New Nitro RC Cheap

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Japple

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I will hopefully be getting my first Nitro RC this summer (I'm 14) and was looking for suggestions. I want an off-road rig with plenty of optional upgrades/customization parts. I'm not really looking for a basher or racer, I just want a reliable RC on a pretty low budget.I like the looks of truggies and stadium trucks, I like the low mounted bodies. Are HSPs good? What about Redcat?

This is most definitely a loaded question, a lot of opinion here, but I want to hear what people have to say.

At the moment this looks good, how's cen's quality?

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/nx/premier4.html

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to save a little more and get a quality rig from Traxxas, HPI, Losi or Associated. If you start off with a low end truck you will probably spend more in the long run because of the low quality, it is also harder to find replacement parts or upgrades. What is your budget?

If your leaning towards a stadium truck, I would suggest the traxxas rustler. They have great aftermarket support and replacement parts are found at just about any local hobby shop. If your wanting a truggy, take a look at the Losi ten-t. A bit pricey, but well worth the money. As SchrodeMode stated, price will be a big deciding factor in what you get. Stay away from redcat, exceed or any other off brand rig, they are cheaply made and parts can be hard to find.

I agree with both SchrodeMode and Mudslinger33

I would go to your local hobby shop and see what they carry.

you are going to want the support from a hobby shop if you never had a nitro before

they have the knowledge to help you get started.

as stated before cheaper is not allways better.

I would save and get something better so you will be happier in the long run.

you still have to buy
fuel
temp gauge
glow ignitor

take you time and look around
maybe you can find a used nitro to get you started to learn with

I wouldnt recommend cen or HSP and I'm not very found of Redcat either even though they have shown some improvement in some of their newest kits. Like the other guys said I would stick with Traxxas, HPI, Associated, Losi, OFNA etc. (namebrands) Truggy is probably gonna do better off road than a stadium truck and it will be easier to drive since theyre 4WD and STs are 2WD. Not that Stadium trucks arent fun I have 2 Rustlers. One for one road and one for off road. Monster trucks are of course gonna be the best for offroading and if you wanna go that way I would probably suggest an HPI Savage to start with.

Well before anything, you should decide if you're gonna go 1/10 or 1/8. I have a 1/10 hsp tyrannosaurus and a 1/10 hpi bullet, both run great, hsp is cheaper but the aftermarket upgrade list is mindblowing, there's a guy in au that bought every alluminium upgrade part on the market and it looks wicked, also himoto isn't bad, but the .18 vertex motors can be a bother. If on the other hand you decide to go 1/8 I personally would suggest the cen 7.7 gst, thundertiger sledgehammer 8.5, savage xl, savage x. I know someguys would suggest that the cen is a no go, but believe me that thing can take a beating like nothing else. And yes hpi speaks for itself.

If I didn't mension other names its not because I dont recommend them, its that I haven't driven them and cannot comment. This is just my opinion on the above mentioned trucks.

As stated above. If ur local hobby shops has spare parts for the truck ur after ur laughing. If they don't it's going to cause u more problems than its worth... I'm in Australia and traxxas are the biggest name brand over here. Parts for them everywhere. But the cost is a worry so I buy from states if I can wait which most of the time I do due to the prices being double over here. Try find a seconds hand revo or savage. There are plenty around and they usually have all the hop ups installed that ull want. People just get rid of them to buy new rigs or to pay for more important things in life.

Back