New ESC installed and now I need to give my Stampede 2wd a push to get it going

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLiCKWiDNiCK

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
So I upgraded my stock ESC and brushed motor with an ESC and brushless motor. Then I broke a part of the front suspension when I crashed. I got the new parts fixed the suspension, but the rc wouldn't go. I bought a replacement ESC cause when I tried this other ESC that I mistakenly bought, because it wasn't big enough, the motor ran well and I figured it was probably the upgraded ESC I bought that had been burnt out. The new ESC, a 120A made by fuwinkr, worked good to run the motor sitting on my lap, but when I brought the rc outside and put it down to start driving it around, but the rc wouldn't get it going unless I gave it a little push. I saw on other forums that it could be fixed by reprogramming ESC, but I have no programming card, though I've seen that the configuration of the ESC can be reprogrammed just with inputs on the transmitter. Can anyone give me a hand to fix having to give the rc a push to get it to start driving? If so, it'd be much appreciated, Thanks in advance!

So I upgraded my stock ESC and brushed motor with an ESC and brushless motor. Then I broke a part of the front suspension when I crashed. I got the new parts fixed the suspension, but the rc wouldn't go. I bought a replacement ESC cause when I tried this other ESC that I mistakenly bought, because it wasn't big enough, the motor ran well and I figured it was probably the upgraded ESC I bought that had been burnt out. The new ESC, a 120A made by , worked good to run the motor sitting on my lap, but when I brought the rc outside and put it down to start driving it around, but the rc wouldn't get it going unless I gave it a little push. I saw on other forums that it could be fixed by reprogramming ESC, but I have no programming card, though I've seen that the configuration of the ESC can be reprogrammed just with inputs on the transmitter. Can anyone give me a hand to fix having to give the rc a push to get it to start driving? If so, it'd be much appreciated, Thanks in advance!
Lower the pinion gear might help.

Also, off brand ESC seem to suck.

find the directions to program with radio turn start punch up.

As mentioned above it could be one or both of those. I had a few Traxxas first gen vxl escs do that. The fix in my case was to replace the esc, a call made by Traxxas.

I hope your is much simpler then that.

find the directions to program with radio turn start punch up.
Where do you think I could find the directions? Because I googled it, only one quick search, and I couldn't find any directions or instructions.
Lower the pinion gear might help.

Also, off brand ESC seem to suck.
The pinion is the big plastic one? Or the one on the motors shaft? Cause I'm running a 38t and a 19t

The pinion is on the motor shaft. The spur is the big plastic one.

A 38T spur? Are you sure? That is a 2:1 ratio, which is really, really steep. If that is the case, I can see why you have to push it to get it going. How hot is your motor getting when you run the car?

We are building our first Traxxas Slash (similar platform) and we're running a 12T/56T combo, which comes out to 4.66:1. The stock ratio supplied with the Stampede is 11/54 or optional 17/54 if my googlefu is working correctly. That is 4.909 or 3.176 respectively.

all info I have seen says manual came with new esc. with reviews lie I have read why did you buy?. are you trying to run with censored motor? if yes nothing will help it get .

So I contacted the company I got the first ESC from and told them the ESC burned out after 3 times running it. They told me theyd replace it and had a new one to my house in three days! That was the fastest response time I've ever had from any online company. Anyway I have the new ESC in and noticed the throttle just being, off a little bit or something and I bought the programing card for it but can't find much info on what settings would work good with my stampede, and I dont know if any of the settings may wreck something if I've got such a quick gear setup, I just don't know.

So what do you have in the truck now? ESC, motor, spur gear, pinion, are the tires stock?

You're not giving clear info here, so it's hard to diagnose correctly.

If the pic below is your ESC, its not really a 120A ESC imo. Id guess its a 60A at best, maybe even a 45A. Cheap Chinese electronics usually lie about their specs and even the specs given recommend this ESC for use with on road, rally, drift car, etc etc which also points to it being a much smaller ESC than 120A. 120A ESCs are usually found in heavy 4WD 1/10 scale kits or light duty 1/8 scale kits. The first thing Id try is dropping your pinion down from 19T to about 12T and see how it runs.
61fjbqn7+6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

