New Guy, New Nitro. Looking for some tips and answers.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sketchy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,
Coming directly from the "Introduce Yourself" sub forum. I have been given a Kyosho model. It is a Pure Ten Alpha GP Subaru. It hosts a GX12 Engine. By the looks of things it's a really old model.

However, it is running. My father helped me getting running, as he is quite apt with model engines being heavily into R/C Aircraft. I am also assuming everything is like a standard beginner kit?

So, can anyone tell me a few things about this kit?

Do I have to stick with Kyosho parts to upgrade it?

It is a 200mm wide body shell, will any body shells of that size fit it? I am into Rally and Touring style cars. but I'd like something other than a Subaru. Maybe a Toyota Supra Touring, or Castrol GT4 Celica Rally (like I used to have when I was young in a Tamiya electric kit)

Can I replace Engines?

Basically what I am asking, is can I just upgrade this chassis (within measurements) to what I would like my car to be? With it being an older model, will more recent/modern parts fit it?

I apologize if all this sounds newbie, but then again...I am...I havn't had an R/C Car for a very, very long time.

Edit: Here's some pics of the kit.

KYY0edw.png

YfxNNlW.png

Slc67jb.png

Last edited:
On road lids are 190 or 200mm. Any 200 will fit it.
Other than that, it hardly looks used. Have you started it yet? You might be very happy with what's now in it.

HPI makes the best bodies IMHO and they have the best selection. Any major online hobby shop or any local hobby shop should be able to get what you need.

Proline also makes nice lids for road cars.

@Rolex

It says on the box it's 200mm wide. So yeah :) Cool :D Thanks. Yes, I've had it running. It seems to run pretty sweet, but we are in a very close radius community here. My next door neighbour does not like noise. Hence the council letter about my guitar some time ago, haha.

I am happy for now, what's in it. I am just wondering if this gets "serious". can I upgrade it or...am I better off saving for a new kit while i have fun with this?

@srusinek

I've been browsing HPI and I think I have mentally spent a LOT of cash. There are some really nice lids on there. at 20 quid a go I am tempted for a few I like.

@hamz9561

I haven't seen Proline yet. I'll check them out. Thanks.

Thanks a ton guys :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some real beauties in on-road bodies.
This is the Saleen S7R, and I have 3 others waiting for paint. The '56 Nomad wagon, the Mustand 500GT and the '63 split window Vette.

s7c.jpg

Man, that's looks sweet. Real nice paint job. I've seen the Mustang shells. So close to clicking that buy button. Just tinkering at the moment though, running it and playing around. Getting used to controlling it. This could be bad for my bank account :/

You need a dress shell and a beater shell. Make a mistake while running a beautiful lid and it's a pain that runs clear through you. :whhooo::\

This hobby or any hobby for that matter is never good on the walet. Just look at how much your dad has into his planes. I'm sure he's got nearly a mint tied up into those things.

@hamz9561 That looks real nice. Nice shape to that car :)

@Rolex That makes perfect sense. I dont really want to bash up the Impreza shell either, just 'cause it's part of the original kit. That might be a "just me" thing.

@srusinek Ha, yes. There's a fair amount tied up in his models. I'm not about to go out and go crazy. A bit at a time.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back