HumboldtBlazer hear you say that. I don't like XP but it is a good OS.

WoodiE, thanks. The wireless hasn't been tested yet. All of the hardware to hook it up is still in the bag. The picture quality is incredible.

cajunVFR, It's the home version of XP. We run NT and Win 2000 at the office and I'm much more familiar with it. XP Home sort of reminds me of fufu in drag...

Stretch, Windows 2000 has a lot more security options built into it and well from working with it now I am really liking it compared to XP. I jumped straight from 98 to XP and it was such a welcome change. Than I got my laptop about August of last year and it came loaded with 2000 as I am learning this system right now. It's very user friendly and If I'm not mistaken has better security options from the get go.

EDIT: sweet laptop I think you did really well man

newnitrofan, That is what my IT guys were saying, security and stability.

Since I know zip about most of it I really do appreciate the feedback.