After dropping the pinion down then you'll be able to play with the ESC settings a lot more and here would be settings you can play with. Technically you can play with any of them but these should be pretty safe to play with. The black boxes are the factory ESC settings and anything I've highlighted in green should be a safe setting and you can experiment with different settings if you want. Technically you can experiment with any of the settings but Id get to know the ESC more first before playing with some of the more advanced settings.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
This is what I'm running on my stampede 2wd with a 19t pinion gear and a 38t spur gear. Stock differential and a metal idle gear.
If the pic below is your ESC, its not really a 120A ESC imo. Id guess its a 60A at best, maybe even a 45A. Cheap Chinese electronics usually lie about their specs and even the specs given recommend this ESC for use with on road, rally, drift car, etc etc which also points to it being a much smaller ESC than 120A. 120A ESCs are usually found in heavy 4WD 1/10 scale kits or light duty 1/8 scale kits. The first thing Id try is dropping your pinion down from 19T to about 12T and see how it runs.
View attachment 151724

After dropping the pinion down then you'll be able to play with the ESC settings a lot more and here would be settings you can play with. Technically you can play with any of them but these should be pretty safe to play with. The black boxes are the factory ESC settings are and anything I've highlighted in green should be a safe setting and you can experiment with different settings if you want. Technically you can experiment with any of the settings but Id get to know the ESC more first before playing with some of the more advanced settings.
View attachment 151725
Yeah, I ordered that blue ESC. But I switched out for the black and red one that I posted with the parts list. Thank you for the chart, the one on the back of the programming card is waaaay too hard to read.

Screenshot_20220902-160036.jpg

Screenshot_20220902-160026.jpg

Screenshot_20220902-160006.jpg

As I said earlier, that pinion/spur combo you are running is way too steep. You are going to burn up your motor and/or ESC with that I am guessing. 19/38 comes out to a 2:1 ratio. The stock ratio is 4.909:1. Since the Stampede runs those big tires, it will be best to stay close to stock gear ratios to keep your motor from overheating. I would get an infrared temp gun and monitor motor temps. If it gets towards 160°F, I'd stop and run a taller spur or shorter pinion, or both.

That ESC is the same exact ESC as the blue one. It uses the same exact programming card.

That ESC and Motor combo should work fine with a 2WD Stampede but you definitely need to drop your pinion down to about 11T or 12T. Otherwise you're most likely going to keep experiencing cogging and overheat your motor and/or ESC. Thats a pretty high kv motor for an off road kit, especially one being run in grass.

Invest in a cheap IR temp gun and keep tabs on motor and ESC temps.

I am betting with a 4370kv motor, even an 11t pinion is still going to be a bit too much. And I am also doubtful that the slot the motor locates in will have even room to slide close enough to mesh. So I would suggest stepping up to a bigger spur as well. Just a guess though after working on the Slash this past couple weeks, but motor adjustment might be an issue with that spur and smaller pinions.

As I said earlier, that pinion/spur combo you are running is way too steep. You are going to burn up your motor and/or ESC with that I am guessing. 19/38 comes out to a 2:1 ratio. The stock ratio is 4.909:1. Since the Stampede runs those big tires, it will be best to stay close to stock gear ratios to keep your motor from overheating. I would get an infrared temp gun and monitor motor temps. If it gets towards 160°F, I'd stop and run a taller spur or shorter pinion, or both.
I measured it at 61c one time

Are you sure its a 38 tooth spur? I have a 2wd stampede that my daughter runs and I've worked on several. Never seen a spur that small on one. Usually in the high 40 to low mid 50 range.

I have installed that ESC and motor combo on an Arrma Granite voltage and while its not upper end quality, it should easily wheelie a 2wd stampede geared moderately.

Have you counted the teeth on the spur? Do you have any other gears?

Are you sure its a 38 tooth spur? I have a 2wd stampede that my daughter runs and I've worked on several. Never seen a spur that small on one. Usually in the high 40 to low mid 50 range.

I have installed that ESC and motor combo on an Arrma Granite voltage and while its not upper end quality, it should easily wheelie a 2wd stampede geared moderately.

Have you counted the teeth on the spur? Do you have any other gears?
Oh, I was mistaken, it's a 86t spur gear

Me personally never had any luck with those cheap eBay esc, and I had at least 5. They either don't work at all or die within 3 packs. I know they are a little expensive but hobbywing is proven and it works

Me personally never had any luck with those cheap eBay esc, and I had at least 5. They either don't work at all or die within 3 packs. I know they are a little expensive but hobbywing is proven and it works
Yeah, I just wanted something cheap to see what kind of benefit upgrading to a brushless would get me, if I need a new eventually I'll probably go with a tried and true brand

With that gear combo, the problem is definitely your esc settings.

Back