New Motor Breakin.. Opinions Welcome!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickstix

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Well, I just got a new motor.. This is my 3rd Nitro engine, so I'm getting pretty familar with them.. So I'm debating trying the "heat cycle" breakin method, posted at the top of this forum.. What do you guys think?? The motor is a new SH .18 and the directions call for the old traditional "1st tank idle only, 2nd tank 1/4 throttle figure 8's, 3rd tank..." I dont mind that method, but if the heat cycle method will work on any nitro, I'm game to give it a shot.. What do ya'll think?? Thanks for your opinions!!

This is the method I'm using for my new engine. Granted this is my FIRST brandy new engine....everything is going great thus far.

http://www.trackstarrc.com/trackstar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63&Itemid=89

Preferred Alpha Plus Engine break in procedures.

By Jimmy Wright

The first step after removing the engine from its box and packaging, is to set up the carb in the manner that will be used for your vehicle. (i.e. the fuel nipple direction and carb angle if not 90 degrees from the crank centerline) be careful when tightening the main needle housing as it is brass and can strip or break if over tightened. Also the carb pinch bolt does not need to be super tight. I tighten it as I would a screw into plastic and then give it another 1/8th turn. While you are at the carb make sure that the high speed needle (HSN) adjustment is one turn out from flush and that the low speed needle (LSN) is turned in 2 full turns from flush (or there about being that this is just a starting point)

The next step is to install your flywheel and clutch that you will use. After this is accomplished rotate the piston to near top dead center and remove the back plate. Take a clean vessel of fresh fuel and wash the assembly lube out of the engine. Two quick douses is all it will take. (This is done to aid in the start up process as the assembly lube does not burn well and can make initial start up difficult) Reinstall the back plate and tighten the screws. At this point it is a good practice to check the head bolts as well to make sure they are tight.

Now install your pipe and air filter along with a throttle return spring or device such as the GMK “Carb O’s”. (I highly suggest this as ROAR and many club tracks mandate them and it’s just a good practice to use them) Install the engine into your vehicle and don’t forget to set the gear mesh properly also installing your fuel line and pressure line. (About 6-8 inches is recommended in most all pipe applications)

With no glow plug in the engine or fuel in the tank, I put my car on a well charged, good starter box and take a heat gun (or good hair drier) and heat the block and heat sink to a minimum of 150 and up to 180 degrees F. My method is to get the engine to 180 and rotate the engine on the starter box for 2-3 five second bursts. Now fill your tank and prime the fuel line. (I personally use a syringe to push air into the tank using the pressure line before attaching to the pipe) Install the proper glow plug of your choice. (A hot plug will allow for easier start up and tuning) Make sure the engine is still at or above 150 degrees, checking it as you would at the glow plug. If not reheat the block and heat sink to at least 150 as instructed before.

Now that your engine is at a good temp to start and you are primed, go ahead and fire it up. You will probably need to screw in the idle screw just about half of a turn in (or 6 hours) to allow the engine to run at a med-high idle on its own. Once started and idling take the temp at the head again you should see a steady rise in temp. Make sure it stays idling steady with no throttle input at 180-200 degrees. If the ambient temp is cold I suggest wrapping the cooling head (heat sink) with a towel, aluminum foil or what we use; a sweat band for the wrist.

If the temps do not rise or stay up between 180-200 turn the LSN in (clockwise) a couple hours at a time (leaning the bottom) making sure to recheck your temps between each adjustment. By doing this your idle may increase. If so just reset the idle by turning the idle adjustment screw counter clockwise until the desired idle is reached. (a mid-high idle is suggested) Run the engine this way for almost the complete tank making sure that you don’t run the tank dry (as you will have a run away and possibly damage your engine) Once you shut the engine off (Pinching the air filter boot is the best method of shutting down as is stopping it by the flywheel. Plugging the pipe stinger is never recommended as it puts undo back pressure into the case and against the seals and orings.) Remember to rotate the crankshaft around to BDC (Bottom Dead Center) and allow the engine to cool at least under 100*F.

