New Dodge RAM lid

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newnitrofan

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Sup guys,

Well I finally ponied up for a new lid for my Savage. Got me a Dodge Ram Truck from HPI. I am going to have a different sort of a flamed paint job on it. I have half of it masked already. I only have rattle cans. Problem I am tossing around in my mind is to make the main color black with traditional yellow flames or should I make it Yellow with Black flames. Any Help would be sweet. This is only what I have done so far.
2321Terraces_pics_314-med.jpg

2321Terraces_pics_316-med.jpg

2321Terraces_pics_317-med.jpg

2321Terraces_pics_319-med.jpg

EDIT: I am in the process of putting on a second type of flamed paint mask it will cover the whole front end of the truck and run back. I am thinking of using Metallic Black as the main color pull off the front end mask and using bright yellow, than pull off the mask that is showing and using indy silver. Any ideas?? OK just added the second mask think it turned out ehh alright. I'm still toying around with colors but I will have it all painted this weekend. Later

Last edited:
I havent even done my savage body yet damn.

Nice lid. I am sure whatever you decide to do with it, it will turn out nice. Post some pics when you get done.

2321Terraces_pics_323-med.jpg

I decided to use black for the main color I think I am going to use indy silver for the flames and stuff. The masking job didn't turn out as well as i would've liked but it will have to do.

lol looks like my jeep body paint job.

It's looking good so far.

looks like the paint mask wasn't applied all the way to the body)air bubbles) when putting down paint masks, try to squeeze allt he air bubbles out, dont lay the whole mask down on the body at once, slowly roll the mask off the sheet, if u do get a air, u can try to pop it with a needle or use a credit card and try to push the air bubble out from under the paint mask. Or the black paint wasn't completely dry before u tried to remove the paint mask, causing the lines not to be neat and clean. dotn warry i have done stuff like that before, u learn from ur mistakes, and the key thing when painting bodies, is to be patient and not to rush it.

later

Yeah this lid will not look as nice as I planned but none the less I will make it work of course if anything it will be a good basher body. I have a decent prepainted savage body stock one that I really don't like but it will do the trick. God I need to get some bashing in this weekend. Late

Ok it is finally finished here are the pics, this is only the fourth body I've painted. Not as I planned but I think it turned out alright.
2321Terraces_pics_018-med.jpg

2321Terraces_pics_023-med.jpg

2321Terraces_pics_008-med.jpg

2321Terraces_pics_015-med.jpg

When painting with rattle cans make sure you get the paint warm, all your masking down tight and spray a VERY light coat around all of your masking. This will seal the masking some once the paint dries and doesn't allow alot of paint under the mask. If you get any paint under the mask with a light coat, you'll see it and hopefully be able to reset the masking before you paint also.

Hmm I like that body I think thast what iam gonna get as my next savage body.

Thx for the tips wardo. I think on my next one I am going to try some liquid mask around the edges of the paint mask. I dunno I kind of think anything almost looks better than the stock pre painted savage body.

hey "newnitrofan" is that a Dodge ram 2500 or 3500..cause it looks like it has duelly fenders?

Nitroking, towerhobbies says it's just a 2002 dodge ram. The sticker kit does have a sticker that says it's a 1500. I do agree that it looks like a dually though.

ook cause i know they dont make duellys in the 1500 or 2500 just the 3500

Yeah I think HPI messed up on that one. But none the less it's still kinda cool for the savage

You just need that 2 wheel adaptor in the back.

A quick tip.... Right before your fist coat, use a hair dryer to warm up the masking. Then smooth out all the outlined edges. The heat makes the masking manageable and lets you really get into the contours of the body. Then spray a light coat all around the masks to seal them to the body. This will prevent your masking from lifting & getting paint bleeds... It really takes patience, but for a really nice paint job, you need to do a multitude of light coats with adequate dry time of at least a few hours between them... Nice job none the less...

ImBroken- Thanks for the tips on working with masks. I hadn't heard that before and when I do my next one I will for sure remember to do this. I am going to do an Audi TT body for my RS4 3SS and might try a little bit of carbon fiber. I have a sticker for it but just dont' know how it will work out. Also thanks for the compliment that coming from a guy who turns out some kick ass lids. Late

Back