Fill the tank for the second run and heat the engine block and head to above 150 and fire back up. This tank will just be idled through until its almost dry again making sure that you don’t run the tank dry and remember to rotate the crankshaft around to BDC (Bottom Dead Center) and allow the engine to cool at least under 100*F before the next run.

For the next run, fill the tank and heat the engine back up above 150 and fire it up. Get the temp back up to where it has been running and then lean the LSN a little at a time until the engines idle rises higher then drop the idle back down to a med-high idle (you may need to do this a couple times until the engine temp comes up around 210-220. Make sure you recheck the temp often as to not let the engine climb temp too high. We’re looking for a steady idle temp like before.

Now here is where things get a little less boring. Don’t yet shut your engine off toward the end of tank three. Instead fill the tank back up while still running and pull about 1/4 throttle just for a second but not too quickly as you may kill it. (If so just fire right back up) throttle it open again to somewhat clean the engine and pipe out. Let idle for about 10 seconds and repeat pulling slow at about ¼ to ½ throttle each time for 2-3 times. Let idle again. What you are looking for here is the beginning of where you start sneaking up on the tune. You will need to tune the low end back to reach 170-180 degrees only using the throttle to clean out the engine. Once you are back down to this point shut the engine down as you have before and let sit to under 100 degrees F. Also at this point if you have a towel or foil on the head, remove it.

Tank number four is where you start things off as you have before with heating the block and head, filling the tank and firing your engine up. You will now use your radio (if you haven’t already) to warm the engine up as if you were getting ready to run on the track. Pulling the throttle open in short bursts warming the engine back up to 180 degrees and then putting a bench tune on it. Once it sounds just about right, keep running it until the tank is almost dry by using the throttle as before. At the end of the tank shut it down and always remember to rotate the crank to BDC.

You will notice by paying close attention to your engine during the break in process that the temps and idle will generally stay right around where you set the engine to begin with. That is until you hear it start to break in. You will see the temp change, the idle become erratic (dropping and raising to and from your preset idle) and if you have a keen ear, you’ll notice that the engine’s pinch will stop “singing”. (There is a distinct sound that an engine with pinch makes. It’s hard to describe but when you hear it you’ll know)At this point you are almost there. I suggest at least 4 tanks of the above mentioned procedure even if the “singing” stopped, the temps dropped and / or the idle started to fluctuate.

So…. It’s been four tanks or more of baby sitting your engine and now you want to drive. Well, go ahead! Just keep in mind that you need to sneak up on the tune and it’s not recommended that you tune it to kill and go race your new engine right away. Give it at least 2 tanks of running in your vehicle before putting a race tune on your engine. During your first driving run make sure you have everything double checked especially your receiver batteries. Now that you’re ready, pre warm the engine, fire it up and give it a few minutes to build its own heat. Take a temp reading you should be upward of 160-180 to set out on the track. Run a few laps to build more heat being easy on the throttle. Bring it back in for a temp check. You should be just over 200 degrees. I suggest running your Alpha Plus for these two tanks upward of 220-230. The Alpha Plus engines have a very efficient cooling head on them and thus you may have to lean the needles a bit. The LSN will be pretty far in from flush at optimum tune. The HSN needs to stay right around flush but conditions do vary, but anything beyond 2 turns in from flush that we have seen is too lean. With a very accurate temp gun we have run the “S”, “Z” and “F” motors anywhere in between 240 to 280 degrees with great results. Don’t be afraid of temps as long as the engine is running correctly without running-on or lean bogging.

If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected]

Give the heat cycle method a shot. Your ready for it. The above post is just a variation off a heat cycle. SH engines breakin method works great though. Just allow it to fully cool between tanks. It's still considered a heat cycle.
I tear all my new engines down completely,wipe everything down thoroughly....you'll be amazed at all the little specs of aluminum, and other crud you find. Generally it gets flushed right out with the rich needle settings on the intial start. I just don't care to take the chance. I have opened engines and found parts like wrist pins missing. After you run it you have no proof it was their fault, not yours.

I tear all my new engines down completely,wipe everything down thoroughly....you'll be amazed at all the little specs of aluminum, and other crud you find. Generally it gets flushed right out with the rich needle settings on the intial start. I just don't care to take the chance. I have opened engines and found parts like wrist pins missing. After you run it you have no proof it was their fault, not yours.

WTH?!?!?! Do we hang out all the time and I'm not aware of it?!?!?!? lol

Scrogg is definitely on point here. I do the same with every new engine I get and you will truely be surprised to know that every engine I've bought (EVERY SINGLE ONE) has a nice mess of aluminum dust/sludge inside it when they are brand new out of the box.

My break-in differs from those instructions as I do not let my engines sit and idle. I gently drive them.

I don't run them any more rich than absolutely necessary during break-in. Running too rich causes it to run too cool and also causes the engine to load up with fuel excessively which can cause the engine to flood and stall. This puts an excess amount of strain on the con-rod and piston face.

I usually run in about 5 minute increments. Between each 5 minute span, I put the piston at BDC and let it cool, then I heat it up with a hair drier (or heat gun), fire it up and run another 5 minutes. I usually do this for about 500cc's of fuel. As I run each time span, I lean it out just a bit usually to keep the temps up as close to 210F as I can. By the time I've burned 500cc's, the engines are usually loosening up a bit and are accepting tune better. Then I run in about 8-10 minute increments (usually a full tank on whatever I'm driving), fill it up while running and run another 8-10, then let it cool. As I run the engine, I slowly accelerate and decelerate pretty much constantly. Not until I get at least 500cc's through do I go past 3/4 throttle. Even then, I just hit WOT for a second to clear the engine/pipe and let off.

By the time I hit 1500-2000 cc's of fuel, I'm usually tuning for performance, but I still run a hair on the rich side clear up to a gallon or so. Then I just tune as I see fit for performance or weather.

This is how I've broken in pretty much all the engines I've ran to date, except for my first ":n00bie:" engine. It suffered a horrible fate and as a result had a short life (about 3 gallons).

Every other engine I've owned has lasted 10+ gallons before needing a pinch. Keep in mind bearings still need replacing periodically to get that kind of life out of them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, as usual!! I do like the pre-warming of the case, before initial startup! I dont have a heat gun, but I do have an old hair dryer I'll break out!! And yes, it's definitely going to be opened and flushed out before I start. I'm also going to seal it up as I put it back together, with some Copper Delux RTV I got for the other engine.. After all that I'm gonna do a variation of the heat cycle (real similar to what Olds posted) and see how she does!! Thanks again for sharin the knowledge!! :)

Olds, that's pretty much how I break mine in as well. No point in punishing an engine with too much fuel. It's just as bad as running too lean IMO.
I did a 2 minute idle cycle for the intial start of my new engine, just for warranty purposes. My JL said to idle a whole tank to break the rod in... no thank you. All my new mills hit the ground running as soon as I have a decent idle @ 200F. Quick bench tune, and I start driving the rig.

Heat cycle method here as well, with my own little variation on things. On a new motor, I'll tear it down to clean out the crap as Olds mentioned. Then I fill it with ARO and turn it over in short bursts with the plug in but a little loose to let things wear in just a bit without having any other heat being generated other than the friction of the piston on the sleeve contact. After that, I'll flush the motor with ARO and then use an air compressor on low PSI to blow it out with the plug out and exhaust removed to get any left over FOD out of there. I then run almost a tank on the stand, blipping the throttle every 20 seconds or so to avoid it loading up and going over rich, all while watchign head temps. After that, put it on the ground and run 3-4 tanks gradually leaning it out, and getting on it more and more. By the 5th tank, I'm at about 90% full tune. I did my OS .12 this way over 5 gallons ago, and it still has decent compression.

Back